Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
This is great. Will do my best to get to the bottom before doing a parkrun. Unlike Knocky I hate anything under about 10 miles.

Coach had me down for a parkrun next week. Sadly had to tell him I’ll be on my way to Stoke [emoji23][emoji23]

Unlike knocky1 you finished far ahead in the three 5k race offs we've had. You're on my bucket list for at least a one off victory. Hopefully this summer. Hence, the marathon endurance training...........

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Thanks for the advice. Although I’ve racked up a huge number of miles I’ve done very few races - just one HM, one 10 miles and three 10ks. So one area I am lacking in is the ability to plan a race strategy, which is why it is very useful to read your words. I like the sound of your timings. They make it sound more realistic. If I can aim for a 22:00 first 5k and another 22:00 second 5k I’ll be well on track. The course then hits the seafront and goes 5k west, which is forecast to be into a 17mph wind on Sunday so that’ll be damage limitation, before the turn and a final 5k with the wind in which I can give it everything. The key is going to be getting the first 10k right so that I’m fast enough to be on track but still have enough in the tank to run 5k with a head wind between 11k and 16k without losing too much time.

If nothing else, I’m going home with a PB and a much clearer idea of how to tackle Brighton in two weeks.

What time are you aiming for [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] and what does the breakdown look like?

Racing is something you become familiar with as you run in more of them, the parkruns will help more than you realise. I don't put too much time into thinking about strategy because ultimately, you'll do what you do on the day. But it can't hurt to have a general idea what you're aiming for and what you're hoping to achieve.

I can't say too much about my plan, there are eyes everywhere! I have two general plans of attack, depending on the time I get there and where I start from on the grid. If I have to start from the very back again, I'll be far more aggresive than if I can get a start higher up the field, for example. We'll see.

Today's mile sprints session is going to give me a good idea where I am and then it's taper time!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Racing is something you become familiar with as you run in more of them, the parkruns will help more than you realise. I don't put too much time into thinking about strategy because ultimately, you'll do what you do on the day. But it can't hurt to have a general idea what you're aiming for and what you're hoping to achieve.

I can't say too much about my plan, there are eyes everywhere! I have two general plans of attack, depending on the time I get there and where I start from on the grid. If I have to start from the very back again, I'll be far more aggresive than if I can get a start higher up the field, for example. We'll see.

Today's mile sprints session is going to give me a good idea where I am and then it's taper time!

I'm really looking forward to Sunday's run from a spectator viewpoint. I have a gut feeling on a Big Nuts, Ninja, TCB finish and I've placed a pony on the treble with Betfair. You'll have to prove me wrong.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm really looking forward to Sunday's run from a spectator viewpoint. I have a gut feeling on a Big Nuts, Ninja, TCB finish and I've placed a pony on the treble with Betfair. You'll have to prove me wrong.

I was planning on popping along, but I've just realised I won't be here! Sorry chaps, but good luck at Worthing.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
8 x 1 mile sprints put in the tank tonight, feeling pretty good and I outpaced a fox which was chasing me briefly between Shoreham power station and back East.

One more session to pile into on thursday and then a nice dip in the pool on friday, before the big one and against the big one, on sunday!

That being said, I think [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] is going to surprise himself on the day, conditions dependent. If there's a mad wind blowing then times will be down across the board but if the conditions are ok, I think he'll be within a mile of the big fella and myself, at the absolute WORST.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Come on then [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION], [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION], and [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION], what are your target times for the big showdown?!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Come on then [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION], [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION], and [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION], what are your target times for the big showdown?!

I think you've got more chance of Chris Hughton telling you what his tactics are for the Stoke trip.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

I think you've got more chance of Chris Hughton telling you what his tactics are for the Stoke trip.

I'm feeling less confident of victory over this distance, after reviewing [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] activities on Strava, I think he's got the legs to take the NSC title here. I felt I was in a good place for the Arena 10k and so it proved, but this time I'm feeling less confident and I'm still considering my tactics. I won't be revealing my target time, but realistically, if the big man is wanting 88 minutes, that's going to have to be my target as well!

Just to be clear are we judging the results on chip time, or gun time? First past the post, or quickest chip time is the question!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I'm feeling less confident of victory over this distance, after reviewing [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] activities on Strava, I think he's got the legs to take the NSC title here. I felt I was in a good place for the Arena 10k and so it proved, but this time I'm feeling less confident and I'm still considering my tactics. I won't be revealing my target time, but realistically, if the big man is wanting 88 minutes, that's going to have to be my target as well!

Just to be clear are we judging the results on chip time, or gun time? First past the post, or quickest chip time is the question!

Chip time is fairest I suppose, however extra kudos for making your target time by the gun!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Ideally you should meet before hand and start together but not easy when so many runners. Has to be chip time.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Just found out I have got a place in the Great North Run via the ballot! Happy with that as everyone tells me it is a fab event to run!

I did Preston Park Park Run on Saturday, enjoyed that, even if was a little busy at the start line and difficult to get going! Didnt get an offical PB (25.17) but according to Garmin it was the quickest I have run and also the longest park run I have run, averaging 7.58 @ mile, the first time ever with an average at under 8 min miles! Sunday I did the CRUK London Winter 10k. A great event, such a great day and despite the park run the day before and the much longer slower marathon training miles did that in 50.17.

Sunday I will be someway behind the super-ego's battle in Worthing, but I will be plodding along behind them. Course looks a bit twisty but my initial target is 1.50 (current PB 1.53).

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Sub-1:35 for me. I can talk openly about my aims as I won't be involved in the fight upfront!

Sub-1:35 is 4:30/km. I did a dress rehearsal last night - 17.25km at 4:27/km. If I replicate that on race day I'll cross the line in 1:33:53. So the good news is I definitely have the pace. The bad news is last night was ideal conditions, whereas Sunday is forecast to have 17mph winds.

Is anyone else on here running on Sunday?

I’m running Sunday but will be nowhere near the super egos. I’m reckoning somewhere between 1:45 to 1:50.

BTW I keep meaning to ask, are [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] related and which part is the incomplete badger missing?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I’m running Sunday but will be nowhere near the super egos. I’m reckoning somewhere between 1:45 to 1:50.

BTW I keep meaning to ask, are [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] related and which part is the incomplete badger missing?

:lolol:

No relation. I wasn't even aware there was a "complete" badger when I registered. I've always felt incomplete on NSC.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Definitely chip time, although I'll look out for [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] and do my upmost to start together.

15MPH westerly isn't going to help, but it will set up a fast final 5k which could add to the drama and excitement.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Definitely chip time, although I'll look out for [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] and do my upmost to trip him up

15MPH westerly isn't going to help, but it will set up a fast final 5k which could add to the drama and excitement.

:thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
First time I've really stretched my legs since starting back up tonight. Ran a course I knew was about 5k (turned out to be 3.06 miles) off feel. I had my watch on but didn't look at it once, trying to hit what I thought would be my 10K pace in a current race. Managed 26.07, though it wasn't quite consistent, running the last mile slower due to traffic, pedestrians and generally remembering I had another run planned on Friday. Good news though is no reaction. This time last year was when I bailed on Brighton full and half because my knee turned in to a ball of pain at anything faster than 9:30 m/m.

D Block blue

Feb 23, 2009
West Sussex la la la
Sunday I will be someway behind the super-ego's battle in Worthing, but I will be plodding along behind them. Course looks a bit twisty but my initial target is 1.50 (current PB 1.53).

I will be in a similar time boat to you too after losing my running mojo in December, couldn't believe how quick i lost fitness but hopefully back on track for an ok run Sunday and a build towards Brighton full marathon in April (fingers crossed) good luck to all Sunday who are running (pb 1-47) if i get under 1-50 i will be happy.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here