Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
How much was it? A few hundred quid? If so, I'm years away from being able to justify the expense but I am keen on piling into an Iron Man. I will need to really work on my swimming though, a KM kills me at the moment so 2.4 miles will take a significant amount of work.

In the meantime, I am gearing up for round 2 of the 3 parkrun challenge with [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION]. My left calf didn't enjoy the sprinting session of yesterday but I'm feeling like I'll be able to compete this week - with the spirit of the Bobkin within me!

Yes, I'm ready for Saturday. Let's check the weather Thursday or Friday and then decide between the Prom & Bevendean.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Brilliant write up [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] - saw it earlier but saved it for the commute home. Definite hero status.

Look forward to catching up soon even if Parkrun is well, a walk in the park for you now.

He'll cycle to Eastbourne, swim to Hove, do parkrun, run back to Eastbourne to get his bike and then cycle back home. Don't encourage him.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
How much was it? A few hundred quid? If so, I'm years away from being able to justify the expense but I am keen on piling into an Iron Man. I will need to really work on my swimming though, a KM kills me at the moment so 2.4 miles will take a significant amount of work.

In the meantime, I am gearing up for round 2 of the 3 parkrun challenge with [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION]. My left calf didn't enjoy the sprinting session of yesterday but I'm feeling like I'll be able to compete this week - with the spirit of the Bobkin within me!

It's tiered, based on how quickly you get in from when entries open. And the Ironman branded events aren't cheap, I think mine was close to £400. It's a lot, but I guess they cost a lot to put on. A hell of an experience – I knew you'd be up for it. Swimming will be fine – as I keep saying I pretty much couldn't swim a few months ago and on Sunday it was one of my favourite bits! Good luck for parkrun against [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION]...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's tiered, based on how quickly you get in from when entries open. And the Ironman branded events aren't cheap, I think mine was close to £400. It's a lot, but I guess they cost a lot to put on. A hell of an experience – I knew you'd be up for it. Swimming will be fine – as I keep saying I pretty much couldn't swim a few months ago and on Sunday it was one of my favourite bits! Good luck for parkrun against [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION]...

100 mile races by Centurion are about £140........just saying [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Brilliant write up [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] - saw it earlier but saved it for the commute home. Definite hero status.

Look forward to catching up soon even if Parkrun is well, a walk in the park for you now.

Cheers – it was a bit of a ramble...

I'm not sure parkrun will be a walk in the park (it'll certainly seem short!), but I'll be back on Saturday – can't wait.

He'll cycle to Eastbourne, swim to Hove, do parkrun, run back to Eastbourne to get his bike and then cycle back home. Don't encourage him.

Anything to avoid running 100 miles in one go :lol: As it happens, during my IM training I was tempted to cycle over to one of the far away parkruns and then cycle back. Maybe one day...

I would happily train and do the swim and the bike but the marathon, particularly after that, scares me. Think I'm more of a Paperman.

That's defeatist talk. The marathon (especially in Tenby) was a bit like a warm-down. Walk up the hills, run down - same as Moyleman. The crowd would get you over the line.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
100 mile races by Centurion are about £140........just saying [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

:lolol::lolol::lolol:

:rolleyes:

Not happening!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What I’m reading here is that the further you go and the more the challenge, the bigger the hole in your wallet. I love parkrun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What I’m reading here is that the further you go and the more the challenge, the bigger the hole in your wallet. I love parkrun.

Parkrun excepted, longer runs tend to be better value per mile, and ultras include meals every few miles........[emoji23][emoji23]

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Looking at some of the gear the competitors had on Sunday, I'd have to agree. A lot of the bikes alone are similar to the cost of a new car...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Calls for a one off table. Anyone else want to join.

NAME Full Ironman
Greg Bobkin Completed

I'd love to be able to join; however they shortened the UK Ironman (the Bolton one) bike by 17 miles this year due to the fires on Winter Hill near part of the course, so I don't consider myself having completed the full distance. I'm still really pissed off with the attitude of Ironman on this, in that there were alternatives to just cutting off an 8.5 mile corner of the 2 lap route, so I will probably avoid their events in the future.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Looking at some of the gear the competitors had on Sunday, I'd have to agree. A lot of the bikes alone are similar to the cost of a new car...

That was a great swim, time by the way, for someone that only took it up in the past year. How did you find it in the sea? A mate of mine who has done a few sea swim triathlonss says that, if the sea is calm, he can knock around 10% off of his swim time due to the extra bouyancy and being able to see the sea bed means less sighting is needed. However, if it's choppy, it can add 10-20%!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'd love to be able to join; however they shortened the UK Ironman (the Bolton one) bike by 17 miles this year due to the fires on Winter Hill near part of the course, so I don't consider myself having completed the full distance. I'm still really pissed off with the attitude of Ironman on this, in that there were alternatives to just cutting off an 8.5 mile corner of the 2 lap route, so I will probably avoid their events in the future.

Extremely tough luck. That is very, very bad organisation and lack of understanding of what entrants are aiming to achieve. I certainly won't do that one (nor any other)!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Extremely tough luck. That is very, very bad organisation and lack of understanding of what entrants are aiming to achieve. I certainly won't do that one (nor any other)!

It showed a real lack of empathy to competitors, especially first timers and potential 'once in a lifers' like me. Worse than the fact that these fires had been an issue for 4 weeks before the race - and hence time to consider alternatives - was that course re-route was only announced on the Tuesday before with no refunds or deferalls offered, and there was even the potential that the swim was going to be abandoned due to an unsafe level of blue/green algae in the lake the previous weekend, again no refunds would've been offered.

I was on the verge of withdrawing and doing the Outlaw Triathlon (IM distance) instead a couple of weeks later, and I would have if England had reached the World Cup final. I'm still pleased and proud to have completed was was still a very tough race with a challenging 95 mile bike course, but it does feel like a box that hasn't been properly ticked.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It showed a real lack of empathy to competitors, especially first timers and potential 'once in a lifers' like me. Worse than the fact that these fires had been an issue for 4 weeks before the race - and hence time to consider alternatives - was that course re-route was only announced on the Tuesday before with no refunds or deferalls offered, and there was even the potential that the swim was going to be abandoned due to an unsafe level of blue/green algae in the lake the previous weekend, again no refunds would've been offered.

I was on the verge of withdrawing and doing the Outlaw Triathlon (IM distance) instead a couple of weeks later, and I would have if England had reached the World Cup final. I'm still pleased and proud to have completed was was still a very tough race with a challenging 95 mile bike course, but it does feel like a box that hasn't been properly ticked.

Edinburgh marathon did this a few years back.....the temp was very high (yes, really....record for the time of year) and they ran out of water at the far end of the turnpoint on the course (they claimed some had been stolen overnight). They lopped about 3 miles off the course ‘on safety grounds’ by removing a loop. The Race Director, defending the decision after loads complained about not actually doing a full marathon, then made things infinitely worse by saying ‘well people still got their medals’ and, even worse, something along the lines of ‘it was only the fun runners and joggers that were affected, you know those taking over 4 hours’

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
There were problems with the Hamburg one too. Swim got cancelled because of algae or something!

I don't blame you being annoyed. No refunds or referrals, as I recall. But not recognised as a full Ironman either!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I did the 81 mile Caledonian Etape in 2009. Except I didn't. 8 miles cut off because of a knocky Scottish farmer protesting against road closures. He got tacks and spread them over the hilliest part of the course. No punctures for me but never before have I overtaken scores of top European cyclists albeit all trying to fix hundreds of punctures.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2009/may/17/etape-caledonia-cycling-carpet-tacks

The organisers did the best they could in the circumstances as it was a safety issue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here