Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Any tips for a complete novice?

Is there a Strava group?

Welcome. This is like Hotel California. You can check in any time you like but you can never leave. *evil cackle*

Strava group: https://www.strava.com/clubs/northstandchat

Any tips - don't overdo it. If you've got a good level of basic fitness you'll get to a decent standard / length quite early on and the improvements are quite exponential at the start. Don't be tempted to push it too hard too soon - that way plantar fasciitis lurks. Oh - and do parkrun. If you're down for games then there's a lot of us on here that do it and also a lot of the regular away game boozers do it now too - you'll probably see friendly faces.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Welcome. This is like Hotel California. You can check in any time you like but you can never leave. *evil cackle*

Strava group: https://www.strava.com/clubs/northstandchat

Any tips - don't overdo it. If you've got a good level of basic fitness you'll get to a decent standard / length quite early on and the improvements are quite exponential at the start. Don't be tempted to push it too hard too soon - that way plantar fasciitis lurks. Oh - and do parkrun. If you're down for games then there's a lot of us on here that do it and also a lot of the regular away game boozers do it now too - you'll probably see friendly faces.

Thanks, I've joined the club.

Was planning on coming down to a game or two in Feb but we booked a cheeky trip to Tenerife last night. Looking forward to taking my running shoes there instead!

How do you know if you're doing too much?! I've seen on threads elsewhere that some people can't do 5k after months of training but I assume they're quite unfit. I do quite a lot of walking/hiking and cycling, and a bit of swimming, as it is, which must help?

I have had lot of leg/knee problems in the last couple of months which I was seeing a physio about but I'm now fairly convinced these were (at least mostly) due to stress rather than any significant physical problem and the running is great for stress/anxiety.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Was planning on coming down to a game or two in Feb but we booked a cheeky trip to Tenerife last night. Looking forward to taking my running shoes there instead!

How do you know if you're doing too much?! I've seen on threads elsewhere that some people can't do 5k after months of training but I assume they're quite unfit. I do quite a lot of walking/hiking and cycling, and a bit of swimming, as it is, which must help?

I have had lot of leg/knee problems in the last couple of months which I was seeing a physio about but I'm now fairly convinced these were (at least mostly) due to stress rather than any significant physical problem and the running is great for stress/anxiety.

Welcome to the home of experts and novices. I’ll let you decide.
One of the top two threads on NSC (alongside Bellcheesery)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Welcome. If you're in Guisley one of these might be near you. http://www.parkrun.org.uk/leeds/ you then get a time that will be officially accepted for the NSC table. The only other way to get on the table is to enter a registered event.

Knee niggles can be from tight quads and, if the following works, you can add yourself to the list of runners on here who owe me a pint. Lie flat on floor face down, grab ankle and bring heel up to buttock. Slowly stretch to feel the thighs tighten. Stop if any pain.

I cycle and run and just ensure (mainly) that I do not follow a hard run session with a hard bike session or vice versa.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Welcome. If you're in Guisley one of these might be near you. http://www.parkrun.org.uk/leeds/ you then get a time that will be officially accepted for the NSC table. The only other way to get on the table is to enter a registered event.

Knee niggles can be from tight quads and, if the following works, you can add yourself to the list of runners on here who owe me a pint. Lie flat on floor face down, grab ankle and bring heel up to buttock. Slowly stretch to feel the thighs tighten. Stop if any pain.

I cycle and run and just ensure (mainly) that I do not follow a hard run session with a hard bike session or vice versa.

Thanks.

You don't accept Strava for the table? :(

Looks like all park runs are on a Saturday which pretty much rules me out as my wife works Saturdays so I have my daughter all day.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks.

You don't accept Strava for the table? :(

Looks like all park runs are on a Saturday which pretty much rules me out as my wife works Saturdays so I have my daughter all day.

If she's young enough, get her in a buggy. If older, run together. You're Living it up in the Hotel California now.

Good luck with your running and look for some events to enter.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

I'll add my welcome. Yes - running is a great stress-buster until you find yourself on the NSC runners' ladder looking anxiously behind you. All the best.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Still hobbling. Doc thinks mild gout most likely. Too much red meat in the diet and red wine in the glass over Xmas, Never had it before and need a blood test at the end of the month to confirm. However, am hobbling less and planning on restarting the machine next week. I will think of you all when I'm wrapped up warm in bed on Saturday with a nice mug of coffee :lol:

Sorry to read this. Hope it doesn’t take too long to mend. Looking on the positive side red meat and red wine inflicted ailments are more fun and interesting than the usual issues we see on here! :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

If you’re a little bit unsure start with a couch to 5k program. That will get you to 5k. From there you can add a k every week. You might feel very fit and feel you can run further but the initial weeks are as much about your body adapting and adjusting to different stresses... so take it slowly; the couch programs are well tested so you should be fine with them.

Welcome and good luck.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Haven't posted much recently on this thread, but welcome [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] . It is a great source of advice and encouragement, I have gone from running a couple of miles to running marathons (well 2). Lots of injury guidance along the way! Get yourself a decent pair of running shoes and track your miles and times, you will see improvement over time.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Haven't posted much recently on this thread, but welcome [MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION] . It is a great source of advice and encouragement, I have gone from running a couple of miles to running marathons (well 2). Lots of injury guidance along the way! Get yourself a decent pair of running shoes and track your miles and times, you will see improvement over time.

I bought these - I have no idea whether they're good or not!

https://www.sportsdirect.com/adidas-questar-ride-shoe-mens-123151

The reviews seem good - the only issue is that so many people wear running shoes for every day use it can be hard to work out what is really good for running.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hove Park parkrun featured on Food Unwrapped on C4 this evening. A few familiar faces including Simgull jr in the background.

Indeed many familiar faces including Hedgehopper Matt and Alice from my Arena induction, both on the mike.
Wheelies Cafe near Victoria Park in the 'slade, with the Bikers, came across well.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Welcome to the home of experts and novices. I’ll let you decide.
One of the top two threads on NSC (alongside Bellcheesery)

Indeed. I've just checked my post count on the two threads: 163 on this one, 304 on the BC one :lolol: I've barely made double figures on any other thread.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I bought these - I have no idea whether they're good or not!

https://www.sportsdirect.com/adidas-questar-ride-shoe-mens-123151

The reviews seem good - the only issue is that so many people wear running shoes for every day use it can be hard to work out what is really good for running.

It's impossible to say. What's good for one person can be terrible for someone else.

I'd recommend going to a proper running shop and having some gait analysis. They look at your running style (either on a treadmill or just taking a short run on the street) and determine which type of shoes would be best for you. Some people (like me) can wear neutral shoes, others need support. Even then, you'll need to try a few models and see what feels best.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hi guys, I've come over to the dark side! Not looked at this thread before so bear with me.

I've NEVER been a runner. Hated it at school, but have recently realised that this was probably because I never did enough of it to get into it. However, with the weather getting colder, I thought it would be a good idea to do some running to keep my fitness up. It'll never replace cycling but cycling in cold / wet / windy weather is a bitch. And I do like the fact I can just go and do it without having to worry about tyres, punctures, etc.

I bought some decent-ish running shoes last week and have been out a few times in the last couple of weeks, along with some hiking and a 25 mile ride at the weekend. Have already managed a couple of 4ks this week and hoping to go for the 5k this evening, after a rest day yesterday. Really enjoying it and not finding it particularly hard, which surprises me.

I had quite a bit of knee pain in the first 4k and had to walk a bit but the second time there was next to none.

How does the table above work [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]?

Is there a Strava group?

Anyone on here do a lot of running AND cycling?

Welcome.....

For what it’s worth, I hated running at school too, only started in my 30s when I was a proper chubster. You’re obviously pretty fit already (more so than most of us I expect) so any transition to running shouldn’t be too bad (as you’re finding). If I was my 35 year old self starting up again, my battle-scarred 52yo actual self would be advising :

-up the distance (both in terms of individual runs and cumulatively) gradually. Max 10% on either at a time as a general rule
-have rest and/or cross training days, they’re vital
-vary your programme. Hill repeats, easy runs, short intervals, long intervals, trail, road etc
-don’t do back to back ‘productive’ sessions (any hard session should be followed by an easy day or rest day)
-go to a decent running shop and try loads of shoes after getting gait analysis (ideally filmed), then go back after say 3 months, with your trainers, and get it checked again
-set a target and train towards it
-join a running club - most are very inclusive and will have all abilities
-don’t be afraid to use a treadmill if it suits, they’re great for interval training (and in warm dry places usually [emoji106])
-do parkrun
-play around with pre, during and post run fuelling and hydration, everyone is different
-don’t try to run through an injury. It’ll almost always get worse and a lot of the running ones we tend to pick up (overuse mostly - see above re volume) are absolute ******** to shift if they become chronic
-get a regular sports massage on the legs
-warn your significant other that you’re embarking on something that will take over your life[emoji23][emoji23]

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Welcome too. - everything dazzer says above plus, and I always say it, get a gym routine going around core and leg strength to prevent injuries - preferably get a Trainer who knows something about running to advise on this. Yoga is always a good thing too - not that I’ve ever done it!
Most importantly - enjoy it!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Welcome too. - everything dazzer says above plus, and I always say it, get a gym routine going around core and leg strength to prevent injuries - preferably get a Trainer who knows something about running to advise on this. Yoga is always a good thing too - not that I’ve ever done it!

And ............... breathe (and relax)!!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I’ve started yoga.......immediately seeing the benefits (and not just being outnumbered by the women in the class [emoji23][emoji23])

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hi guys, I've come over to the dark side! Not looked at this thread before so bear with me.

I've NEVER been a runner. Hated it at school, but have recently realised that this was probably because I never did enough of it to get into it. However, with the weather getting colder, I thought it would be a good idea to do some running to keep my fitness up. It'll never replace cycling but cycling in cold / wet / windy weather is a bitch. And I do like the fact I can just go and do it without having to worry about tyres, punctures, etc.

I bought some decent-ish running shoes last week and have been out a few times in the last couple of weeks, along with some hiking and a 25 mile ride at the weekend. Have already managed a couple of 4ks this week and hoping to go for the 5k this evening, after a rest day yesterday. Really enjoying it and not finding it particularly hard, which surprises me.

I had quite a bit of knee pain in the first 4k and had to walk a bit but the second time there was next to none.

How does the table above work [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]?

Is there a Strava group?

Anyone on here do a lot of running AND cycling?
Not much I can add that hasn't been said already - welcome to the best thread on NSC!

I was doing a lot of cycling overt the summer, but it tailed off after the event I was training for. To the point of me not getting back on my bike since [emoji85]

What I WOULD say - if you haven't discovered it already - is that running off the bike is good training. I hope to get back to it in the new year - or when the weather gets better!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here