Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Great running. I'm seriously thinking of giving that a go next year if Brighton goes to plan. Lovely photo too.
Cheers mate - you definitely should. Above all else, it's a cracking day out (there's a cut-off of nine hours!) with plenty of food along the way.

And, as tough as the last seven miles are, there are cracking views and a real sense of achievement once you come running/rolling/tumbling down the hill to the finish line.

Even after a bit of a shocker yesterday, it's still my favourite marathon [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Albion marathon done........really enjoyed it, not as boring as expected, the lap format worked pretty well. The slopes on the East side started to feel like real hills after about 15 miles though [emoji23]

Pretty happy with just over 4 hours after a fairly disjointed period of training. Good to see a lot running in Albion shirts too

https://strava.app.link/LXUpfNZTnR

eeaec05c5e312c95cb04578dd52746d4.jpg
Nicely done, mate. Hope everyone enjoyed themselves.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Albion marathon done........really enjoyed it, not as boring as expected, the lap format worked pretty well. The slopes on the East side started to feel like real hills after about 15 miles though [emoji23]

Pretty happy with just over 4 hours after a fairly disjointed period of training. Good to see a lot running in Albion shirts too

https://strava.app.link/LXUpfNZTnR

eeaec05c5e312c95cb04578dd52746d4.jpg

Tremendous. [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] was there too. In awe of both of you. Literally would have bored me to a stand still.

Cheers mate - you definitely should. Above all else, it's a cracking day out (there's a cut-off of nine hours!) with plenty of food along the way.

And, as tough as the last seven miles are, there are cracking views and a real sense of achievement once you come running/rolling/tumbling down the hill to the finish line.

Even after a bit of a shocker yesterday, it's still my favourite marathon [emoji106]

On the other hand I can feel the old race trigger finger reaching for the sign up for this already!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
As mentioned I did the Albion marathon as well yesterday. I actually quite enjoyed it, but have picked up a really sore left foot so hobbling around today! It was a mental challange as well as a physical one, but I found the other runners very friendly and supportive, I was amazed at the number that had done Beachyhead the day before. The tough part was when they confirm 41 laps done , YIPPEEEE, then your mind goes yes but still 20 more to do! I had many arguements with myself and I kept looking at the stadium and the banners outside the West Stand to drive me on! I ran over the seagull on the floor outside the West Stand and by the end was deliberatly standing on the bloody seagulls beak cursing him!!!

My Garmin recorded 27.3 miles, but I know it struggles when you are doing tight laps, corners etc, so not sure how far it really was. I finished in 4.37 and I have to say that the "hill" up the back of the ESL got gradullay steeper and longer!!

Anyway 5 marathons done this year, now for some time off. I did Brighton, London, Edinburgh, Loch Ness and the Amex Stadium. Loch Ness definitely my favourite, stunning location and a great course. As said before next year I want to do some trail running.
AMEX.jpg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As mentioned I did the Albion marathon as well yesterday. I actually quite enjoyed it, but have picked up a really sore left foot so hobbling around today! It was a mental challange as well as a physical one, but I found the other runners very friendly and supportive, I was amazed at the number that had done Beachyhead the day before. The tough part was when they confirm 41 laps done , YIPPEEEE, then your mind goes yes but still 20 more to do! I had many arguements with myself and I kept looking at the stadium and the banners outside the West Stand to drive me on! I ran over the seagull on the floor outside the West Stand and by the end was deliberatly standing on the bloody seagulls beak cursing him!!!

My Garmin recorded 27.3 miles, but I know it struggles when you are doing tight laps, corners etc, so not sure how far it really was. I finished in 4.37 and I have to say that the "hill" up the back of the ESL got gradullay steeper and longer!!

Anyway 5 marathons done this year, now for some time off. I did Brighton, London, Edinburgh, Loch Ness and the Amex Stadium. Loch Ness definitely my favourite, stunning location and a great course. As said before next year I want to do some trail running.
View attachment 101710

Nice work - sorry didn't know you were there would have said hello (possibly did anyway !). Must have passed each other a few times.......

Agree re the hill........after about 15 miles my strategy was walking the ones in the NE corner and the SE corner (and running the flat bit past the aid station) then pegging it all down the West side which meant my mins per mile held up pretty well right to the end. The difference in temperatures was bizarre too - warm at the top of the South, bloody freezing into the wind (and in the shade) at the North end. Cold rain towards the end too. Good fun though, all very sociable - Dan Lawson's pace was incredible....seemed to be lapping me nearly every lap.

My watch posted 27.4m, but that will be down to slightly off GPS readings - they don't like going round in circles much. The course was properly measured.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Amazing efforts everyone at Beachy and the Amex. Congratulations to all of you.

Really fancy Beachy next year - need to check it’s not half term again. I think Three Forts beckons next April for my first trail marathon.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Amazing efforts everyone at Beachy and the Amex. Congratulations to all of you.

Really fancy Beachy next year - need to check it’s not half term again. I think Three Forts beckons next April for my first trail marathon.

It's Saturday 26th next year - early bird entries already open :D

https://www.active.com/eastbourne-e...V7yBh-mSSjMWDqS-kJ9liWa3PhwKRODQ-xAijrY5_TkbE

Three Forts is in May (Sunday 5th) - usually the Sunday of May Day Bank Holiday weekend

Both great events. Could also consider the Steyning Stinger as well - pretty similar to Three Forts, but a bit more relaxed overall (including flexible start times) and a free full English brekkie at the finish. Usually first weekend in March.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
There are a few new ones (to me) on my list for next year – Three Forts, STE River Arun and STE Amex (if they do it again) being just three. I think the first two are quite close to each other though, which might be a bit of a pain (literally!). And I'm not sure I could do the Beachy/Amex double – my legs are still a bit knackered today after just one!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Top effort everyone :clap2:

That Albion Marathon just looked horrible. I've had enough after doing 5 laps of a flat track, I can't imagine the psychological trauma of having to do 62 laps involving a hill.

I managed to get out of the city for a 5k trail run yesterday. It was great to get away from all the traffic and people. I wasn't expecting the snow on the ground though!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ripping out the bathroom yesterday with a Wednesday deadline for the plasterer left me unable to get to the 12x500m track session. Best i’ve felt on a Tuesday morning for 6 weeks despite being full of dust and dirt.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I hear Mince Pie 10 has sold out - there is a waiting list in operation. Helped make my mind up to run the Downland Devil 9 instead. £12 entry and a great breakfast afterwards- anyone else in?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I hear Mince Pie 10 has sold out - there is a waiting list in operation. Helped make my mind up to run the Downland Devil 9 instead. £12 entry and a great breakfast afterwards- anyone else in?

Probably not – I'm looking at Mouth 2 Mouth marathon and that will probably be it for the year. Good to see STE has finalised the AW20 (Adur and Worthing) for my birthday next year (31st March). Sounds perfect for London/Brighton marathon training, if anyone else is up for it...

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Several months of largely avoiding this thread due to feeling jealous at everybody else running and competing in races is almost over.

I’m starting to feel like a runner again. Obviously my times and distances are only just starting to come back from rock bottom, but my body feels strong and only a few minor aches remain from the plantar fasciitis. I’ve been back at parkrun for the last three Saturdays. The first was a gentle 31:14, the second a training pace run in 24:14 and on Saturday I stepped it up a bit to 22:49. I reckon I would be about 21:30 right now if I went for it, which isn’t too bad considering how long I’ve been out. And that will come down quickly as I rebuild my cardio.

This week’s aim is to do two midweek runs for the first time in a long time and then sub 22:30 on Saturday.

By the way, if anyone has/gets plantar fasciitis, my top tip is to ignore your feet and focus on your calves. Since I started vigorously stretching my calves two or three times a day and doing everything I could to look after them my feet have improved massively.

Thanks for the tip. Have had this continuously since April and have probably made it worse by continuing running rather than rest as when I did try having 4 weeks off the pain was worse than ever. Think I'm on the mend now due to a combination of continuous wearing of a compression sock and an arch support insole in all of my shoes including running shoes. Suspect I have pretty flat feet but both things have helped significantly. Only bugger now is that after a 10k last Sunday, the moment I stopped my left knee seized up badly and I was left in agony for a couple of days with what I suspect is iliotibial band syndrome as the position and symptoms of the pain are spot on. Plantar Fasciitis is in the left foot too therefore I suspect the two are linked somehow but having only taken up running 6 months ago the injuries have been very frustrating

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Frustrating week for me too.
Only running all week was to public toilets as our bathroom was out all week and the week has ended with man flu stopping me getting to Parkrun.
Only 2 Parkruns left for me till Christmas.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Did my first park run ever today and loved it as I've only ever done 10k's before. Understand now why people hate 10k compared to 5k as I had no frame of reference having thrown myself in at the deep end with a 10k run 6 weeks after starting running this spring!

Results not out yet however I was jogging along with my sister in law who has only been running a month or so after quitting smoking. Her PB before was around 34 minutes on a treadmill (my unofficial 5k time running the streets is around 26 minutes) but I managed to gently pull her round in around 31:30 (I didn't tell her the pace we were going until approx the final 1k) which left her bouncing all the way home. Am going back next week on my own with a target of sub 28 to start me off to avoid further aggravating the knee which felt ok today at a slower pace.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Did my first park run ever today and loved it as I've only ever done 10k's before. Understand now why people hate 10k compared to 5k as I had no frame of reference having thrown myself in at the deep end with a 10k run 6 weeks after starting running this spring!

Results not out yet however I was jogging along with my sister in law who has only been running a month or so after quitting smoking. Her PB before was around 34 minutes on a treadmill (my unofficial 5k time running the streets is around 26 minutes) but I managed to gently pull her round in around 31:30 (I didn't tell her the pace we were going until approx the final 1k) which left her bouncing all the way home. Am going back next week on my own with a target of sub 28 to start me off to avoid further aggravating the knee which felt ok today at a slower pace.

Great stuff.......it’s odd but there’s no way I can match my outdoor 5k time on a treadmill. You’d think it’d be easier but it isn’t........

I hate 5k and 10k [emoji23][emoji23]

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Great stuff.......it’s odd but there’s no way I can match my outdoor 5k time on a treadmill. You’d think it’d be easier but it isn’t........

I hate 5k and 10k [emoji23][emoji23]

You may have the wrong hobby?! ��

Very true about matching PB's on a treadmill. Think it's all mental though as it should be easier surely?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You may have the wrong hobby?! ��

Very true about matching PB's on a treadmill. Think it's all mental though as it should be easier surely?

Trust me he doesn't. The only thing I hate more than a flat out 5k is a flat out 10k. Give me 10 miles or a half marathon any day of the week.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Trust me he doesn't. The only thing I hate more than a flat out 5k is a flat out 10k. Give me 10 miles or a half marathon any day of the week.

Don't worry I was only joking :)

As the plodder propping up the foot of the table (that I am only really on as a nice gesture as I am not in the same league as you guys) I am in awe of you all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here