Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Good luck with the abductor injury.
A very fast Silver Medal for you and the GOLD medal goes to 79.59% AG from [MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION]. Against such strong NSC competition will be happy to take Bronze with 76.29% but maybe someone has beaten that and stopped me from medaling.

Do I have to deliver a speech? I've got one prepared............

Nowhere near that performance today: 21:13 (76.28%) at Worthing. But pleased with this - best time for a few months and I beat all the 50+ runners. If anyone ever does this course then it might be good to know that there are now km markers stencilled on the prom - really useful and helped me a lot today.

Downham (and Knocky) - hope various ailments and injuries clear quickly and that battle re-commences in New Year or as soon as possible thereafter.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Getting pretty annoyed now at 7 months+ hamstring trouble. Ran 11 miles Friday night but pace is signifiantly down on last year.

According to Garmin I ran the Moira Stewart elite 11 mile at 6:42 pace I got round friday in 7:40 the stamina is there just the speed is non existent. I'm pushing hard for anything under 7:20 pace nowadays.

I'm going to work hard at it over Xmas and new year and if no joy I'll just run for fun to keep the weight off.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Getting pretty annoyed now at 7 months+ hamstring trouble. Ran 11 miles Friday night but pace is signifiantly down on last year.

According to Garmin I ran the Moira Stewart elite 11 mile at 6:42 pace I got round friday in 7:40 the stamina is there just the speed is non existent. I'm pushing hard for anything under 7:20 pace nowadays.

I'm going to work hard at it over Xmas and new year and if no joy I'll just run for fun to keep the weight off.

That's bad news and you have every right to be disappointed. Injuries are sh*te. Moving house this year must have added to stress levels.The good news is you'll carry on running for fun whatever happens.
I reckon you need a good few months off the pace mixed with gentle cross training. If you're in the Brighton Marathon take it as a training run, that is around 3:45 for you. You can then smash it the year afterwards and enjoy the summer events in 2017.
Whatever you do don't push the training. Save yourself for set events in 1-2 months time. 6 months would be preferable.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Second steroid jab on Wednesday has made me wash the car, clear the back garden, jeyes fluid the steps, clear the front garden, clean all the windows, walk on the Downs,walk around the house incessantly, annoy the wife, go to the allotment, get up at 4 for the cricket and more importantly it has for now relieved the swelling in my knees. So ignoring the rheumatologist's advice I decided to do a drugged up Parkrun this morning. Good to see fit looking [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] for my first run since August. Stayed on the grass and mud for cushioning and ambled round in a puffing 27:30. Good to be back.

Good to see you too. Hope there's no major ill effects from your run. I can assure you I'm anything but fit-looking. Tipped the scales at 15st 1 yesterday morning, and we're not even into Christmas. Nine-mile progressive run this morning is the start of tackling the timber.

Sorry to hear that mate. No injury for me, but my times are way down too. When I think back to running Worthing Half in 1:39, it seems like a dream. As above, gotta concentrate on shifting some weight before I can even think about that sort of time again. Run this morning started with a 9:41 mile, down to a 8:18 at the end. Not too bad, but a long way from what it was...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sorry to hear that mate. No injury for me, but my times are way down too. When I think back to running Worthing Half in 1:39, it seems like a dream. As above, gotta concentrate on shifting some weight before I can even think about that sort of time again. Run this morning started with a 9:41 mile, down to a 8:18 at the end. Not too bad, but a long way from what it was...

It's amazing how performance drops away, isn't it?

I managed 20 miles last week - the first time I've done that for many months and, although I'm loving being out again, I also have no level of performance at all. I'm never going to be fast relative to some of the speedsters on here, but even so I'm significantly slower than I was.

I know improvement will come and, as before, probably quicker than I expect so I'm not bothered about it at all.

(Now I've typed the above, I've just remembered that Strava says I clocked my fastest 400m, 0.5 mile and 1km in a run on the last week but it was a short run taking in a steep hill that I had decided I just wanted to thrash down as hard as I could and plod home from there.)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Second steroid jab on Wednesday has made me wash the car, clear the back garden, jeyes fluid the steps, clear the front garden, clean all the windows, walk on the Downs,walk around the house incessantly, annoy the wife, go to the allotment, get up at 4 for the cricket and more importantly it has for now relieved the swelling in my knees. So ignoring the rheumatologist's advice I decided to do a drugged up Parkrun this morning. Good to see fit looking [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] for my first run since August. Stayed on the grass and mud for cushioning and ambled round in a puffing 27:30. Good to be back.

Welcome back.....take it easy though eh ?

Any idea what is causing the trouble ? Almost certainly nothing to do with the hamstring - more likely in the glutes...........could be worth a physio appointment to check. With you on the frustrating injury front though - have done no long runs since the end of July due to first a knee issue and now tibial tendinitis. It's very slowly getting better but incredibly irritating. Just trying to run right on the edge of it, very gradually upping my weekly mileage without inflaming it

Good to see you too. Hope there's no major ill effects from your run. I can assure you I'm anything but fit-looking. Tipped the scales at 15st 1 yesterday morning, and we're not even into Christmas. Nine-mile progressive run this morning is the start of tackling the timber.

If you find the timber-shifting secret let me know. Mostly down to willpower for me I think - I simply eat and drink too much. I'd like to get a stone off in the next couple of months (I've been more or less the same weight for years though having dropped 5 stone in the early days of running) - if I can get my training back on track, losing that would make such a difference to my times. I popped down to Hove Prom on Saturday just to set a benchmark, gasped and spluttered home in 21.35 (almost vommed just over half way too). Lots of work to do.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If you find the timber-shifting secret let me know. Mostly down to willpower for me I think - I simply eat and drink too much. I'd like to get a stone off in the next couple of months (I've been more or less the same weight for years though having dropped 5 stone in the early days of running) - if I can get my training back on track, losing that would make such a difference to my times. I popped down to Hove Prom on Saturday just to set a benchmark, gasped and spluttered home in 21.35 (almost vommed just over half way too). Lots of work to do.

I did the same a while back when I lost three stone and yes, it's willpower along with my mantra of 'eat less, move more'. But like you, I love food – which is part of the reason I run. I was 21:44 the other week around Hove Park parkrun, so not ALL hope is lost, but a couple of days of weekend excessive eating haven't helped. I'm gunning for 13.5 stone before London Marathon. The next two weeks are all about damage limitation!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Great to see [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] back on Saturday. 21 mins dead for me but included a shoe lace stop!

Followed up with 10 miles of hilly stuff yesterday which helped clear the hangover from being out until 2 in the morning.

Seems we have all been suffering various ailments through 2016. We all like to talk about the running we do on here, maybe we should try to raise the profile of rest and recovery as well as injury prevention through strength and conditioning training though difficult make this sound interesting!

I am trying to do two gym sessions per week. Warm up on spin bike both days. Mondays mainly stretch and rolling with some plank work for core strength. Then Tuesday planks, squats, lunges, leg press, pull ups, mountain climbs and rowing machine intervals. No heavy weights just three sets of each with rest intervals.
See I said it would be difficult to make it sound interesting but I think it has massive benefit in helping my running, preventing injury and keeping weight off.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Managed two painfully slow 3.5 mile runs last week. Going out for a 40 minute timed run tonight when back from work. Knee is still grumbling - not painful but restricted.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Did my final run of the year a couple of weeks ago - The Brighton 5k Santa dash, it was good fun but a little warm and the fluffy beard was a pain as appeared to eat most of it!

Into the hard part of my marathon training schedule at the moment, 12 weeks on Sunday until the Limassol Marathon and 15 weeks until Brighton. The last 4 Sundays I have done 10 miles, 9.5m, 13.4m and 11m last week. All at around 9.30@mile which is much quicker than my normal training runs, but this time doing most of my training runs with a mate from the running club as they are also doing Brighton and they are considerably quicker than me (they are aiming for sub 4 hours). As we step up the miles in the coming weeks I will see how long I can maintain that pace. My target is 4 hours 30 minutes.

Also I entered my third marathon of the year last night, I have a mate who will hopefully be at marathon number 100 on the 16th December 2017, so a few of us have entered this one http://www.saxon-shore.com/usual_suspects/ its a 6 hour challange event.

Anyway I hope all my fellow runners have a great Christmas and New Year. My next run is New Years Day, doing the Serpentine 10k in Hyde Park - doesnt start until 11am so will hopefully make the start line!

Love Santa x

santa 1.jpg

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The thread is beginning to remind me of the roll-call at the end of the film, Zulu!

Good luck to all those who are crocked or are recovering from 'crockery'. The pressure generated by the extra Xmas calories is just what you don't need; and it's a shame to end the year on a low note.

For me the challenge is to get in 5 Parkruns over the Xmas and New Year without joining the ranks of the injured. Am planning to do a 'double' on NY's Day - probably Reigate and Tilgate.............we'll see.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Planning to do second Park run Saturday. Looking at around 27:30ish again. Took my unused thigh muscles 4 days to recover from the last run.

My sources have informed me of another NSC running injury. The Run Squad training session last night had someone fall over a piece of driftwood in the dark. Hope it's not too serious [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION].

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Planning to do second Park run Saturday. Looking at around 27:30ish again. Took my unused thigh muscles 4 days to recover from the last run.

My sources have informed me of another NSC running injury. The Run Squad training session last night had someone fall over a piece of driftwood in the dark. Hope it's not too serious [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION].

Sprained ankle to report. Went to A&E today as it's pretty painful and swollen but x-rays showed no break thankfully. Been given crutches and looks like a week at leat off running. Quite relieved as I really thought I'd done something last night and got a DNF in the beer mile!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sprained ankle to report. Went to A&E today as it's pretty painful and swollen but x-rays showed no break thankfully. Been given crutches and looks like a week at leat off running. Quite relieved as I really thought I'd done something last night and got a DNF in the beer mile!

Happy Christmas!

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

So 2016 finishes as it began. Zsa zsa Gabor exits the stage and [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] joins the walking wounded. Pleased it's not too serious.

Ran a loop around the Amex today with the intention off creating a new segment on Strava but discovered one already exists although a bit sketchy. It seems to start and stop at the top of the ramp down to the station heading anti clockwise. I came in third with two others over 30 seconds in front. Would be good to see an NSC runner top this. Let's make this happen.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
So 2016 finishes as it began. Zsa zsa Gabor exits the stage and [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] joins the walking wounded. Pleased it's not too serious.

Ran a loop around the Amex today with the intention off creating a new segment on Strava but discovered one already exists although a bit sketchy. It seems to start and stop at the top of the ramp down to the station heading anti clockwise. I came in third with two others over 30 seconds in front. Would be good to see an NSC runner top this. Let's make this happen.

7pm before the Cardiff match? :drink::drink::drink::sick::sick:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Rotten luck but a week off doesn't sound too bad. Looks like a job for the ice-pack.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Ouch. Be really careful with that - I've missed several months of training through running with a sprained ankle. I compensated for it (subconsciously) before it was healed and buggered my knee up.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Well, if you're going to be crocked then Christmas is probably the best time for it.

I'm laying off the running myself until the New Year as I've been getting the odd niggling knee pains (though not whilst running) that I want to rid myself of before I get ready for the Surrey Half. I think is just down to not stretching properly after my last two events on top of a bit of over-compensation for the recent hamstring strain. Hopefully some rest, stretching and rolling will sort it out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here