Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Bit late, but I you are still looking for some French movie fixes, try also:

Le Diner Du Cons (sp?)...which I THINK saw Canto a's screen debut!

An extremely funny slapstick style film - highly recommended.

Cantona not in it, though - are you thinking of "Le bonheur est dans le pré"?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Ok everyone should watch The Wages of Fear. Holy moley, an immaculate film of deep tensions. It's just the simple tale of men desperate for money transporting an explosive nitroglycerine across the winding and hilly roads of south America. It's so bloody nervewracking despite it just being men sweating in cabs and watching out for the potholes that might end them all.
It kinds of sounds like a combination of Speed and a double-episode of Diagnosis Murder, but it's done by Herni Georges Clouzot, whose work is visually strange and intense at times. Buddy brilliant.

Didn't we turn that into "Hell Drivers" made about 1957, which starred Stanley Baker, a very early Patrick McGoohan as the bad Irishman, Sid James in a serious part, and - I think - Sean Connery? Get's shown occasionally on TV.

A French film I was shown in school about 1965 had a weird theme where someone goes forward in time and sees himself being killed or something. It was really wird, anyone had any idea what it was?

We saw it dounble-headed with a Pirelli promotional film featuring a blond in a sports car, being all about 17 at the time, that rather got more attention. Spencer Davis Group provided the sound-track with "Keep On Running", a number that brings back the image of a blond every time I hear it.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Ok everyone should watch The Wages of Fear. Holy moley, an immaculate film of deep tensions. It's just the simple tale of men desperate for money transporting an explosive nitroglycerine across the winding and hilly roads of south America. It's so bloody nervewracking despite it just being men sweating in cabs and watching out for the potholes that might end them all.
It kinds of sounds like a combination of Speed and a double-episode of Diagnosis Murder, but it's done by Herni Georges Clouzot, whose work is visually strange and intense at times. Buddy brilliant.

Didn't we turn that into "Hell Drivers" made about 1957, which starred Stanley Baker, a very early Patrick McGoohan as the bad Irishman, Sid James in a serious part, and - I think - Sean Connery? Get's shown occasionally on TV.

That's a different truck-driving film.

Wages of Fear was remade as "Violent Road" in the 50s, which I haven't seen, but which is by all accounts pretty piss-poor.

Then it was remade again in the late 70s as "Sorceror" with Roy Scheider, who was then a sizeable star because of Jaws. For a remake that one isn't too shabby, although not in the same class as the original. Tangerine Dream did the soundtrack.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Saw that at the Dome with Asian Dub Foundation providing a live soundtrack for the festival a few years back. Absolutely amazing.

Ditto at the Hackney Empire.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Saw that at the Dome with Asian Dub Foundation providing a live soundtrack for the festival a few years back. Absolutely amazing.

I saw Run Lola Run with a live soundtrack by The Bays. Not as good, in fact it was quite dull. The Bays are very over rated in my opinion.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Irreversible - if you can get past the overdone hype of certain aspects of this film it is both shocking and incredible in the same.

La Haine - you've probably seen it but a superb piece of massive cultural significance for the youth culture uprising in late 80's early 90's Paris.

Love me if you dare

MicMacs

Etc....

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I watched I've Loved You So Long last night - can heartily recommend. Wonderfully made film

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Watched The Beat That My Heaty Skipped the other day. Not sure what to make of it really but it ended with me feeling quite flat.

Paris is my favourite so far.

zeemeeuw

Apr 8, 2006
Somerset
That reminds me ... I watched Irreversible based on the recommendations in this thread. Apart from the fact that the camera work was giving me motion sickness ... I really had to turn it off when it got to the fire extinguisher scene. I would avoid, unless you have a strong stomach.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here