Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'll wear what I want and ignore the fashion police. :lol:They keep my extremities warm and are useful for mopping up sweat and snot. The T shirt allows ventilation of the overheating upper body.

Good to see you yesterday and you seem to be in the right head space to wait out the loss of form. Shame we couldn't beat the visiting Scouser who went sub 19.......

I'll not be troubling the scorers for 5 weeks now as I up the mileage. 9 miles now at super plod speed of 10" mile pace.

I did an 11 mile super plod today to go with 7 miles yesterday, 5 at target marathon pace. I've not done a hard Saturday session followed by a Sunday long run in previous race preparations, I've almost always taken Saturday off. I'm hoping it's going to pay off this time and, while not the split sessions beloved of [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] I think getting 18 miles in a weekend in this early is going to pay off in terms of being able to run on tired legs. 13 weeks my friend. I'm back in the game and aiming for sub-4.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I did an 11 mile super plod today to go with 7 miles yesterday, 5 at target marathon pace. I've not done a hard Saturday session followed by a Sunday long run in previous race preparations, I've almost always taken Saturday off. I'm hoping it's going to pay off this time and, while not the split sessions beloved of [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] I think getting 18 miles in a weekend in this early is going to pay off in terms of being able to run on tired legs. 13 weeks my friend. I'm back in the game and aiming for sub-4.

Glad you're back in the game. I've just done 24 miles in 4 days and that has been tiring on the legs. Have decided to cancel my return to Monday Withdean track intervals tomorrow just to play safe.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
As I'm still carrying a sack of potatoes in my gut, I'm going to work on fat burning over the next 4 week cycle and I'm essentially going to have 9 weeks to do the requisite running to get my legs pumped and ready for a marathon effort. This is a total turnaround from the last few years, I want to deliver myself on the day in the condition to put in maximum effort. I'll be checking the table of marathon times before the day to topple some times.

Sajerz

Feb 6, 2008
Leamington
I have a place for the Brighton Half on the 24th Feb if anybody wants it?

Lack of training has led to me dropping out, downside is you'll have to run under my name.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Starting to feel a bit gutted I haven’t entered BM this year......

I sort of know what you mean, but it's not a race I'm in love with, so feel OK giving it a miss for a year at least.

Just trying to get back in the groove and had a double run weekend. Bit of holiday weight has gone, but more to do. Moyleman is looming...

SwedishSonna

Aug 9, 2005
Newcastle upon Tyne
Bit of a part-time runner, but trying to get out as often as I can. Making a big push for it this year. I find I get more motivation to go out on my lunch break at work than I do when I'm at home. I don't have any specific target or achievement in mind other than losing my gut.

Anyway - according to Strava (syncs from my Suunto watch) I managed 5k in 24:16 today. A PB since records began. One is chuffed with that.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Back on board ship now, so using the opportunity to up the running. One of the nice things about my job is getting off in all the different ports for a run; it's a great way to see the places if you don't have so long off work.
Looking forward to a 10k in Casablanca tomorrow lunch time.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Back on board ship now, so using the opportunity to up the running. One of the nice things about my job is getting off in all the different ports for a run; it's a great way to see the places if you don't have so long off work.
Looking forward to a 10k in Casablanca tomorrow lunch time.

Here’s looking at you, kid!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Been back in Sussex for the last few days for a bit of warm weather training :lolol: A steady 20k on Sunday morning and a 13k this morning.

Just about to catch a flight back to Toronto. This Sunday is supposed to be my longest training run before tapering starts. The current forecast is -17C (feels like -29C) with "blowing snow". I think I might change the day!

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
We've got 8" of snow coming Saturday and brutal cold for Sunday. Best get your run in on the plane.

After starting this running thing up last July I finally managed 10K today. Slow as molasses, but I did it. Thanks to all who recommended Haruki Marakami's running book to me, it's helping me to not focus on the time and to just focus on the bigger picture.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
4 * 5 minute tempo intervals along Lytham seafront to St Anne's this evening, the first in to a breeze that was stiffer than a pimp's whatsit. Nearly died. But didn't actually. #BreathingOutOfMyArcher .

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
We've got 8" of snow coming Saturday and brutal cold for Sunday. Best get your run in on the plane.

After starting this running thing up last July I finally managed 10K today. Slow as molasses, but I did it. Thanks to all who recommended Haruki Marakami's running book to me, it's helping me to not focus on the time and to just focus on the bigger picture.

Great book. Ageing and decreasing times.....
Snow sounds fun but horrific for training. In the Spring you can look forward to seeing what he describes running by him on Boston training runs.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Have to admit I thought the cold might be a barrier to me, but last night I was out in -2oC, a dusting of snow on the ground, in shorts and a t-shirt, and I was still far too hot! What am I doing wrong? I keep seeing other runners with gloves, scarfs, woolly hats, trousers etc!

Having some issues with sciatica though, any tips welcome.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Have to admit I thought the cold might be a barrier to me, but last night I was out in -2oC, a dusting of snow on the ground, in shorts and a t-shirt, and I was still far too hot! What am I doing wrong? I keep seeing other runners with gloves, scarfs, woolly hats, trousers etc!

Having some issues with sciatica though, any tips welcome.

I find a woolly hat and/or gloves cause me to overheat.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
4ACFD22D-F73B-446F-8DCF-11ECA4C000A9.jpeg did a loop of the Amex last night on random 5k! Notice the incline more.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here