Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Evening all, I am very disappointed today, I broke my Half Marathon record which was part of my plan but then I died a death at mile 20. I had to take a quick pee break during mile 18 but other than that all my splits are consistent, but then my shin died and my calf started dying as well. I had to walk a few times, and really needed the showers in Shoreham! I'm frustrated because I felt like I'd make a 3:15 relatively comfortably and then LITERALLY on mile 20, the guy came past me and I had nothing left. I had to re-focus and calm myself down, and then crack back on. Seeing Fatboy Slim at mile 23 was important, that helped me keep going.

I ran a 3:29:12 which is a PB by 8 minutes so I should be happy and overall I am, but even so, I felt I ran a bad race. And my phone didn't track the run properly either! Happily I had my watch as a backup.

Well done fella..8 min pd with more left for next time..Sometimes its not how you get it done..its just about getting it done... Good work.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Evening all, I am very disappointed today, I broke my Half Marathon record which was part of my plan but then I died a death at mile 20. I had to take a quick pee break during mile 18 but other than that all my splits are consistent, but then my shin died and my calf started dying as well. I had to walk a few times, and really needed the showers in Shoreham! I'm frustrated because I felt like I'd make a 3:15 relatively comfortably and then LITERALLY on mile 20, the guy came past me and I had nothing left. I had to re-focus and calm myself down, and then crack back on. Seeing Fatboy Slim at mile 23 was important, that helped me keep going.

I ran a 3:29:12 which is a PB by 8 minutes so I should be happy and overall I am, but even so, I felt I ran a bad race. And my phone didn't track the run properly either! Happily I had my watch as a backup.

Brilliant effort - equivalent to a 67 at the Masters on a very blustery day with the rest of the field over par. 8 min pb- be proud!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Me and my lad got round in 3:51 both in our Albion tops
Loads of encouragement from the crowd and The Albion fans along the way
Shook CH's hand at the start and thanked him for what he has done for us, saw Muzza at about mile 17ish by the church and got a cheer from Norman Cook at 23 miles and finished arm on arm with my lad at the end which was a bit emotional to be honest for me
No more for me now and announcing my retirement at the age of 59
Just a few halfs now and again
Heat was a bitch

Well done - think I saw you a couple of times and gave you a cheer and wave of the flag!

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

I helped co-ordinate a team today and loads of people said this kind of thing. Think the conditions were difficult for tightness and speed. A couple of really good runners got injured and had to pull out.

I know it's about as much use as a postbox on the moon, given that only your expectations of yourself really count, but that is an outstanding time. Lots of people ran a bad race compared to what they expected today.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Suffering this morning. Mixing beer and prosecco is never a clever idea, applied sunscreen far too late in the day and probably should have laid off the sausages at the third BBQ. :lolol:

Seriously, I think watching it having run it gives you a whole new perspective. I got to the band area on Boundary Rd just in time to see the lead runner with my kids and our friend's children who'd been sleeping over. Was able to explain a bit about what was going on to them and managed to talk them in to not offering the elite runners jelly babies :)

Managed to see nearly everyone I wanted to. Both REMF runners - Rob and Jamie. I don't think either post on here but they were both amazing, rob coming in around 3.47 and Jamie finishing his first ever marathon as part of a get fit campaign. [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] and [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] looked strong no matter what they were feeling. [MENTION=13251]Lord Bamber[/MENTION] was pacing and just missed him as had to get littlest back for a wee! Everyone who had any sort of Albion regalia on was given a large Seeeeeaaagulls!

It was oppressively hot just watching. I've no idea how people ran round to be honest. My friend Chris who lives on the same road as me is a very experienced marathon runner and pulled out at mile 16. Once Jamie had passed we went to visit the Queen and Prince Philip on Seaford Rd and then to another party where I saw everyone's expected times getting longer and longer on the app.

I really missed it. The whole day felt weird so I'm in for 2018 as soon as the deferral email arrives.

Not sure if this has been covered before but how come no foreign elites this year? For me it devalues it, making it more like Phoenix than London VLM. A high quality lead field is one of Brighton's selling points as far as I'm concerned.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Suffering this morning. Mixing beer and prosecco is never a clever idea, applied sunscreen far too late in the day and probably should have laid off the sausages at the third BBQ. :lolol:

Seriously, I think watching it having run it gives you a whole new perspective. I got to the band area on Boundary Rd just in time to see the lead runner with my kids and our friend's children who'd been sleeping over. Was able to explain a bit about what was going on to them and managed to talk them in to not offering the elite runners jelly babies :)

Managed to see nearly everyone I wanted to. Both REMF runners - Rob and Jamie. I don't think either post on here but they were both amazing, rob coming in around 3.47 and Jamie finishing his first ever marathon as part of a get fit campaign. [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] and [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] looked strong no matter what they were feeling. [MENTION=13251]Lord Bamber[/MENTION] was pacing and just missed him as had to get littlest back for a wee! Everyone who had any sort of Albion regalia on was given a large Seeeeeaaagulls!

It was oppressively hot just watching. I've no idea how people ran round to be honest. My friend Chris who lives on the same road as me is a very experienced marathon runner and pulled out at mile 16. Once Jamie had passed we went to visit the Queen and Prince Philip on Seaford Rd and then to another party where I saw everyone's expected times getting longer and longer on the app.

I really missed it. The whole day felt weird so I'm in for 2018 as soon as the deferral email arrives.

Not sure if this has been covered before but how come no foreign elites this year? For me it devalues it, making it more like Phoenix than London VLM. A high quality lead field is one of Brighton's selling points as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah surprised me as well. Suspect the organisers decided they didn't need to spend the cash - it's a commercial operation at the end of the day, they know they will sell it out regardless so lobbing several thousand to runners and pacers not necessary. I agree with you though - love watching the real elites and the whole event has a much lower standing if the winning times are a long way off elite pace (although on the other side of that, a pal of mine was the first lady winner of the event)

Never seen the crowds as big as they were yesterday. It was absolutely mobbed around the finish, but the crowds kept moving surprisingly well - everything seemed pretty well organised.

On the heat, the chap who gives me a bit of coaching help said yesterday didn't go well for virtually anyone he knows (including some of the very fast people)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I got round the 10k in a shade under 54 which was alright in the circumstances. Huge credit to this who got round the marathon, the heat was oppressive enough at 9:15, let along two hours later.

Well done one and all.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
That was brutal. Target was 4.15 and was with the pacer for 14 miles and then the heat started to win the day. Nearly crashed out between 16-18 I hot the worlds biggest wall ( I blame Trump!) , would have stopped if it was not for the amazingly supportive crowd and the nice family that fed me Jelly Babies and orange slices to help me out. Somehow got through the final 8 miles but it was all a blur. Finished in 4.34 so just 6 minutes off a PB, felt no eleation at the end just enourmous relief it was over. Sat on my own on the beach for an hour afterwards to get my head together. The support yesterday was absolutely epic. Spoke to Chris Hughton at the start line, saw loads of mates out watching and am back on a high again today. 6 marathins done and i think that was the toughest. 2 mararthons in 21 days , never again! My split time was 2.07 (pacer was bang on target) & 2.27.

https://www.strava.com/activities/935297173

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Well done everyone, runners and supporters, epic achievements all round. The lack of breeze and air made it as difficult as the heat. I was pacing a friend so it wasn't as tough for me but even running at a pace lower than normal race pace I could feel it. Congrats again everyone.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Really struggled yesterday, felt my knee and calf around 4 miles and by 10 miles I had to walk. The last 16 miles was made up of running a bit and walking a bit, really wanted to give up but the support was amazing, very emotional. Finally finished in a time of 5 hours 6 minutes. The heat was bad, but the injury made it very difficult to keep going. Pleased I finished but disappointed with the time. Might have to come back next year and see what I can do.

Did manage to high five Chris Hughton at the start!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just received my cheap pre-registration distance screw up email from Brighton Half. Going to get in there again at that price. Between that and deferring the full marathon at least I won't have wasted the price of a good meal if my knee goes again.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Just received my cheap pre-registration distance screw up email from Brighton Half. Going to get in there again at that price. Between that and deferring the full marathon at least I won't have wasted the price of a good meal if my knee goes again.

Same - I have signed up for that again. I plan to steward next years Brighton Marathon , but MAY look at Edinburgh or Manchester marathons next April. Anyone done either of them? I have been told Manchester is very flat and that Edinburgh is a really good weekend (like Brighton)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Bit OT but what does everyone think the lager was that the bar was passing off as Brighton Marathon Weekend lager? It tasted quite a lot like Fosters to me.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
How did people feel about the problems with the water stations? I guess these things happen, but can't see how a race that wants to be number 2 to London can mess up so badly on such a hot day.

Otherwise, an challenging and tough race. Was determined to keep my pace as slow as possible. I think the heat got to me around the 14 mile mark, so started a run/walk.

Finished in just over 6 hours, which was faster than last time, which I'm pleased with. Just glad to finish to be honest, as it looked like quite a few didn't.

Missed out on a T Shirt, as all that was left were extra small, so got one to give to my niece.

Crowd support amazing as ever. Was amazed at the amount of Albion flags, shirts on display around the city. Certainly helped being able to shout "Albion" and "Seagulls" as I made my way round.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He MAY have dropped out, walked to the Finish area accidentally triggering a couple of mat timers on the way back?

Hmmmmm, think not........seen a photo of him crossing the finish line with his arms outstretched.......smiling.........and he must have gone through the finish tunnel to get a finish time.......

Shorehamkid

Aug 3, 2011
I've never been one for carb loading. In fact the only marathon where I really stuck to a training plan – including carb loading the week before*– was my first one in London 2003 and I ran 4:36, which is my slowest road marathon time!

Because I run at a silly time in the morning, there's no WAY I'm eating anything resembling breakfast, but I sometimes bend that rule on race day where the KO is 10/11AM. Fueling on the way around is more important, I reckon. Gels, water, that kind of thing (anything you can get your hands on at Beachy!) – especially water on Sunday, if it's going to be like this. I fell apart on a long training run before IOW marathon in similar conditions and at a similar time of day. Had to stop about four times along the seafront before eventually calling it a day at Hove Lagoon.

But I digress, [MENTION=20655]Shorehamkid[/MENTION] – you're first race sounds like me in 2013 at Brighton, when I really struggled by the Power Station, but somehow managed to get in at 3:57. To be honest, I would just keep doing what you're doing, don't introduce anything new and have confidence in the training you've done so far – I'm sure it'll be fine.

The 'wall' is just something I expect to happen to me on every marathon, or at least have to walk some of the way. But by that point, I'm normally nearly home and fairly happy (I'm not including Moyleman here...).

Good luck.

Funnily enough the first marathon I mentioned in my original post was Brighton in 2013, I got home in 3:56 so we must have been suffering almost side by side that day!

Thanks to all who offered carbo load advice, I ballsed up a little as I had the sh*ts bad on Friday and Saturday, I think as a result of the rather drastic and dramatic change in diet. But you live and learn and I got round in 3:53, so I bettered my previous time which I'm chuffed about.

Was talking to a guy in the event village after (had a balloon for his 100th marathon with him), and he was telling me how his running improved with joining a running club, something that has never really occurred to me. I see plenty of you guys talking about park runs and the like, I'm a little wet behind the ears with it all and just wondered what has worked for you guys as I'm not adverse to getting involved in something along those lines going forward. All this less than 24 hours after vowing never to run a marathon again...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here