Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

French film

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
cool, looking forward

includes the immortal exchange:

<<Vous avez vu, c'est un Anglais ! Un Anglais ! J'les aime pas, moi, les Anglais ! Vous les aimez, vous, les Anglais ?! [Ben oui !]
[Faisant des grimaces et tics nerveux] Bah moi j'les aime pas !>>

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Jean Pierre Melville is really good. Especially check out Army in the Shadows and Le Doulos. Bob le Flambeur is also very good and Le Cercle Rouge is supposed to be amazing but I haven't seen it. Well worth a watch as he has been very influential on people like Tarantino and Michael Mann.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Amelie's good if you're the sort of person who likes Sex and the City. It's bloody awful to the rest of us

Damnit! After all the recommendations I bought it in the sale for £3. Still not watched it in over a year, but now feel even that low price is a waste.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Damnit! After all the recommendations I bought it in the sale for £3. Still not watched it in over a year, but now feel even that low price is a waste.

Nah don't listen to him it's a very good film. It's a little bit cheesy but it's still very imaginative, and it's absolutely nothing like Sex and the City.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I thought it was soppy romantic slush - unbelievably silly, Two hours of my life I won't get back

I don't mind some romantic films - Les Enfants du Paradis is about an eternal triangle, yet is one of the best films ever made - but Amelie is cinematic chick-lit

EDIT:Spider, I didn't say it was like SATC, I said that people who liked SATC would like Amelie

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Frontiers
Martyrs

both good French horrors.

36 - great police drama (on BBC4 the other night)

The French film industry is possibly the best in the world. It's strong due to massive backing and theres a cap on foreign film showing in the cinemas. Something like there must be more French than foreign films being shown at the multiplexes.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Is this any good?

51W75NM8E2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Ok everyone should watch The Wages of Fear. Holy moley, an immaculate film of deep tensions. It's just the simple tale of men desperate for money transporting an explosive nitroglycerine across the winding and hilly roads of south America. It's so bloody nervewracking despite it just being men sweating in cabs and watching out for the potholes that might end them all.
It kinds of sounds like a combination of Speed and a double-episode of Diagnosis Murder, but it's done by Herni Georges Clouzot, whose work is visually strange and intense at times. Buddy brilliant.

Also, this week i saw Leaving at le cinema. A good film. The break-up of a relationship, unsurprisingly, and the fiscal price of Kristin Scott Thomas finding love elsewhere. It opens with a gunshot, and then works it way to that moment of undoubted death for someone. Quite romantic behind the trauma, Thomas telling her new ex-convict man that it's the happiest day of her life whilst he possibly says something similar in catalan. Moving.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
As a teenager having successfully won the case for having a tv in my bedroom, channel 4 was in it's infancy and nothing like the conventional rubbish that it is now. I remember being well happy stumbling across this late one night :whistle:

Pauline at the Beach (1983)

Probably cringe to watch it now, but it's a film title that I've never forgotten.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Frontiers
Martyrs

both good French horrors.

36 - great police drama (on BBC4 the other night)

The French film industry is possibly the best in the world. It's strong due to massive backing and theres a cap on foreign film showing in the cinemas. Something like there must be more French than foreign films being shown at the multiplexes.

I'll go with that 36 was a superb film, very atmospheric and violent

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here