Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

French film

charlieoatway

through thin and thin
Aug 22, 2009
Bristol
Also, this week i saw Leaving at le cinema. A good film. The break-up of a relationship, unsurprisingly, and the fiscal price of Kristin Scott Thomas finding love elsewhere. It opens with a gunshot, and then works it way to that moment of undoubted death for someone. Quite romantic behind the trauma, Thomas telling her new ex-convict man that it's the happiest day of her life whilst he possibly says something similar in catalan. Moving.

Glad I hear you liked this off to see it this week, also saw the latest from Clare Denis, last week 'White Material', pretty good and worth a watch, emotional but restrained.

must admit my favourite French film of the year has been 'A Prophet' and would not be surprised if it was still there at the end of the year

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
the_400_blows_blu-ray_criterion.jpg
red_balloon_final.jpg

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Bit late, but I you are still looking for some French movie fixes, try also:

Subway
Diva
Betty Blue
Anything For Her
Le Diner Du Cons (sp?)...which I THINK saw Canto a's screen debut!
L'appartement
Delicatessen
Ridicule
The Horseman On The Roof
Les Visiteurs (very popular though I was a bit disappointed tbh)
The 400 Blows

Plenty of prior recommendations are tops...esp glad to see Clouzot and Melville mentioned....Le Cercle Rouge is indeed a striking number...esp love the lizards in the amazingly wallpapered shabby hotel!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Nibble, did you ever check out Rabbi Jacob?

Entirely unrelatedly of course, Au Revoir Les Enfant is a cracker. And Etre Et Avoir is one of my favourite documentaries ever made, a film which gets you right there.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Ta for the recommendations on here. I watch I Loved you So Long the other day and loved the film, so ordered a Tell No One and Paris. Added plenty of the others to my wish list and will get them as and when, though the Adventures of Rabbi Jacob is about £40 so guess i'll have to give it a miss.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Liked Un Prophete, though it didn't WOW me as I thought it was going to. Might go with Hidden next.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Liked Un Prophete, though it didn't WOW me as I thought it was going to. Might go with Hidden next.

I did mean to bring Hidden on monday, i'll bring it next time I see.

I felt similiarly about A Prophet, it was good but I didn't feel anything about it was amazing to deserve the reviews it got. I'd say Romanzo Criminale is better, which is pretty similiar and got nowhere near as good write-ups.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
Saw La Classe a couple of years ago, well worth a watch- it provides a social commentary of the racial problems which can be experienced in french education.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What's that film about a french synchronised swimming team, came out about 2 years ago? Cannot recall the title but it was very good.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here