Page 1312 of 1531 FirstFirst ... 3128121212126213021309131013111312131313141315132213621412 ... LastLast
Results 13,111 to 13,120 of 15302

0 Not allowed!
    Feeling properly fed up as have been laid up in bed three days with Manthrax. Marathon training for the Brighton event well and truly scuppered this week. Instead of getting in 35 miles a week it's likely to be none, as I don't want to risk getting out there too soon and doing further damage.

It's only my second marathon. Has anybody else been laid up around five weeks out from the big day and if so, what sort of dent did it put in your preparations? I'm fortunate in that time isn't really a factor. It's more a case of getting around. I should still be able to get a 20 miler under my belt before the taper kicks in but I'm now about two weeks behind where I wanted to be. Does muscle memory win out in the end?
    Albion and Rhinos forever.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

2 Not allowed!
      Have pulled out of the Hastings half on Sunday, physio warned against running with inflamed Achilles. Gutted.

Might console myself by volunteering for the Moyleman marshalling (free beer and pizza)
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Seaford by the sea View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Have pulled out of the Hastings half on Sunday, physio warned against running with inflamed Achilles. Gutted.

Might console myself by volunteering for the Moyleman marshalling (free beer and pizza)
      Sorry to hear that. As a fellow Achilles sufferer myself at the moment, did your physio give you any advice around rehab?

I’m due to see mine Saturday morning for a diagnosis and treatment but anything from your experience that has helped would be appreciated.

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by jimhigham View Post
      Feeling properly fed up as have been laid up in bed three days with Manthrax. Marathon training for the Brighton event well and truly scuppered this week. Instead of getting in 35 miles a week it's likely to be none, as I don't want to risk getting out there too soon and doing further damage.

It's only my second marathon. Has anybody else been laid up around five weeks out from the big day and if so, what sort of dent did it put in your preparations? I'm fortunate in that time isn't really a factor. It's more a case of getting around. I should still be able to get a 20 miler under my belt before the taper kicks in but I'm now about two weeks behind where I wanted to be. Does muscle memory win out in the end?
      One week wonít make any material difference, it really wonít. Donít worry about it. Far more important to recover fully before you deplete your body with a lot more running. If youíre desperate to do a 20 you can do it 2 weeks before, but if you only get to say 17/18 thatíll do if youíre not too bothered about a time.
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"
      Members

1 Not allowed!

You may have to be prepared to drop any target time you have. You'll get round. It's disappointing but nothing can be done about it.

I've been moping around for 2 weeks with muscle aches, stomach and headaches but luckily it's in the taper weeks for Sunday's Moyleman. Just thinking I'll be back to full health on the day, focused on giving it my best and thinking back to how easy running was 2 weeks ago. Looking forward to having my first pint in 68 days, if @Seaford by the sea hasn't drunk it all.
      Head in the clouds Ninja Elephant's Avatar

0 Not allowed!

Before my 5th marathon, Brighton 2016, I wasn't able to run for weeks beforehand, until I got 2 weeks out. I ran 7 miles on a saturday, that was it for the week. The next week I ran 3.6 miles on the monday, 3.4 miles on the friday and then 17.1 miles on the saturday. I then ran 2.9 miles on the tuesday before the marathon on the sunday.

It can be done, it doesn't mean it's TO be done! But there's no reason why you can't go in without too much preparation. I ran 3:59:27 - over to you!

My hip/groin injury is causing me many problems, I'm going to be stuck inside this week and it looks more and more likely that my charge for 2:blahblah will be postponed for another course this year. I'm not giving up hope and on the day, whatever happens, I'll be going for it. But I have other options in mind as well.

1 Not allowed!
      Thanks chaps. All good to hear. Time really isn’t the thing. I’ve only got a rhino encumbered 6:08:43 to beat.
      Albion and Rhinos forever.

0 Not allowed!
      I can relate to the people struggling at the moment ahead of marathon season. It’s amazing how the M&S collapse has affected me. I’m seriously struggling with a lack of energy. I had to take a few days off last week, I was just physically incapable of running even though I should have been looking at a 20 miler on Sunday. I’ve got back out there with a 13km last night and a 20km tonight but it hasn’t felt good. I’m determined to cover a big distance this week to get me back on track. Whether that’s actually a good idea, I’m not convinced.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by big nuts View Post
      Sorry to hear that. As a fellow Achilles sufferer myself at the moment, did your physio give you any advice around rehab?

Iím due to see mine Saturday morning for a diagnosis and treatment but anything from your experience that has helped would be appreciated.
      Good luck with the Achilles, initial treatment usual rice, use anti inflammatories,

in terms of exercises build the strength in the Achilles up by standing by window sill, place fingers on sill to help with balance, lift uninjured leg off floor and bend at knee, so all weight on bad Achilles and very slowly raise heel off ground and very slowly lower again. 6 repetitions, a few times a day, everyday. pain should be no more than 3 on scale 1-10 otherwise stop.Then add more weight in later weeks by holding dumbbell or books. If you bounce on the one foot doing the exercise and there is pain, donít run.
      I think if the exercise is too painful, you can do something to put less strain on Achilles. But my situation was milder than that. He thinks caused by the recent interval session, new shoes and strain of the track round the bends on my left leg, too much at once basically
      He checked over my heel / ankle movement which is very poor on the affected leg , which will be worked on next time, and will look at hip alignment when running as well, Hope that helps.

Thought he was quite good as alternative to Jesus. Based at lewes racket sports centre in cockshut road (snigger). Dan Nichols, he,s flying off next week to Physio for team England at the commonwealth games, so that says something I think £42.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Strava question for the running/cyclists. Uploaded 34m round trip to Seaford yesterday and although a seperate activity the mileage is added to the weekly Strava activity mileage graph. This ****s up the running graph which I check to make sure I'm steadily increasing mileage and having rest weeks (dropping distance 10-20% every 4 weeks or so).

Is there a way round this? If not I'll have to upload cycling sessions and physically write them in a training plan before deleting them.
      Searching google it seems this is a Strava flaw.