Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
Well done [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] at the Moyleman.

The marshalls are the real heroes today especially [MENTION=12396]Seaford by the sea[/MENTION] who also marshalled the Mince Pie in terrible conditions if I remember correctly!

Congratulations [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] on your moyleman runs. That was so cold, and exposed up there, had two pairs of gloves on and still couldn't feel my fingers, hope you managed to keep extremities warm. Felt for all passing us to go down the hill at Bo Peep towards the water station knowing my Caburn would soon be looming large. Always feel a bit helpless as a Marshall armed with a phone, a foil blankets and multiple packs of jelly babies, equivalent to the days of a physio running onto the pitch armed with nothing more than the magic sponge.

Think you guys have inspired me to run the Moyleman next year ( but only if it's a bit warmer!)

Anchorman

Oct 19, 2007
Well done to everyone that got out there today in those conditions, but surely pride of place to our two proper 'ard Moylemen Knocky and Greg Bobkin for their MOM performances today.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Moyleman runners - firstly, well done. A tough, tough route in pretty grim conditions.

Do you run through a A27 underpass?
It's here (next to a farm, as I remember):
c13dcb49a84112867b976d3fcee17587.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well done to you and [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION]. Hard enough route in good conditions, great work today and marshalling today must have been a challenge........

Got a feeling they have to get special permission from the farmer to use that bit if I remember correctly so you can’t use it normally.......you turn under a bridge after a longish stretch on a footpath then across a field ?
The race director mentioned that quite a few farmers help out with access to - and through - their land, so that sounds about right.

Thanks for all the positive comments - not sure whether we are brave or bonkers. Well, actually I AM [emoji23][emoji23]

As harsh as the wind was when it really got going, there are some lovely parts of the route. I couldn't tell you where exactly, but one bit in a valley was awesome - quiet, calm, smattering of snow and no-one else near me. The two hills at the end are utter ******** though [emoji35][emoji35]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Moyleman incredible event as said and the 90+ Facebook comments bear that out.
Personally I'm thankful [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] waited for me at Mt Caburn as I struggled throughout the run. I trained specifically for this event. I followed Nov/Dec trekking in the Annapurna with 90% Downland hill training running up 25,000 feet since Christmas often in similar conditions. Never walked once. Yesterday it didn't happen. I walked for miles. 3-4 miles including the slog up from Southease to almost Bo Peep into the head wind.

Positive is I stuck at it, despite considering retiring at half way, with great support from marshalls and fellow runners. At mile 20 I forced down 10 jelly babies and 6 licorice allsorts and picked up remarkably. Plus I'm just ****** and have no injuries.

So bad day at the office that was very enjoyable and looks like I'll have to do it next year to give it some justice.............

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Personally I'm thankful [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] waited for me at Mt Caburn as I struggled throughout the run. I trained specifically for this event. I followed Nov/Dec trekking in the Annapurna with 90% Downland hill training running up 25,000 feet since Christmas often in similar conditions. Never walked once. Yesterday it didn't happen. I walked for miles. 3-4 miles including the slog up from Southease to almost Bo Peep into the head wind.

Positive is I stuck at it, despite considering retiring at half way, with great support from marshalls and fellow runners. At mile 20 I forced down 10 jelly babies and 6 licorice allsorts and picked up remarkably. Plus I'm just ****** and have no injuries.

So bad day at the office that was very enjoyable and looks like I'll have to do it next year to give it some justice.............

Anyone that got out of bed yday morning and started deserves a medal so to finish it is incredible in those conditions, however seems like some unfinished business ....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Total respect for [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] . Doing any sort of run yesterday would have filled me with dread let alone a hill / trail marathon! The good news is, chaps, that Brighton will be a breeze after that.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Total respect for [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] . Doing any sort of run yesterday would have filled me with dread let alone a hill / trail marathon! The good news is, chaps, that Brighton will be a breeze after that.

Totally agree. As the thread's wimp-in-residence/flat track & sunny day bully, I was amazed that anyone actually went out yesterday other than to buy a paper yet alone tackled distances, terrain and weather conditions like those. Respect!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

You sound like ME after last year's event :lol:

Sometimes things just aren't meant to be and moments along the way can really alter your mindset. I had a mate pull out at 16, having got him going again at the half-way point. That meant me trekking on by myself, just when I was thinking 'am I actually going to be able to run anymore of this race?'. Proper mind over matter stuff at some points, but we got around. Next year? Not so sure. If there is a clash with Hastings Half again, I know where I'll be heading...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You sound like ME after last year's event :lol:

Sometimes things just aren't meant to be and moments along the way can really alter your mindset. I had a mate pull out at 16, having got him going again at the half-way point. That meant me trekking on by myself, just when I was thinking 'am I actually going to be able to run anymore of this race?'. Proper mind over matter stuff at some points, but we got around. Next year? Not so sure. If there is a clash with Hastings Half again, I know where I'll be heading...

Hasting's Half and Three Forts Challenge?

Left Back

Jan 22, 2011

There I was feeling smug because for about the third time this year I've managed to make it to a a PR this weekend - freezing my extremities at Worthing .... and then I come on here to find you two bad arses have well and truly knocked me off my pedastal and brought me right back down to earth.

Respect in buckekloads.

punk:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Hats off to [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION], you are both heroes of this weekend as far as I'm concerned, my own 20 miles in the snow yesterday was a breeze by comparison and you've thoroughly put what I am aiming to achieve in perspective.

:bowdown::cheers:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Just realised I've had an absolute nightmare. Having signed and paid for BM2018 at the event village last year think I totally failed to fill in the registration form they sent me which has now expired. Have emailed them but now looking at Blackpool or Newport as alternatives. Blackpool is only £34.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just realised I've had an absolute nightmare. Having signed and paid for BM2018 at the event village last year think I totally failed to fill in the registration form they sent me which has now expired. Have emailed them but now looking at Blackpool or Newport as alternatives. Blackpool is only £34.

You may still be OK. They should have sent this registration confirmation email to you. At the bottom is a link you click on and just electronically sign. You can probably still do it. I'm sure they would have contacted you before kicking you out. The email is from The Grounded Events Company. Is that the one that has expired? You should at least get your money back.

Congratulations! You are now registered for the Brighton Marathon 2018: Event Village Registrations - Exhibition Entries - Early Bird Entry. Please check the event's website for updates.
Refer your friends

Thank you for registering at the Brighton Marathon Weekend Event Village - you are one of the first people entered into Brighton Marathon 2018!

Your entry is secure, however you must still guarantee your place by completing the main registration form.

You will receive an invitation email over the coming days with your personal registration link in order to complete the form. Please check your junk mail if you haven't received the invitation by Friday 21st April.

It is important that you act straight away when you receive this invitation.

Thank you again and see you in 2018!

Click on the link to sign your waiver R-0NZXC7JM
Brighton Marathon Team

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
You may still be OK. They should have sent this registration confirmation email to you. At the bottom is a link you click on and just electronically sign. You can probably still do it. I'm sure they would have contacted you before kicking you out. The email is from The Grounded Events Company. Is that the one that has expired? You should at least get your money back.

Congratulations! You are now registered for the Brighton Marathon 2018: Event Village Registrations - Exhibition Entries - Early Bird Entry. Please check the event's website for updates.
Refer your friends

Thank you for registering at the Brighton Marathon Weekend Event Village - you are one of the first people entered into Brighton Marathon 2018!

I've got this email but when clicking the link it just says 'expired' with no further details given. I've not been refunded so just clinging on to hope that they can just send me a new registration link.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Total respect to [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] - incredible elevation gain on top of the mileage, and in the snowy blizzards. Incredible scenes. :bowdown:

I ran about 20 miles, although my watch packed in at 18 miles. I took on Stamford Avenue, Bear Road, Woodingdean, Carden Avenue and Valley Drive for a total elevation just under 1,900 feet. I ran down Falmer Road about 6pm and clearly nobody else had been down that way as the snow was fresh and undisturbed. It was midway up my shin, I was sinking into it which was pretty cool - but very cold! I was glad I was wearing my running tights.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've got this email but when clicking the link it just says 'expired' with no further details given. I've not been refunded so just clinging on to hope that they can just send me a new registration link.

http://www.brightonmarathonweekend.co.uk/events/brighton-marathon/participant/

On the above there is a link under confirmation email. Log in with email address and password, if you have one, and your registration status should come up. I'm doing the Bewl Triathlon and that is on there as well, so you may be with Active sport from a previous or future event.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Sounds like you guys had some pretty tricky conditions to contend with over the weekend. Top work all round :clap2:

I managed a fairly fast 13k on Saturday morning and a steady 29k on Sunday morning with a bit of pace in the final 5k. Perfect weather for it too, sunny and around 4 degrees. Thankfully I was able to reign it in a bit on the Saturday night drinking. A couple of my friends at the party were also doing a long run on Sunday so we kept each other in check.

72k in my legs last week. I'm pleased with that and I'm feeling good. A lower mileage week now, getting myself ready for the hardest weeks.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here