Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

French film

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Watched The Beat That My Heaty Skipped the other day. Not sure what to make of it really but it ended with me feeling quite flat.

Paris is my favourite so far.

Have you seen Hidden yet?

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Diva - one of the most stylish and quirky films you could ever wish to see. Triller, romance, comedy all rolled into one. Made in the 80s and I've not seen it for a decade or so but I suspect it will have aged well despite many subsequent pale imitations.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Diva - one of the most stylish and quirky films you could ever wish to see. Triller, romance, comedy all rolled into one. Made in the 80s and I've not seen it for a decade or so but I suspect it will have aged well despite many subsequent pale imitations.

It still stands up. Subway still worth a look too.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Hidden - Not quite sure what to make of it to be honest. Tell No One is a far better film IMO. Found it ever so slightly soulless, though that it probably deliberate.

THAT bit did come as rather a shock!

Hmm, yeah, I dunno. Was expecting more from the end but again I think you are meant to think there is something more sinister going on than there actually is.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
HANG ON! Has no one mentioned the Three Colours Trilogy yet? They are regarded as classics. Blue and Red (sorry, Bleu et Rouge) are both brilliant, and White is slightly less good, but a fantastic trilogy worth getting hold of.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Maybe a bit obvious but can't believe no-one has mentioned Depardieu in Jean De Florette and its sequel Manon De Source or Cyrano.

First French film I remember seeing was Depardieu again in Trop Belle Pour Toi at the Lumiere in the West End!

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Maybe a bit obvious but can't believe no-one has mentioned Depardieu in Jean De Florette and its sequel Manon De Source or Cyrano.

First French film I remember seeing was Depardieu again in Trop Belle Pour Toi at the Lumiere in the West End!

A cultured Bluenose? Whatever next? :thumbsup:

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Hidden - Not quite sure what to make of it to be honest. Tell No One is a far better film IMO. Found it ever so slightly soulless, though that it probably deliberate.

THAT bit did come as rather a shock!

Hmm, yeah, I dunno. Was expecting more from the end but again I think you are meant to think there is something more sinister going on than there actually is.

Soulless is a good description - I think he tend to make grand points in his films, so the focus is elsewhere, rather than on plot. Sometimes he gets both supremely spot-on - this being a French thread, I won't bang on again about Funny Games as it's in German, but he did make The Piano Teacher (I think it may be in German but Isabelle Hupbert's in it) which is tremendous, and Time of the Wolf, thought-provoking at best but worth a look.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Not sure if it's come out in the UK yet but I saw "Serge Gainsbourg - vie héroique" at the weekend.

Was really looking forward to it as Gainsbourg is a bit of legend in my book but it was a touch too surreal for a biopic - 6.3/10.

However, it must be said that Laetitia Casta playing Brigitte Bardot was worth the admission price on its own :love: - 10/10.

It was good to see that most of the film was about his young life rather than the end where he had become a leering, old drunk...as in this legendary clip from French TV with Whitney Houston!

[yt]bMdXi6f5KRg[/yt]

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
It was good to see that most of the film was about his young life rather than the end where he had become a leering, old drunk...as in this legendary clip from French TV with Whitney Houston!

[yt]bMdXi6f5KRg[/yt]

I completely forgot about that clip - brilliant

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I finally got round to watching water lilies on sky plus.

However, the last few minutes were cut off. Anyone care to let me know what happens after? (I got to the part where Floriane and Marie had kissed, Florianne went back to the party, Marie got in the swimming pool, then Anne jumped in. Florianne was dancing as the music was starting to build).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Anyone watched Cine Moi yet? It's the channel on Sky and Virgin devoted to French film. I watched a film last week that was so crap that I've forgotten its name already, but there's more promising stuff on it.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Can't believe that no-one's mentioned the films by Claude Chabrol. Probably one of the greatest French film directors ever!
He was called the Alfred Hitchcock of France and my favourite is a bit old but still brilliant, called Le Boucher (The Butcher).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here