Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
*Novice alert*

Been for a couple of runs for the first time in a (very) long time recently. I haven't explicitly timed them, but have run for around 20 minutes at a steady pace just to ease myself in as it were.

I think I'd like to work towards doing 5ks, and would like to set myself targets but I'm not really sure what I should be looking at. Could anyone kindly suggest some reasonable targets? I'm in mid 20s, play a bit of football and cricket, have an average build and I'd be keen to do a couple of practice runs a week. A quick google suggests it's pretty subjective so any help is appreciated!

PS - quite fascinating to read the last few pages to see what you guys have got going on, seems a pretty sound NSC sub-community.

Welcome to this little crazy (sometimes) corner of NSC. I love it here and there are some great like-minded people who get involved and you'll ALWAYS be sure to get an answer to your question. With that in mind, I'll kick off and say first off well done for getting back out there. Running 20 minutes from nothing is good going – any idea what sort of distance that is? I'll be the first – but not only – one to suggest using parkrun as the focus of your 5k goal. Great mix of runners, really supportive and plenty to choose from around these parts – every Saturday at 9am. In terms of targets, I guess it is dependant on your build, weight, height, etc. There are guys on here posting 5k times I could only dream of, but that's the beauty of running – everyone has their own goals.

Other than that, when I first started running I would just run slightly bigger loops every time, so I was out for longer and spending more time on my feet. Nowadays I would suggest mixing it up with hills and speedwork, which will help your fitness and help you reach targets in order to set new ones. There is probably everything you need around this area – hills, long flat stretches along the seafront, countless running clubs, track availability and the downs if you fancy getting into trails.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Welcome to this little crazy (sometimes) corner of NSC. I love it here and there are some great like-minded people who get involved and you'll ALWAYS be sure to get an answer to your question. With that in mind, I'll kick off and say first off well done for getting back out there. Running 20 minutes from nothing is good going – any idea what sort of distance that is? I'll be the first – but not only – one to suggest using parkrun as the focus of your 5k goal. Great mix of runners, really supportive and plenty to choose from around these parts – every Saturday at 9am. In terms of targets, I guess it is dependant on your build, weight, height, etc. There are guys on here posting 5k times I could only dream of, but that's the beauty of running – everyone has their own goals.

Other than that, when I first started running I would just run slightly bigger loops every time, so I was out for longer and spending more time on my feet. Nowadays I would suggest mixing it up with hills and speedwork, which will help your fitness and help you reach targets in order to set new ones. There is probably everything you need around this area – hills, long flat stretches along the seafront, countless running clubs, track availability and the downs if you fancy getting into trails.

Can't add much to this really helpful response, but you might want to check how far you are running. You can either do this by investing is some technology (but that will come when you are truly hooked) or visit a website such as the one pasted below. This will also give you some ideas for new training runs. (When most of us start running we tend to over-estimate the distances we cover!)
https://gb.mapometer.com/

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Yep, all of that ! Welcome to NSC's friendliest, most helpful thread [emoji106][emoji106]

Parkrun is 100% a great pace to start working towards the next level - and you're already capable of doing it. Worst that can happen ? If you start off to fast and blow up (loads of us do that after years of running [emoji23][emoji23]) walk a bit (no-one will judge you, parkun is 100% supportive, and you'll be absolutely nowhere near the back anyway) until you've got your breath back.

Register on the parkrun uk website, get your barcode printed off (and keep it dry) and give one of the local ones a go (there are several, and chances are if you're around Brighton someone on here will be there and happy to say hello, just post your plans on here). As [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] says the range of times just on here is huge, but the events themselves will see anything from 15 mins-odd to almost an hour sometimes.

Introducing some variation to your training is also spot on......faster intervals, hill repetitions, tempo runs, slow & easy runs etc etc. You'll soon be hooked, joining a club, entering races and planning stuff in no time.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
*Novice alert*

Been for a couple of runs for the first time in a (very) long time recently. I haven't explicitly timed them, but have run for around 20 minutes at a steady pace just to ease myself in as it were.

I think I'd like to work towards doing 5ks, and would like to set myself targets but I'm not really sure what I should be looking at. Could anyone kindly suggest some reasonable targets? I'm in mid 20s, play a bit of football and cricket, have an average build and I'd be keen to do a couple of practice runs a week. A quick google suggests it's pretty subjective so any help is appreciated!

PS - quite fascinating to read the last few pages to see what you guys have got going on, seems a pretty sound NSC sub-community.

Agree with all advice above. If you can get to a Parkrun run along and enjoy it. You then have a bench mark to work out your pace and stamina at the run in. It increases your time having people to run 'alongside with'.

Otherwise you can measure a course with a bike odometer or Hove seafront has some old km markers put in by the council 10 years back. Enjoy your running. Any initial aches and pains stretch or rest out. Even at your age you need to adapt to a new regime.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Thank you all for the feedback.

I'm going to do a 5k on my own before I do a Park Run just to see what sort of time I could be looking at. I'm sure I'll be back to report how it went before looking for more advice!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Thank you all for the feedback.

I'm going to do a 5k on my own before I do a Park Run just to see what sort of time I could be looking at. I'm sure I'll be back to report how it went before looking for more advice!

Another welcome from me. All great advice above.

You can also down load free apps to use on your phone Strava, Runtastic for example. Not 100% accurate but good enough.

Really don't worry about just giving parkrun a go. All abilities participate and are welcome, some people alternate walking and running, some walk all the way. Hove Prom in particular encourage walk/jogging groups.

I'll be at Hove Park Saturday if you want to give it a go - or just turn up and run anonymously!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Another welcome from me. All great advice above.

You can also down load free apps to use on your phone Strava, Runtastic for example. Not 100% accurate but good enough.

Really don't worry about just giving parkrun a go. All abilities participate and are welcome, some people alternate walking and running, some walk all the way. Hove Prom in particular encourage walk/jogging groups.

I'll be at Hove Park Saturday if you want to give it a go - or just turn up and run anonymously!

You are the Wealdstone Raider.
I hope to be back at Hove Park in 8 days time. My self imposed exile is almost over. I'm chomping at the bit to return to the leafy, shady paths next to our ancestral heartland. 99 tomorrow away. Then I'll be giving it a go indeed. I reckon that on our different paths to recovery I'm now only 10-20 seconds behind you. I'll be attempting to narrow that gap as we get nearer the first target of [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION].
I relish the all inclusive, non competitive allure of Parkrun!

Last edited:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
You are the Wealdstone Raider.
I hope to be back at Hove Park in 8 days time. My self imposed exile is almost over. I'm chomping at the bit to return to the leafy, shady paths next to our ancestral heartland. 99 tomorrow away. Then I'll be giving it a go indeed. I reckon that on our different paths to recovery I'm now only 10-20 seconds behind you. I'll be attempting to narrow that gap as we get nearer the first target of [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION].
I relish the all inclusive, non competitive allure of Parkrun!

Did you want some? And by the way you certainly ain't got no fans (double negative alert!)

All set for a joint 100th/150th Parkrun party on the 8th then.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Am currently halfway through the couch to 5K programme. The start literally being the couch. Have to say as someone not really used to keeping up an exercise regime I have found it useful. Four weeks in i'd say I am feeling the benefits and have now invested in some reasonable running shoes to help me on my way. I can't say I am totally enjoying it at the moment but feeling good afterwards is mightily addictive.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Am currently halfway through the couch to 5K programme. The start literally being the couch. Have to say as someone not really used to keeping up an exercise regime I have found it useful. Four weeks in i'd say I am feeling the benefits and have now invested in some reasonable running shoes to help me on my way. I can't say I am totally enjoying it at the moment but feeling good afterwards is mightily addictive.

Well done. Keep at it when you don't want to.. That's the benefit of following a plan. Ticking off the days and being able to look back to see the accumulation and effort put in and to look ahead at the plan to the final objective of the 5K. Then you can have a little rest and start another plan!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Well done. Keep at it when you don't want to.. That's the benefit of following a plan. Ticking off the days and being able to look back to see the accumulation and effort put in and to look ahead at the plan to the final objective of the 5K. Then you can have a little rest and start another plan!

Thanks, that's just the encouragement I need. When I look back to what week one was asking me to do compared to week four it's quite a radica difference. I find the defined goals of this plan a real help as I feel I am making progress every week.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Great to hear! I think a lot of people hate it when they start (some even hate it when they've been running for years), but it DOES get easier. The more you put in the more you get out. And the more you run, the further you can run (to a point). Simple as that.

I was hearing the other day (from someone whose other half was doing it) that C25K is big thing now and there are 'graduation' ceremonies and the like? This might have been different because they were part of a club, but is that also the case with you? Do you have an official 5k planned to end the programme?

Good luck for the rest of it.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Great to hear! I think a lot of people hate it when they start (some even hate it when they've been running for years), but it DOES get easier. The more you put in the more you get out. And the more you run, the further you can run (to a point). Simple as that.

I was hearing the other day (from someone whose other half was doing it) that C25K is big thing now and there are 'graduation' ceremonies and the like? This might have been different because they were part of a club, but is that also the case with you? Do you have an official 5k planned to end the programme?

Good luck for the rest of it.

Thanks!

Have yet to plan an official 5K to end the programme, but the closer I get to the end I will indeed look out for the nearest available run (don't want to call it a race) to participate in. As I said it's hard work at the moment, but I am feeling much better for the effort put in and that for me is the motivating factor, turns out I like not feeling like sh*t, who knew?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Thanks!

Have yet to plan an official 5K to end the programme, but the closer I get to the end I will indeed look out for the nearest available run (don't want to call it a race) to participate in. As I said it's hard work at the moment, but I am feeling much better for the effort put in and that for me is the motivating factor, turns out I like not feeling like sh*t, who knew?

If you make your 5k a Parkrun I'm sure an NSC Runners guard of honour could be arranged!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The couch to 5k should always end with a parkrun because of the sense of community, togetherness and a shared goal is better than an individual challenge.

I ran an awful race this morning, really awful. I got out of bed at 8:45, got to the start at 9am and then even with a couple of dawdlers on the start line I ran a too fast first KM and although I was at 7:38 at 2km, I knew a sub 20 was unlikely. 3km was 11:50 and then 4km was 16:24 which tells its own story really. I finished somewhere between 20:15 and 20:30 I think, I didn't really have anything left for a finishing sprint either. I've been struggling with my achilles a little bit so I haven't run this week, not since the last parkrun.

Positive - 9th consecutive parkrun week for me which is extending my personal record.

It struck me that I'm potentially playing a football tournament in Leicester next weekend, with Kettering's parkrun on the cards beforehand. At 25 minute pace, to keep some in the legs for the football. Which would mean missing out on [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]'s big day. :down:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Probably (Bugger) Bognor for me. Be interested to hear your view on Clair. I thought it was really quite hard but I did an OK time. I'd rank it about the same as Peacehaven.

Clair Park Run. Made a change to go to Haywards Heath without seeing the rheumatologist.
I think this sums it up.

When you get to the bottom
You go back to the top of the slide
And you stop and you turn
And you go for a ride
Then you get to the bottom
Then you see me again.

It broke my 9 week increase in performance but only just 9 seconds slower than last week. 23:01. A good result on a hilly course. How many seconds did you lose from your Worthing equivalent time?
The hardest kick was that incline at the bottom. Really sharp for 50 metres before leveling off to an uphill slog. Managed to get the pacing right and would revisit but not alone. Top award as least Health and Safety conscious course. Must be slippy in the Autumn. New Waitrose must be the nearest to a Parkrun start.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just noticed on my old and very accurate Forerunner 305 a 2.9miles distance. Suggesting course is 150m short or I cheated.Every Parkrun I've recorded has been as good as 3.1.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Preston Park for me again and the first time I've run successive weeks for Park Run in over a year. Hit 19:00 dead but found it a struggle it comparison to previous weeks.

It was only going into the last hill it dawned on me that sub 19 was still possible but I left it too late for the sprint to the line.

If I'm being honest I got a bit of a flyer from the start and went of before the start by at least a second so probably don't deserve the sub 19 time this time around.

Looking forward to the Phoenix now but might need a bit of treatment between now and then as hamstring is tightening again.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
22:51 at Hove Park for me. Felt I ran better than that, certainly must fluent I've felt for a while, maybe 10 miles along the Adur yesterday took it out of my legs. 500 runners at Hove Park so not too badly impacted by Prom and Worthing cancellations.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Clair Park Run. Made a change to go to Haywards Heath without seeing the rheumatologist.
I think this sums it up.

When you get to the bottom
You go back to the top of the slide
And you stop and you turn
And you go for a ride
Then you get to the bottom
Then you see me again.

It broke my 9 week increase in performance but only just 9 seconds slower than last week. 23:01. A good result on a hilly course. How many seconds did you lose from your Worthing equivalent time?
The hardest kick was that incline at the bottom. Really sharp for 50 metres before leveling off to an uphill slog. Managed to get the pacing right and would revisit but not alone. Top award as least Health and Safety conscious course. Must be slippy in the Autumn. New Waitrose must be the nearest to a Parkrun start.

That's a good run. At around the time I ran Clair in 22:19 I was running Worthing in 21:31. I remember finding the former to be a very tough run because of those sharp little hills. Today I did Bognor in 21:28 (tbc) and was happy with that. Huge field with many refugees from Worthing.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here