Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
My confidence has taken a significant hit today, my hip doesn't feel right at all so my active recovery sessions are now being relegated to total rest with plentiful stretching.

I'll be fine to compete on the day, but I don't think I'm going to be at close to the 100% I need to be to run the time I want to run. I'm resigned to trying to break my existing 3:29 record and then target another marathon later in the year for the sub 3 attempt.

You never know how you're going to feel on the morning of the race though. Everything could come together.

Is there anyone realistically going for a sub-3 on Sunday?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Going for 3:05 but not feeling all that confident right now.

Looks like you'll have reasonable weather for it. High of 13 degrees with light showers.

There's an ICE STORM warning in Toronto this weekend. I've decided to take Friday off and do my long run then :lolol:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
In all honesty, I am disappointed sat here at the moment. A lot of work and a lot of hours have gone in to this race and I might not be in a position to race it how I want to. :down:

I can target other races, but you want to do well in front of your own crowd!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Hit full blown anxiety mode today for some reason, worrying about issues from getting a cold to tripping over my shoe laces.

This has lead me to thing hard about my race plan which is now:

Mile 1 - 12: 7m10s a mile
Mile 13 - 20: 7m00s a mile
Mile 21 - 26.2: 6m50s a mile or as fast as possible.

Overall idea of keeping it steady and taking on plenty of fule for the first half of the Marathon.

This would get me 3h02m on the dot.

I think it will be very difficult to speed up from 21 miles to the end. In my own personal experience your body will be creaking and everything tightening, so it's a case of just hanging on and ensuring your average pace doesn't drop off too much.

I'd rather get the quick miles in early, whilst fresh and it feels relatively easy then grind it out in the last 10k.

Either way you're on for a really good time and looking at recent runs I can see you running at 7 minute mile pace as an average which will be about 3:04 or just under which will get you a superb time.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I think it will be very difficult to speed up from 21 miles to the end. In my own personal experience your body will be creaking and everything tightening, so it's a case of just hanging on and ensuring your average pace doesn't drop off too much.

I'd rather get the quick miles in early, whilst fresh and it feels relatively easy then grind it out in the last 10k.

Either way you're on for a really good time and looking at recent runs I can see you running at 7 minute mile pace as an average which will be about 3:04 or just under which will get you a superb time.

This is pretty much what a much quicker than me running buddy said today. Basically try and keep an even 7 min miles and try to creep under 3:05, so that's now my aim!

Half expect to blow up and land closer to 3:10 but still a big improvement from 3:22 ish and something to work on next year.

All the 3ish hour attempters are falling by the wayside as the big day approaches.

Is anyone feeling confident?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
This is pretty much what a much quicker than me running buddy said today. Basically try and keep an even 7 min miles and try to creep under 3:05, so that's now my aim!

Yes the old saying 'the halfway point of a marathon is 20 miles' is very true. I'd maybe try and bank some seconds or minutes by running just under your target pace as you will slow down, it's just a question of by how much.

If you could run at 6:57 for 20 miles you give yourself a minute cushion for the last 10k which means you can run 7:10 pace 20-26 knowing the thrill of the last 0.2 of the race you will suddenly find the adrenalin and crowd surge you on to a quicker finish.

I can't wait to watch and track everyone this year. Would be good to get bib numbers too once you know them at the weekend.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I don’t really have a plan but if I did this is what it would be. I’m thinking the loose aim should be to try and replicate my 2:31 time from the Gloucester20 in the first 20 miles, which then gives me an hour for the last 10k in order to secure a sub-3:30. If I don’t get it, no worries, it becomes my target for Edinburgh.

Like you, I know there is absolutely no chance I’ll be getting faster in the last few miles so getting slightly ahead of the required run rate early on is crucial.

Yes nothing worse than being beaten on Duckworth/Lewis. Get ahead, bank the seconds and then hang on for a painful final 10k (c.50 minutes).

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I know this goes completely against the rule book and I won’t do it, but the thought of just running my HM PB of 1:30 out of the traps, therefore giving myself two whole hours to jog round the second half, has crossed my mind a few times!

Cast your mind back to how you felt at the finish line. How would you have felt if someone said immediately, you’ve now got to jog for 2 hours and cover the same distance again.

I know it was only a thought but I’d stick with the relatively even pacing. I think you will comfortably break 3:30.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
You lot are amazing. I'm hoping to shuffle my middle aged and built for comfort, not for speed frame along at about 5 hours but I'm really excited and looking forward to the day. Best of luck to you all out there.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Is there anyone realistically going for a sub-3 on Sunday?

Looks like it is only an outside chance this marathon. Future looks bright for a break through. The current bunch plus yourself, [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] and [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION].

Which of you has the NSC fastest marathon time? I believe it's around 3:05:00 by the German? This could be under threat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here