Page 1553 of 1561 FirstFirst ... 55310531453150315431550155115521553155415551556 ... LastLast
Results 15,521 to 15,530 of 15603

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by nwgull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It’s a load of bollocks, isn’t it? Current difference in world record is approx +13% for women, so the GFA times should correspond to that. In this case the equivalent women’s time would be 3:40, which is a completely different class to 4 hrs.
    It is. It's about a minute a mile out. Guess it must be due in part to relative numbers of runners applying too (although looking at events these days, female participation is definitely increasing)
    "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Chrissy Hughton Fanboy Guinness Boy's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post
      It is. It's about a minute a mile out. Guess it must be due in part to relative numbers of runners applying too (although looking at events these days, female participation is definitely increasing)
      Looking at Bright10's results (I just checked again though I was struck by this when I first went on the results site) there were 1208 runners of whom 631 (52%) were male. However I was 380th overall but 300th in my gender - in other words only 80 women finished in front of me. This was in a field of decent club runners with fewer "fun" type runners there than the first year it was run. My time extrapolates out to a 3:47 marathon on the Macmillan calculator (I will literally fall over if I get this however ) but that gives me a 13 min "window" for sub 4. Realistically my Brighton aim is still 3.59.00 and I reckon Bright10 has me exactly on course.

I'm not sure how typical this race is but the expected % of women hitting this GFA based on Bright10 would be pretty low.

Still sucks though.
      Brighton But Only At Home

It's a blog. About home games. And some other stuff.
      Members

3 Not allowed!
      On the positive side, it does always leave the option of having a sex change in order to achieve a GFA time. And let’s face it for most of us this is more feasible than achieving the men’s GFA targets.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Elephant View Post
      I think I'm unlikely to get in, again. Too many people I know are in already! Without wanting to kick the hornets nest, is now a good time to mention the good for age disparity? 3:31 qualified a friend of mine for Boston next year, how is that reasonable? Is that good for a 27 year old female? I'm not having a go, I've only beaten that once and this is a girl who has a 3:13 in her history which is belting - but 3:31? Is that enough to qualify for Boston when a male has to run sub-3?
      I have mixed feelings on this. A friend of mine did a 3:31 to get into Boston and she trained her arse off to achieve that. She had to come through a couple of injuries which hit her just before previous marathons, so it's been a long, hard slog to get her BQ. She still can't believe she's actually done it, as a runner it has been her only goal for over 2 years.

On the other hand, I have a friend who thinks the gap is way too big. She did a 3:15 to get into Boston and doesn't feel like she had to work any harder than I did to get my 3:06 (and miss out).

I guess the problem is there are more fast male marathon runners than fast female marathon runners, and they're trying to have a balanced field. I'm not too disappointed I missed out myself because my goal for my marathon was to get a fast time and I wasn't expecting to get a BQ. Now I'm training to try and get a BQ and ideally get a sub 3 time (my BQ is 3:05 now). I'll be gutted if I miss out this time, then I might have a different view on the difference between the times for men and women!
      Abso-bloody-exactly
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Thought I'd have a little look into this. The main problem is that Boston MA won't say what their objective is with the new qualifying times, if they have one at all. This has led to years of male dissent.

The following study from 2015 suggests male and female age grade percentages could be used for qualification as they have already been worked out based on male and female relative abilities linked to age and finish time at a competitive level.

Based on that I'm out. Based on previous rules I'm out. Based on a sex change for both I'm out.

https://content.iospress.com/article...lytics/jsa0003
      Chrissy Hughton Fanboy Guinness Boy's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by knocky1 View Post
      Thought I'd have a little look into this. The main problem is that Boston MA won't say what their objective is with the new qualifying times, if they have one at all. This has led to years of male dissent.

The following study from 2015 suggests male and female age grade percentages could be used for qualification as they have already been worked out based on male and female relative abilities linked to age and finish time at a competitive level.

Based on that I'm out. Based on previous rules I'm out. Based on a sex change for both I'm out.

https://content.iospress.com/article...lytics/jsa0003
      I got as far as "59 second grace period" and started crying. Does this mean I could technically claim up to 2013 that I'd done sub four if you used Boston qualifying methods instead of actual times?
      Last edited by Guinness Boy; 12-10-2018 at 19:01.
      Brighton But Only At Home

It's a blog. About home games. And some other stuff.

1 Not allowed!
      Just entered The Albion Half Marathon.
      I'm guessing at 31 laps of The Amex!
      In this great future you can't forget your past

0 Not allowed!
      Anyone planning on doing the Toon parkrun next weekend ?
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"
      Head in the clouds Ninja Elephant's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post
      Anyone planning on doing the Toon parkrun next weekend ?
      I've done it once before, I was 30th in 19:17! I wasn't hanging around but those boys are quick. I was talking to the Director afterwards and he didn't believe how many we had in Brighton and Hove, plus the surrounding area. He was surprised by the attendances at each of them but we're just that sort of city!

It's a strange course, loads of turns and changes of surface but not much elevation and very well marshalled.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Elephant View Post
      I've done it once before, I was 30th in 19:17! I wasn't hanging around but those boys are quick. I was talking to the Director afterwards and he didn't believe how many we had in Brighton and Hove, plus the surrounding area. He was surprised by the attendances at each of them but we're just that sort of city!

It's a strange course, loads of turns and changes of surface but not much elevation and very well marshalled.
      Thanks, might give it a go