Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

REMF Brighton Marathon Team - We Are In

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Actually, no. It sounds harsh but in this PARTICULAR instance, REMF should not be filling marathon places by offering them to NSC members and only later put the net out wider.

I don't want a binfest nor do I want to take away the achievement of getting REMF registered for charity places in the 2011 Brighton Marathon. It's marvellous news.

But.......and it is important to repeat this.....if you are a charity who has been allocated marathon places, then you don't start filling those places by asking your friends whether they fancy a 26 mile run. No matter how good those friends or how dedicated they are to your cause.

Instead, you plan a strategy aimed at delivering the maximum return for those gold bond places. You do this by setting a minimum amount of sponsorship for each place and you advertise these spaces amongst the running community. There is no reason to exclude people from, say, NSC (in fact you welcome anyone prepared to run on their own behalf but in support of REMF) but you don't give them priority.

It would be very sensible to promote REMF's involvement in the 2011 Marathon on the REMF website, right now - not least because the forthcoming Memorial Match brings more visitors to the site. But until a sensible strategy has been worked out, you ask for emailed expressions of interest only.

I'll bet there are people on NSC who know about gold bond places and charity status for marathons. We should talk to them. But not right here, right now.

:clap:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
All good points by Roz that will and would have been put into action. Anyway this is not my bag. Can I ask someone to nominate themselves to be in charge of the REMF marathon team and explore all avenues and select the team. I would suggest kinky gerbils who is running for the REMF and is an ace marathon runner.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My doctor told me that. As long as the run doesn't end up killing, all good.

It depends on your outlook. A fatal heart attack or running under a bus could be seen as a bonus whilst in a state of depression?

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Let us not start suggesting anyone for anything right now. Let alone who might take charge of REMF's strategy for the 2011 marathon. This is something for REMF to work on as an organising group - like with the Eatons too.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Let us not start suggesting anyone for anything right now. Let alone who might take charge of REMF's strategy for the 2011 marathon. This is something for REMF to work on as an organising group - like with the Eatons too.

Agreed Roz.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Roz is spot on. The REMF marathon team can be discussed and arranged at the public meeting I will arrange to discuss the planning, orgaising and fund raising for REMF 10.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Well having read through all I'm somewhat dismayed that this would simply become about the money.

Who's to say that there aren't some NSC members who could raise you what you want for your "gold bonds". The suggestion that none of the bond tickets should go to any NSC members is somewhat trite and lofty.

I know you want to raise as much as you can for the REMF but don't exclude anyone. Which is what many of you "uber fundraisers" who've "done it all before" have just done.

Personally I'm going not going to be a part of this now, and that makes me sad. I'll go register on my own.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well having read through all I'm somewhat dismayed that this would simply become about the money.

Who's to say that there aren't some NSC members who could raise you what you want for your "gold bonds". The suggestion that none of the bond tickets should go to any NSC members is somewhat trite and lofty.

I know you want to raise as much as you can for the REMF but don't exclude anyone. Which is what many of you "uber fundraisers" who've "done it all before" have just done.

Personally I'm going not going to be a part of this now, and that makes me sad. I'll go register on my own.
With the greatest respect, I think you're missing the point, Justine:

The point being that NSCers are more likely to raise money for REMF by simply applying directly themselves. There are people on here who are suitably inspired to run, will apply directly and *then* choose to run for REMF. They may all end up posting on here asking for sponsorship, and there is a likelihood that they will share friends, who will then have to sponsor 2 runners at a tenner each rather than one runner at £20. This is what is meant by cannibalising donations, which obviously should be avoided if you are going to maximise donations from your gold bold spots.

Of course, there's nothing to stop REMF then affording these NSC runners whatever back-up they will provide to their gold bond runners, but the gold bond places need to go to people who simply want to run a marathon and are looking for a charity to give them a place, in return for a guaranteed amount raised.

cpfc remf captain

Jul 6, 2003
I agree with tedebear mostly. Personally would much rather have brighton or palace fans taking up the bond spaces rather than nobodies who have nothing to do with REMF just because they want to run a marathon.
Aslong as REMF is going to benefit then great im prepared to do it.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
With the greatest respect, I think you're missing the point, Justine:

I don't think I did miss the point Si., I was just expressing my dismay that it would become an event to maximse income by people who have nothing to do with us, rather than understand we mightn't raise as much but at least it is us doing it together.

I'd be prouder of the money raised if it was us doing it together (some of us as gold bond runners and some of us not), rather than someone I've never met.

Sorry just my view!

Anyway when you have all stopped bickering I would like you to consider my offer to run for REMF. I have been mulling over the possibilities of running it and feel that this would be the most appropriate charity for me to run for.

I also feel that it may not be a bad thing having people off NSC run the marathon. Of course it should not be a closed shop but the view that non-NSC'rs will raise more money than posters on the message board who have a little-great understanding of the charity may be a tad off the mark. However I do think there should be one person to grab publicity, i.e a few of the better known posters on here (Tank,Harty), that can grab an article in the Argus and get more sponsorship.

Anyway what ever you decide to do good luck and remember you have a long time to sort it out and get it right.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
So, what was the upshot 10 months on, and 1 month before the race?

Are there going to be REMF "gold bond" runners?

Did it all come together?

Is US running the marathon, which I'm sure i saw on a thread on the main board a while back?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The REMF charity spaces have been transferred to the 2012 Brighton Marathon and details of how to claim one will come out before the end of 2011. I am running the team now and I have 5 confirmed runners for the REMF who will be given a pack including a t shirt to run in and a welcome and thanks letter from the Eatons.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The REMF charity spaces have been transferred to the 2012 Brighton Marathon and details of how to claim one will come out before the end of 2011. I am running the team now and I have 5 confirmed runners for the REMF who will be given a pack including a t shirt to run in and a welcome and thanks letter from the Eatons.

I know you're going to think I'm picking on you, but I'm not, I'm really not.

Why couldn't there have been REMF runners in 2011 AND 2012? Has an opportunity been missed here, especially as we are in "10th anniversary" territory. Wouldn't it have been massively symbolic and profile-raising to have REMF runners in the Brighton Marathon this year, of all years?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Bozza, will do. I will get onto it now.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here