Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've been out with tendonitis for seven months and put on just over a stone in that time, I've only trained for a month and a half and then only twice a week yet I still ran the first half like I was fully fit. Entirely my own fault for over-estimating my abilities. I even said to [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] "I'll probably go off too fast".

if you were wearing the vintage stripes then I'm pretty sure you breezed past me at about 4 to 5 k, the last bit of the road with the u-turn.

You ? Going off too fast ? Who'd have thunk it ?? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You ? Going off too fast ? Who'd have thunk it ?? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

:lolol: I know, it's unusual isn't it?

Great run yourself mate, I can honestly say that i think 17 miles on the trails would have been preferable to a road 10K today.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
:lolol: I know, it's unusual isn't it?

Great run yourself mate, I can honestly say that i think 17 miles on the trails would have been preferable to a road 10K today.

Haha, it was yesterday as well. Loved every minute (except getting out of the minibus for my third leg). Bloody hate short (and long, in fact) road races [emoji23][emoji23]

D Block blue

Feb 23, 2009
West Sussex la la la
if you were wearing the vintage stripes then I'm pretty sure you breezed past me at about 4 to 5 k, the last bit of the road with the u-turn.
Yes it was I and was feeling rather good at that point and well done today, you still had a very good time in my eyes and sounds like it will only get better again in time. After the u turn the heat difference from running into the breeze was a little sapping too to the point I wish I wore a lighter top/vest.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yes it was I and was feeling rather good at that point and well done today, you still had a very good time in my eyes and sounds like it will only get better again in time. After the u turn the heat difference from running into the breeze was a little sapping too to the point I wish I wore a lighter top/vest.

Glad you had a good run. You have to dump the Albion shirt to knock a good few seconds off your time, unless Paul Barber gets an Albion running vest in the club shop. Well done for yours and everyones efforts today and [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] buys the beers.

Good effort by Dazzer and team yesterday on the SDW relay. I like the look of that but the logistics look a nightmare.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Glad you had a good run. You have to dump the Albion shirt to knock a good few seconds off your time, unless Paul Barber gets an Albion running vest in the club shop. Well done for yours and everyones efforts today and [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] buys the beers.

Good effort by Dazzer and team yesterday on the SDW relay. I like the look of that but the logistics look a nightmare.

It's pretty simple. Each team has a minibus, driver and six runners. Once entered, sort team, allocate legs, recce them (unless you're brave/stupid), get allocated start time based on expected finish time (teams go off in groups every 30 mins from 6am to 9am), first runner starts, rest jump in bus and go to end of leg one, handover to leg 2 runner and repeat.......

Time cut-off at the end of leg 15 to avoid teams finishing too late. Only real issue is mini-bus congestion at a couple of the smaller Downland car parks through the middle of the day as the faster teams catch the rest and the field bunches up. Finish at a sports ground/field where there is a bar, burgers and showers. Job's a good'un. Genuinely one of my all-time favourite events. The day just flies by.

http://www.southdownsrelay.co.uk

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I ran 50:00 dead, which is remarkably really. It's exactly what I wanted to do, I held it together well and felt like I'd done some racing as between 5-8k I allowed myself to crush everyone in my path before settling back into a slower pace and smashing out a sprint at the end. Good event, I enjoyed the course change for this year and have to say Worthing 10k is probably my favourite 10k race. Next year I'll be targeting the win! :thumbsup:

Tomorrow I'm going to be firing off 6x1km reps, 90 seconds recovery. Bring the pain!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I ran 50:00 dead, which is remarkably really. It's exactly what I wanted to do, I held it together well and felt like I'd done some racing as between 5-8k I allowed myself to crush everyone in my path before settling back into a slower pace and smashing out a sprint at the end. Good event, I enjoyed the course change for this year and have to say Worthing 10k is probably my favourite 10k race. Next year I'll be targeting the win! :thumbsup:

Tomorrow I'm going to be firing off 6x1km reps, 90 seconds recovery. Bring the pain!

When's your big day at Preston Park? 2 weeks isn't it, I'll come and limp along to see what happens. I like the build up. Just hope you get out of bed on the day. Good discipline today and you finished 2 places behind [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION]. Another scalp for him on a momentous day.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
When's your big day at Preston Park? 2 weeks isn't it, I'll come and limp along to see what happens. I like the build up. Just hope you get out of bed on the day. Good discipline today and you finished 2 places behind [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION]. Another scalp for him on a momentous day.

I had to miss a week of training this week with a foot injury, but I'm sticking to the 17th June. Preston Park is absolutely the plan but Hove Park is the default if required!

Happy to be beaten by all today, you used the key word there - discipline. It's not easy when everyone is passing you. Like the parkrun on saturday, it was tough not to kick in and chase down the leaders at that first turn, knowing they were running a pace I could match if not beat. But there's a bigger picture!
[MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] is the target!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I had to miss a week of training this week with a foot injury, but I'm sticking to the 17th June. Preston Park is absolutely the plan but Hove Park is the default if required!

Happy to be beaten by all today, you used the key word there - discipline. It's not easy when everyone is passing you. Like the parkrun on saturday, it was tough not to kick in and chase down the leaders at that first turn, knowing they were running a pace I could match if not beat. But there's a bigger picture!
[MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] is the target!

I would have loved a head to head on the 17th. A sure fire way to run a great time. Even today me and a random exchanged front running a few times over the last mile, I think it was a dead heat on the line we posted the same gun and chip time I think. If it wasn't for him I may well have coasted a little more to line and missed out on sub 39:30.

The bad news is I've been offered a free ticket for Guns & Roses at the Olympic Stadium on the Friday night (16th) so if I go to that, there is no way I could race. In fact I've got some serious drinking activity lined up over the coming week. First Kraftwerk at the Centre followed by Radiohead in Stockholm. I'll have to plan very carefully to get the miles in and try and stay hydrated.

If I don't run I'll be interested in how you get on at PP. Have you got a time in mind?

I did see a recent Hove Park Park Run time of a few seconds above 19 minutes for yourself which is impressive for that course.

I'm feeling pretty confident in my running and for the first time in ages and feel I could set PB's at all distances except for the 5k. Whether it's psychological because of my hamstrings and I'm holding back slightly, but I'm not going full throttle for some reason.

Either way I'll be focussing on the Phoenix now for a sub 39 or close hopefully, but I will take in some Preston Park Park Runs in the build up too, if you can make one.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I would have loved a head to head on the 17th. A sure fire way to run a great time. Even today me and a random exchanged front running a few times over the last mile, I think it was a dead heat on the line we posted the same gun and chip time I think. If it wasn't for him I may well have coasted a little more to line and missed out on sub 39:30.

The bad news is I've been offered a free ticket for Guns & Roses at the Olympic Stadium on the Friday night (16th) so if I go to that, there is no way I could race. In fact I've got some serious drinking activity lined up over the coming week. First Kraftwerk at the Centre followed by Radiohead in Stockholm. I'll have to plan very carefully to get the miles in and try and stay hydrated.

If I don't run I'll be interested in how you get on at PP. Have you got a time in mind?

I did see a recent Hove Park Park Run time of a few seconds above 19 minutes for yourself which is impressive for that course.

I'm feeling pretty confident in my running and for the first time in ages and feel I could set PB's at all distances except for the 5k. Whether it's psychological because of my hamstrings and I'm holding back slightly, but I'm not going full throttle for some reason.

Either way I'll be focussing on the Phoenix now for a sub 39 or close hopefully, but I will take in some Preston Park Park Runs in the build up too, if you can make one.

I was thinking more longer term than just the 17th, I'm coming for you, I'm coming for youuuuu :thumbsup:

19:01 stands as my benchmark. On the 17th I'd like 18:29 or below but I'll be happy with 18:something before the second 6 weeks kicks in which my mate tells me will be harder. The guy who is devising these plans won the 13th Hove Park parkrun in 16:02 so he's got my attention!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I was thinking more longer term than just the 17th, I'm coming for you, I'm coming for youuuuu :thumbsup:

19:01 stands as my benchmark. On the 17th I'd like 18:29 or below but I'll be happy with 18:something before the second 6 weeks kicks in which my mate tells me will be harder. The guy who is devising these plans won the 13th Hove Park parkrun in 16:02 so he's got my attention!

Sounds like you are already ahead of me! A sub 19 Preston Park is probably the limit of my 5k ability at present. Would love to give the Prom another go on a calm day just to compare and contrast to my best times from 2016.

I'm also keen to give Bevendean and Peacehaven ago too, but getting to Under 3's Football club in Patcham for 9:55 is too tight a squeeze for anywhere other than Preston Park.

Sounds like your training is going well and you are staying to the plan. I read a book on holiday around training schedules and I'm going to try and incorporate hill sprints into my easy Tuesday run up Withdean Park from next week.

I'd love to run more, but I find it hard to juggle family and work commitments so I'm left with 2/3 runs a week unless I have holiday and my highest annual distance covered is 800 miles which I need to improve to get better.

Good luck for your 18:29 effort on the 17th, if I'm around I'll be there and try to keep up if possible.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Well done to all Worthing 10k runners today.. some good times.

First run for me tomorrow with an easy week of recovery runs and cycling to get some cardio back. Then focus in the next few weeks on some speed focused sessions etc.. Hopefully get some of these sessions at the track with the target of a mid to low 38 at Phoenix.. that's good for now.bosh.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
This is the 2017 NSC short distance challenge, big nuts, ninja and all comers? Ignore PBs and have a 5k or 10k race off. Hopefully [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] can make it. Sort it out. The Phoenix 10k looks a good date. The 5k date needs to be decided by the ninj and the nuts.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well done to all Worthing 10k runners today.. some good times.

First run for me tomorrow with an easy week of recovery runs and cycling to get some cardio back. Then focus in the next few weeks on some speed focused sessions etc.. Hopefully get some of these sessions at the track with the target of a mid to low 38 at Phoenix.. that's good for now.bosh.

You posted just before me. Brilliant the Ninja, big nuts, pimpernel 10k is on?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
You posted just before me. Brilliant the Ninja, big nuts, pimpernel 10k is on?

Sounds great! A tough challenge but gives me something to aim towards and targets to push me on come race night. As always the post run drinks is the highlight for me.

The Brunswick Beer Garden if the weather is decent seems like a good shout again.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sounds great! A tough challenge but gives me something to aim towards and targets to push me on come race night. As always the post run drinks is the highlight for me.

The Brunswick Beer Garden if the weather is decent seems like a good shout again.

Can us mid-packers turn up a bit later to a table full of beers ?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Sounds good - might see you Wednesday for Kraftwerk too.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Can us mid-packers turn up a bit later to a table full of beers ?

We had a very good turn out last year in the beer garden, also the year before maybe five or six of us were in in the Better Half pub afterwards.

Sounds like most if not all the regulars are in for this one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here