Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
When I ran the BM 10k back in April however, I went off much too fast, and did a 22:30 for the first 5k, convinced myself that I was on for a PB, and it all fell apart in the last mile and I ended up, despite the fast (for me) start, blowing it and coming in just over 51 minutes (my worst ever 10k).

That's straight out of my playbook.

Road 10Ks are hideous. I'd rather run a marathon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I've just signed up for this. Swerve parkrun for a week and get it done, [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] :lol:

Good news, I haven't signed up yet but will do soon, so I'll see you there.

I've been running some decent hills lately as I'm surrounded East & West with some whoppers. Ive heard this is a real ******* though, so I'm interested to see how I get on. Also haven't run the distance in a good few months but been up at 10 miles frequently. Friday my aim is to run for 1 hour 30 and get 12 maybe 12.5 miles in.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Thanks, that's very useful as your times seem very similar to mine. So based on what you guys have said, I'm thinking I should run the first 5k at a fraction under 5:00/km pace so I'm at halfway in just under 25 minutes, then aim to do the second half quicker, thus guaranteeing a sub-50 finish which is all I'm after really bearing in mind how rarely I run this distance. Of course, it inevitably won't go as smoothly as that!

Is anyone else doing the Littlehampton 10k? I've heard it's PB territory?

I'm running Littlehampton too. First time so I have no knowledge of the course, although I hear it's flat and good for pb's.

I've always found 10k's the hardest distance to pace but I ran 4 10k races in 3 months culminating with Worthing in June and had a glorious experience of hitting the sweet spot between pace and little fatigue.

Trial and error for you but the last 5k of a 10k can be a dark and lonely place, so the advice to pace conservatively is probably sound.

D

Deleted member 2719

I was football fit 20 years ago but never ran a 5k, i did run a half marathon once without any running training on the hottest day of the year and badly judged the pace and finished around 2 hours.

I am probably 10 lbs heavier than 20 years ago, so a tad heavy than i would like to be.

A DNF is out of the question though as i would have to be dead!

Well 30 minutes for your first one would be a good start. You may have to rely on your football fitness and go into extra time but hopefully there won't be any injury time.
I'd build up to the 5k gradually or you're likely to get an injury. Once you've run one you know what you have to beat.
Update

I have done 5 runs over 5 weeks.

Run 1 - 1200k could only run for a minute before walking.
Run 2 - 1600k managed to run for 4 mins before walking.
Run 3 - 2200k ran for max of 7 mins before walking.
Run 4 - 2800k ran all the way.
Run 5 Today 5300k ran all the way.

Minor side effects from knackered knee, but otherwise all good for an old boy.

:banana:
:rave:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Update

Good work, parkrun for you now then [emoji106]

D

Deleted member 2719

Good work, parkrun for you now then [emoji106]

The ambition was always to run in the same parkrun as my son and daughter, son has done a couple of 5k's but I will need a couple more weeks to get my speed up or I will be eating his dust!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Update

Excellent. You're PR ready, as well.

D

Deleted member 2719

Excellent. You're PR ready, as well.

Cheers, I am not looking to head the NSC leader board, just a run out with my kids and not nobbly myself!

Mind you the competitive streak in me might just change my stance on this!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'm in old dog/new tricks territory as I try to ramp up my mileage for the November (insane) marathon around Preston Park velodrome. I'm coming from a pitiful training base which served me well for 5ks but have realised that a different mind-set is required for a marathon. The trick is to balance the extra miles while holding off injury esp at my age. The big deal for me is the dreaded long run and so far I've only been up to 13 miles. I'm trying to get the weekly miles per week up to 35+ week and might actually manage it this week. I'm staying away from hills (not hard in Worthing!) as they seem to trigger the hamstring prob. I realise that 35 mpw is nothing to some of the NSC long distance sloggers.

I'm still incorporating a parkrun as many schedules seem to recommend a shortish fast run. Saturday is my 100th parkrun (just behind knocky but well short of others) and - sad bugger that I am - I've noticed that a category win would give me a nice 80% win rate across the 100 events and 6 years. So if you know one of the fast old gits from Brighton and ascertain that he is coming over to Worthing to spank the locals could you please let his tyres down?

And one question if I may. At what speed do you run your weekly long run? I've seen different advice ranging from marathon pace + 2 through to 10k pace +2. I'm aiming for a 9 minute mile marathon.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm in old dog/new tricks territory as I try to ramp up my mileage for the November (insane) marathon around Preston Park velodrome. I'm coming from a pitiful training base which served me well for 5ks but have realised that a different mind-set is required for a marathon. The trick is to balance the extra miles while holding off injury esp at my age. The big deal for me is the dreaded long run and so far I've only been up to 13 miles. I'm trying to get the weekly miles per week up to 35+ week and might actually manage it this week. I'm staying away from hills (not hard in Worthing!) as they seem to trigger the hamstring prob. I realise that 35 mpw is nothing to some of the NSC long distance sloggers.

I'm still incorporating a parkrun as many schedules seem to recommend a shortish fast run. Saturday is my 100th parkrun (just behind knocky but well short of others) and - sad bugger that I am - I've noticed that a category win would give me a nice 80% win rate across the 100 events and 6 years. So if you know one of the fast old gits from Brighton and ascertain that he is coming over to Worthing to spank the locals could you please let his tyres down?

And one question if I may. At what speed do you run your weekly long run? I've seen different advice ranging from marathon pace + 2 through to 10k pace +2. I'm aiming for a 9 minute mile marathon.

I'd go for your Parkrun goal this week and then cut the times by 1-2 minutes as you go for velodrome glory.

Your marathon target pace looks to be almost spot on based on a short training programme, 8:50 to 9:00. LSD pace is always open to debate. 9+2 is almost not running. Maybe 9:45 to 10:00 will work with the last couple at 9:00?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Tank Tracks are off the SDW.......but do lead up to it [emoji106]

Yeah, I meant the bit after that – done west and east of it, but not much in the middle (apart from Beeding to Devils Dyke).

Good news, I haven't signed up yet but will do soon, so I'll see you there.

I've been running some decent hills lately as I'm surrounded East & West with some whoppers. Ive heard this is a real ******* though, so I'm interested to see how I get on. Also haven't run the distance in a good few months but been up at 10 miles frequently. Friday my aim is to run for 1 hour 30 and get 12 maybe 12.5 miles in.

You need to get a move on because there aren't many spaces left, apparently. Add anything up to 30 mins to your normal HM time is what I heard – but off-road for me is less about the time and more about the experience. I think I'll be up and down some SDW hill reps on Sunday – not the most exciting, but decent training, I reckon.

Onroad, however, it's become a bit of a mission. Negative splits and a new record on the Adur Ferry Bridge Strava segment this morning. I hit 4.33min/mile at one point and got across in 40 seconds.

Littlehampton CTH 10k is a good one and has PB potential (although I think they've changed the course a bit since last time I ran it). Gutted to miss out but I'm otherwise engaged that day.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Update

Excellent work :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003

Back when I was properly fit and training for BM2016 under a coach my initial target MP was 8.45, known as "steady" and long runs were to be done at "easy" (9.45). As my steady ended up at 8.35 so "easy" became 9.30. Of course, just for "fun" I got the odd fast section thrown in to my 15 and 16 mile runs to keep me on my toes!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
I can feel my mojo returning rapidly. Managed 20 miles last week and managed to crack out 5 miles at a very even pace plus a mile cool down this morning. Hopefully will get the long run back up to 10 miles at the weekend. https://www.strava.com/activities/1136140916

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
3.1 miles in 4 weeks for me. Training is for wusses. In fact I have decided to hang up my yellow shoes for a couple of months as achilles tendon working but in constant pain. [MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION] can now overtake my Parkrun tally by the end of the year.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
3.1 miles in 4 weeks for me. Training is for wusses. In fact I have decided to hang up my yellow shoes for a couple of months as achilles tendon working but in constant pain. [MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION] can now overtake my Parkrun tally by the end of the year.

Sorry to hear about the Achilles. Thanks to you and guinnessboy for the long run advice. It sort of confirmed my own view. I find it really difficult to 'slow down' to a sub-marathon pace - anything over 9 mm - and (this is an admission of weakness) if I do I get worried that I'll 'lose' my pace. I guess a lifetime of training yourself to go faster makes it hard to train yourself to go slower - but of course the trick is to think 'longer' rather than 'slower'. But it's a whole lot better than your constant pain.......................................

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

Some good advice already. I was advised to run 3x 20 mile runs before my first marathon with the second one at your marathon pace to get accustomed to distance and speed. I would also peak at 40 miles a week leading up to the race before the taper.
Good luck for Saturday.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here