Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am sorry to bore you, please skip this if not interested

Regarding the thread that was recently closed:

A few things:

1. The criticism that is flying about is NOT aimed at Gareth

2. The criticism is NOT aimed at Brett

The whole point about the fund was it was set up following 9/11 to raise funds for Underpriviledged ( SP?) kids in New York to enable them to enjoy the game in teh name of Robert who died on 9/11 and posted on here as Ricky Marlowe's Hairpiece. 99% of that squad had never heard of Robert, never met him, he lived a very priviledged and exciting life in the financial sector in New York. Out of his death came the fund and Gareth has driven this from the early days. The £70k odd has gone to providing such things as kits/tracksuits/ goals/balls/ you name it for local and far away places, there are links with Africa - Fat Boy Slim.

That is what this is about.

People who play for the REMF do so to raise money for the fund - that is the primary aim. It is not for self gratification or "too look good with my mates", it should be a honour to play - FFS one ex footballer travels 5000 miles to play!!!

Now in the last couple of years I could relate stories about people being asked to help with the organisation on the night, putting out tables, helping with programmes etc and some people refusing as they were "here to play"! We are all in this together. It is up to all of us to do our bit, NOT JUST GARETH, BRETT, AL AND KAY(apologies if I have missed anyone off).

Next year will be a big one..the fund is such that it really does require full time people. We need to set out a group of people and actions they are prepared to do, and we need to start planning NOW! Publicity, photos, flyers, team, officials, programmes, advertising, where we will play ( if it is Falmer that will have its own problems) the PA, I could go on.

Whoever on here and outside wants to devote time to assisting the fund should let Gareth know as soon as possible. People are complaining that things are left to the last minute, well now is the chance to put that right.

Finally, thanks to the likes of Gareth, this fund grows ever stronger and is a credit to the supporters of Brighton and Hove Albion and Crystal Palace. Without you the fund would have ceased many years ago and to the players I would say this....when you run out to Good Old Sussex By The Sea and stand in a minutes silence, spare a thought for Doug and Barbara Eaton. This is in remembrance of their son and why we are doing all of this year after year.

Enough now. Enjoy the night, come along, spend money, buy the raffle prizes and most of all booooo Pete in goal!!!!

:lol:

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Telling players what to think during the minute silence is so patronising, how could anyone NOT think about that tragedy during the minutes silence/walking out to GOSBTS?! Agree about people not being there to look good with their mates given that, as discussed previously, very few of the team are actually close mates!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Last edited:

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Just skimmed over the closed thread and it seems that the whole thing is actually a compliment to the hard work of everyone over the years. All the issues are pretty much about how the charity has grown and how it can build on that success in the future.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Telling players what to think during the minute silence is so patronising, how could anyone NOT think about that tragedy during the minutes silence/walking out to GOSBTS?! Agree about people not being there to look good with their mates given that, as discussed previously, very few of the team are actually close mates!

i didnt mean it to be patronising at all. if it came over like that i apologise

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Dave the GAFFER X Always a LEG-END

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
With anything like this there will be mistakes, and things which could have been done better. But I wish the people who have (constructive) criticisms would keep it PMs rather than giving all the moaners another excuse.

Anyone can see the people running the REMF stuff are doing their best (and, I think most people would agree, a brilliant job). It's a fantastic organisation and the games are always a corking night out. Keep right on :)

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
With anything like this there will be mistakes, and things which could have been done better. But I wish the people who have (constructive) criticisms would keep it PMs rather than giving all the moaners another excuse.

Anyone can see the people running the REMF stuff are doing their best (and, I think most people would agree, a brilliant job). It's a fantastic organisation and the games are always a corking night out. Keep right on :)

Amen to that.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Spot on. Really disappointing that people felt the need to air what were CLEARLY personal issues in public. There was no need to do that to the charity.

Lush

Mods' Pet
My only two pennorth is please let no-one be under any illusions that the REMF match is anymore than a few people sending e mails and trying to get things done and organised. There is no committee. There is no you as in you need to do this and you need to do that. The only way things will get done is if someone offers to do them. It really is that fragile.

Obviously it would be great if there was a 'committee' to discuss things, allocate tasks, decide on the best way of doing things. But there isn't.

Luckily thanks to the efforts of a few individuals (and I don't include myself here, all I do is turn up and take money :smile:) it runs along, makes money and everyone has a good time, but let's manage expectations here.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I was not sure whether to post or not as " battle weary " springs to mind.

Kay is right. The REMF is an organisation with a few souls organising it as best they can. They are not professional fund raisers. They are not professional charity organisers. They are people who devote their time for free and bloody well do as well as they can.

The REMF came into being after 9/11 and the first match and response was fabulous. It was probably the single most special event I have ever been involved in but REMF 8 came close. I am sure many people would agree.

I honestly do not think anyone involved does it as an ego trip, not the organisers, not the team, no one.

The fact it has kept going for 9 games is fabulous as it could have expired after REMF 1 very easily. The following games it was hard to keep the momentum going. It trotted along and raised some money every game but after REMF 4 it could well have folded and some people stated it should.

It is a testiment to people's resolve that the fund carried on growing. It started off with a blinding light but that momentum was extremely to maintain after REMF 1 and 9/11.

I think the following matches could be considered low key but we always made a profit and people pitched in with a few other fund raising events during the year.

Tony Langridge took hold of the Golf day in 2007 and raised the profits from a group of lads playing Golf and raising £ 100 for the fund to a much respected event raising in excess of £ 1000 profit for the last 3 years.

REMF 8 was a success beyond anyone's wildest imagination raising £ 7000 and a lot of this was down to Brett Mendoza lets make no bones about that.

Their is no " committee ". There are a handful of people doing their level best to make the event a success. It is in the spotlight for a month before each game but I can honestly say I have had a handful of offers of help over the last 8 games from anyone on NSC.

The game happens, we raise as much money as we can and for 99% of NSC it is off the radar for another year.

I personally think the REMF is the best thing that has ever come out of NSC. As having the honour of being the spokesman for this I suppose I take offence to all the criticisms over the last week but I am just a cog in the wheel. I do not think the fund in general deserves the harsh comments made but all constructive comments and ideas for the future will be embraced.

The fund has raised £ 75000 and helped hundreds and hundreds of kids across the World. It has the accolade of Sussex charity of the year which itself was hard fought after being shortlisted four times.

To hear it being referred to as a " cottage industry ", " back of a fag packet " and " a shambles " is very very sad. The comments have been very abrasive and hurt a lot of people.

It is an amateur organisation as we are amateurs doing our best.

I just ask people to cut us some slack, support REMF 9 and come to the meeting arranged to discuss how we can make it even better.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Couldnt have put it better myself Gareth. Alot of what REMF has become is down to you along with a few others and that is something you should feel very proud about. I think now would be the perfect time to draw a line under all these 'constructive' posts and get behind making REMF 9 as good as last year!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Just a 'casual' observation.

I have nothing against Lewes FC but why can't the annual match be held where maybe more people would be able/likely to attend?

Withdean, Whitehawk etc?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just a 'casual' observation.

I have nothing against Lewes FC but why can't the annual match be held where maybe more people would be able/likely to attend?

Withdean, Whitehawk etc?

Think the problem with Withdean is it needs to be after the last Albion game so too late in the season.

It has been played there before however so I may be wrong.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
We played at Withdean for 3 years and ir was , well " lacking in atmosphere ". much as usual really. I think the idea of holding future events somewhere else like Brett said is worth looking at but Lewes FC thanks to Al are fantastic hosts.

REMF 1 - Southwick
REMF 2 - Withdean
REMF 3 - Withdean
REMF 4- Withdean
REMF 5 - Southwick
REMF 6 - Lewes
REMF 7 - Lewes
REMF 8 - Lewes
REMF 9 - Lewes

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Think the problem with Withdean is it needs to be after the last Albion game so too late in the season.

It has been played there before however so I may be wrong.

I think the reason it doesnt get played at Withers is because its too big for the event.

Lewes is the right size, couldnt be closer to the station, and they are very hspitable to the REMF.

Mayb it could be played around Sussex, but I think Lewes is just fine!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here