Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Do you know what. In the end I just registered as I knew I'd wimp out otherwise.

Last time I started my training in January (having never ran before) and died at about 10.5 miles.

This time I want to start early with a slow structured training plan and feel that I can achieve the distance by Christmas. To put in context I went for my first run in over a year on Sunday after watching the marathon. I had to stop at 2 miles for a minute or so and then plodded the last mile. I realise it was a hot day to start again but I was shocked just how hard I found it.

I would build up, as [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] said, between now and Christmas. No need to go over 15 miles before Xmas. Easy once weekly long runs in December of 10-12 miles in 2 hours would be more than enough. You don't want to get tired before you start the final 16 week programme at the New Year but you want to be fit and ready to take it on.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I would build up, as [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] said, between now and Christmas. No need to go over 15 miles before Xmas. Easy once weekly long runs in December of 10-12 miles in 2 hours would be more than enough. You don't want to get tired before you start the final 16 week programme at the New Year but you want to be fit and ready to take it on.

No need to go over 15m at all really for a half marathon :moo::wrong::lolol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Ignore that then.

No need to go over 15m at all really for a half marathon :moo::wrong::lolol:

I went to the opticians yesterday. Soon be reading properly again.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
He's been removed from the results - good work by BM team to act so swiftly :thumbsup:

Well done BM team. The only way to eradicate cheating is to deal with it swiftly, once proven of course.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
A guesstimate would be 1 and a quarter miles. Give or take a 100 metres. I've been wrong every day this week though!

I don't think you're far out.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Small parkrun lap about 1km and bigger one about 2km possibly ?

Failing that, there are km markers on the path anyway [emoji106]

Almost but start is a few hundred metres from finish line and furthermore you rejoin from short lap between the finish and start positions. It becomes an algebra equation with some pi thrown in, if you're not tight on the path circumference, or stop at the cafe.
This screws up the km markers on the outer lap.
I'll fit it in with a bike ride next week and get the odometer to work.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Would any of you know how far a lap of the path at Hove Park measures? Thanks in advance.

The Parkrun site says it's two long laps of 1.8km and one short of 1.4km. I assume from this the short 'lap' ends at the finish point to make the two long laps the same distance.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Going by the Strava segment.. one lap of the large ring is aprox 1.1 miles..

I don't trust Strava measurments one bit, as they tend to do weird roundings rather than trust the watch data. For instance, when I did the Bognor Regis Parkrun the other day my watch had it down as 3.09 miles, and Strava as 2.9 miles.

Shorehamkid

Aug 3, 2011
Bet you wish you'd never asked!

Haha I might head up there with an industrial sized tape measure and end this debate once and for all! I know you can't believe what Wikipedia says... but it states the outer path measures 1.17 miles/1.89 km, pretty much agreeing with NSC's great and good.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I am probably running round it later. Will see what Stava has to say but I agree that Strava can be wildly off at times, I'm SURE I'm faster than it tells me.

:angel:

In an effort to hit a 50 minutes 10k this summer (quick for me), I'm looking at both the Phoenix 10k and the Trailblazer event on the following Sunday. Heopfully will get it on the seafront as that Trailblazer looks HOT and HILLY.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I am probably running round it later. Will see what Stava has to say but I agree that Strava can be wildly off at times, I'm SURE I'm faster than it tells me.

:angel:

In an effort to hit a 50 minutes 10k this summer (quick for me), I'm looking at both the Phoenix 10k and the Trailblazer event on the following Sunday. Heopfully will get it on the seafront as that Trailblazer looks HOT and HILLY.

The Phoenix 10k is excellent and definitely a good NSC meet up event. I am aiming fir sub 50 this year (51.06 current PB). However I am now on the injury list after my two marathons in 21 days. My right knee has decided to fall apart, I cant straighten it without getting shooting pains through it! Giving it a rest over Easter otherwise I may be seeking the help of Jesus! Next race is 21st May the excellent Horsham 10k so hope to be ready for that. I can honestly say this is the first time I have picked up an injury in a race. Anyway will be at Wolves tomorrow, so that will take my mind off it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here