Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Well, that is irritating - got just over a mile into a planned gentle 8 mile run and had to bail out as my calf seized up without warning. Bumped into a mate as I was jogging back home, who is building his miles up for London, so we've planned to meet up for a beer.

I've attacked the offending muscle with the foam roller and now it's going to get a hot bath!

And ice? Calves can be *******s - both of mine 'went' during a 10K which stupidly I finished - 20 years ago and I've never trusted them since. The foam roller is so painful that it MUST be working!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
And ice? Calves can be *******s - both of mine 'went' during a 10K which stupidly I finished - 20 years ago and I've never trusted them since. The foam roller is so painful that it MUST be working!

Hmm, which cold compress to go with - Mr Bump or Peppa Pig?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm still hanging in there just - 26 days of running and 26 days of not drinking. The latter is the more difficult.

Just when I think my knees have had enough and I'll have to stop they improve so I'm going to stick at c20 miles a week and see how it goes.

I had one of my favourite runs ever yesterday. I can see Cissbury Ring from my house, only yesterday it had disappeared into the fog so I decided to head up there.

It's only a short, if steep, run there and back and I had to walk a few stretches as the mud was so thick and I still don't have any trail shoes. I only saw a couple of other people and it was beautifully crisp if a little spooky at the top. I even got on top of the trig point to get a few extra feet of climbing!

b40a628e2f933eb5d94a1eb89197bf61.jpg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm still hanging in there just - 26 days of running and 26 days of not drinking. The latter is the more difficult.

Just when I think my knees have had enough and I'll have to stop they improve so I'm going to stick at c20 miles a week and see how it goes.

I had one of my favourite runs ever yesterday. I can see Cissbury Ring from my house, only yesterday it had disappeared into the fog so I decided to head up there.

It's only a short, if steep, run there and back and I had to walk a few stretches as the mud was so thick and I still don't have any trail shoes. I only saw a couple of other people and it was beautifully crisp if a little spooky at the top. I even got on top of the trig point to get a few extra feet of climbing!

b40a628e2f933eb5d94a1eb89197bf61.jpg

Good shot. Got a cousin who has to jump onto every trig point he comes across. Still doing it at 57.
Two questions. Are you left footed? Who took the photo?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Good shot. Got a cousin who has to jump onto every trig point he comes across. Still doing it at 57.
Two questions. Are you left footed? Who took the photo?

Right-footed.

My phone was positioned in a hole recording video and this is a still from that video.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
This is useful for us walking wounded.
IMG_20170127_084445275.jpg

Saw Jesus yesterday. Swollen Achilles, pain and 8 days rest before a return visit.
Looking good after that. £120 so far! Lucky I'm doing 120 days off booze.

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Off to Whitstable this weekend taking in what is probably the coldest and windiest Parkrun there is. Good fun though.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well, I think the streak might've taken it's toll. Knee is playing up a little bit, so it was power walking (so far) today, as opposed to running. Not sure if that qualifies as part of the streak, but it was the required 20 minutes of exercise.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Well, I think the streak might've taken it's toll. Knee is playing up a little bit, so it was power walking (so far) today, as opposed to running. Not sure if that qualifies as part of the streak, but it was the required 20 minutes of exercise.

No. You've bottled it. Hope this helps.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

No. You've bottled it. Hope this helps.

You are both mad men! I'd be broken on the third day of a streak!

I'm currently taking a few days off to ensure that my calf heals up properly. I managed 8.5 miles on Wednesday without it (or anything else) exploding, but want to get rid of the last of the tightness before venturing out again.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I'm not running very far though. It's probably the lightest run streak ever in that regard.

Assuming my knees hold up, I'll have managed something like 85 miles in January. That's more than September, October, November and December combined but some way off the 171 of July when I was really putting the effort in.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I've seen you in big yellow gloves and dressed as a Christmas Elf. I know you do eccentric challenges. Streaking is taking it to a new level though. Good luck with your virgin injury.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I'm currently taking a few days off to ensure that my calf heals up properly. I managed 8.5 miles on Wednesday without it (or anything else) exploding, but want to get rid of the last of the tightness before venturing out again.

I did it two years ago, when the minimum was a mile a day. I upped my game this year to a 20-minute minimum. Some of it has been running with Jnr Bobkin, which is fine – and most of the time it's easy to do. I'm just taking it easy with this 'thing' on my knee because I'd rather rest for a little while than be out properly injured for a long while. I'll see how it is later...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Being injured always makes me buy running socks and look at races to enter. I like the look of this free entry 1 mile race in the City of London in mid June. Will fit in well with training for the Weakest Link Relay but not so much the Phoenix 10k.
I would be hoping to aim as near 6 minutes as possible. 6:10 would be an estimate.

Race date not set yet. http://www.cityoflondonmile.co.uk/

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Lee-on-the-Solent parkrun. Nice course, new to me, with great views across to the Isle of Wight. as usual a very friendly, supportive atmosphere. Course was typical prom - almost totally flat. The only downside was a very nasty little wind. Big field of*398. A 21:57 (38th place and a category win; AG 74.37%) made the journey well worthwhile.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Whitstable park run after a gallon of red wine. Really nice event with really supportive participants and volunteers. Good times

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
First run post flu today excluding football and a modest 5km in 33 minutes.

Not helped by misjudging temperature and needing to de-layer after halfway as the sun was out and distinct lack of a breeze catching me out.

It's been so long I forgot to crank on the strava and will end up relying on the apple health app to get stattage.

From small acorns etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here