Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arsenal's new stadium

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Just heard on the London news that Arsenal has received approval for its new stadium. No more details as yet - anyone else got further information?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
357 million i think its gonna cost

60,000 capacity

it will allow arsenal another 15million in the summer transfer window to back up the 20 million spent on reyes. man utd top prem club anmore? i dont think so!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Probably just a re-iteration of yesterday's news confirming that they have secured all of the required finance, and expect it to be ready for them for the 2006-07 season.

Planning permission was achieved quite a while back.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:
357 million i think its gonna cost

60,000 capacity

it will allow arsenal another 15million in the summer transfer window to back up the 20 million spent on reyes. man utd top prem club anmore? i dont think so!

They are reported spending 120Million on the stadium, and 250Million on roads, a fancy bridge and doing up the underground in the area to cope with the influx people !!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
From bbc website

Arsenal secure stadium cash

HOW THE MONEY WAS RAISED

£260m: Senior loan facility from a stadium facilities banking group
£97m: The club itself through Granada, Nike and sale of land
Pictures of Arsenal's new stadium
Arsenal have secured the required £357m of funding to build their new stadium at Ashburton Grove.
After securing a complex financing deal Arsenal are now set to continue construction work at the site.

The Gunners hope the 60,000-seater stadium will now be ready for the start of the 2006-07 season.

"This is exciting news. This club has such an illustrious past but this is one of the most important dates in our history," said manager Arsene Wenger.

The Gunners boss has always maintained that leaving Highbury to move to a larger new stadium is essential to the club's long-term growth.

"It has been a big target of mine to participate in pushing the club forward and relocating to a new stadium is a necessity as it will enable us to become of one the biggest clubs in the world," added Wenger.

"I love the fact that the new site is so close to Highbury, it's where our heart is and from a personal point of view, I am hopeful of being the Arsenal manager when we move to the new stadium in 2006."

The Frenchman insisted: "I'm prepared to be committed to the club at least until we go into the new stadium.

"For me, it's important that the club goes in there and that I make sure the team are at a very good level.

"After that, whether it's me or someone else, the club will be able to compete at the highest level. But for me to run away now would not be fair."

Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood said: "The gamble we are taking is that Arsene continues to work the miracles that he's worked for the past seven years or so.

"Will he stay at the club? I sincerely hope so - he might even be chairman!"

He added: "This is excellent news for Arsenal.

"Over recent years we have established ourselves as one of the leading clubs in Europe and the stadium, which we can now positively look forward to, will provide us with the opportunity to sustain and build on this position."

Arsenal managing director Keith Edelman said that the project will not be putting the club's future at risk.

"The important thing about this deal is that the risk of filling the stadium has been taken by the banks, not by Arsenal Football Club," said Edelman.

"The stadium is owned by Ashburton Properties Limited and the banks are taking the risk around that, so if the stadium does not fill out it is down to the stadium company and not Arsenal.

"However, I don't think anyone would go into this deal thinking that is a possibility.

"The banks ran all the scenarios and believe they can get repaid for the stadium, and that shows how robust the plans are."

He added: "We are taking on a large financial debt, but the extra revenue we are generating from the stadium will more than cover that debt."

The stadium will be built by Sir Robert McAlpine under a £220m fixed price contract, which also includes the construction of a new waste and recycling centre.

The financing of the project is highly complex.

Ashburton Properties has obtained a £260million senior loan facility from a stadium facilities banking group.

The group comprises The Royal Bank of Scotland PLC, Espirito Santo Investment, The Bank of Ireland, Allied Irish Banks PLC, CIT Group Structured Finance (UK) Limited and HSH Nordbank AG.

Interest on the senior debt is set at a commercial fixed rate over the 14-year term.

Arsenal themselves are making up the deficit through funds from Granada, Nike and the sale of surplus land assets relating to the stadium site.

ARSENAL'S BIG MOVE
The new projects architects also designed Stadium Australia in Sydney, the English National Stadium at Wembley, Royal Ascot Racecourse and Wimbledon Centre Court
The number of executive boxes will rise from 48 to 150 while there will be 41 camera positions
Premiership attendances should go up from an average of 722,795 to 1,140,000 a season
The site is 27 acres in size while Man Utd's is a 100 and the new Wembley is 130
Highbury will be converted into residential flats and the pitch will be used as their communal garden.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The plan is still liable to delays as the purchase of the land has not been sorted out yet, (CPO Inquiry result waited) unless anybody knows any better.

I would say that Falmer was ahead in the race to be built first.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The article states beginning 2006/07 season.

An Arsenal fan I spoke to this morning says they have got it.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
perseus said:
The plan is still liable to delays as the purchase of the land has not been sorted out yet, (CPO Inquiry result waited) unless anybody knows any better.

I would say that Falmer was ahead in the race to be built first.

Perseus, Arsenal have the site, planning permission and now the money to build their new stadium. Last time I checked, we had none of these so how on earth will Falmer be built before Ashburton Grove?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Doesn't do our campaign any harm. Wenger has already kindly voiced his opinion to JP on our stadium plans. If Falmer is turned down, then we have the stark contrast of "them and us" between Arsenals huge stadium application being approved, while our far more modest (by comparison) plan is thrown out (if, god help us, that happens).
Yes, the planning circumstances for each one is vastly different, but the relative implications for each club not getting the go-ahead are at opposite ends of the scale. Arsenal would continue to operate at the top level anyway. We would cease to operate at any level.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Arsenal have not yet purchased all the land required. This just means a delay.

cf. suppose that Brighton University did not agree. This is the stage Arsenal are at before that Brighton University announced their agreement.

The Ashburton Public Inquiry is a bit unusual as Prescott has asked for further information after the CPO Public Inquiry has finished.

I would not rule out the possibility of this happening with the Falmer application. e.g we could be the subject of further delays. The blame then would be down to Brighton Council.

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
What will happen to Highbury. Isn't it a listed building?

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Highbury is going to be turned into housing. The two listed stands will have flats built into them and the pitch will be a communal garden.

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Should be an interesting development. Pity another football club couldn't move in though (don't know which one mind). Presumably this development will offset some of the costs of the new stadium?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I wonder if the kids in the apartments will be allowed to kick a football in the communal garden? Should keep the goals at least.

perseus said:
Prescott has asked for further information after the CPO Public Inquiry has finished.

I would not rule out the possibility of this happening with the Falmer application.
I would rule it out completely! There isn't going to be a CPO Public Inquiry - because there isn't any need for a CPO.

Yet more gloom-mongering from Mr Wrong. Why?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I was optimistic really. I said we would get a our stadium before Arsenal's.

Do you believe that?

Gawd knows what Prescott's office can get up to. Ten months after the Arsenal CPO Public Inquiry had ended, Prescott asked for more information.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
chips and gravy said:
What will happen to Highbury. Isn't it a listed building?

the Highbury pitch is, i understand, officially consecrated(sp) ground due to the many ashes that have been scattered there over the years. Maybe a lesson to all football fans as some form of insurance against their ground being sold off wholesale.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here