Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

REMF 2010 - it's organisation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Having read the umpteen threads on here over the last few weeks can I please offer some constructive criticism?

Prizes

Is it not possible to tout round for prizes a lot earlier? It seems that the efforts were mainly garnered in the last few weeks and come down as ever to signed shirts. Yes, I know about the hard hat tour and Gully's Girl dance thing but they too were last minute.

How about going through each and every Friends of Albion business person and tap them for prizes? And do it at least 6 months before and keep tapping/reminding them? In return you can promise them that they can have a photo with Peter Ward after the game (and maybe holding up something advertising their business?)

Plus.....you get more people coming to the game and paying the entrance fees.

What about approaching them and local businesses at least 6 months before about match sponsorship. I reckon you might well get near a four-figure sum just for this if you ask early enough and ask enough people.

How about looking to do the auctions on ebay? I believe that ebay auctions for charities are free or greatly reduced rate. Just plonk it on, set the time, minimum bid and let ebay do all the online tracking.....and you advertise the charity and the goods to the world.

Leafleting

Sorry, but this seems (despite Brett and Alan's very hard work) to be a bloody shambles. Let's get this right. You only just, in April, considered asking the club if you could leaflet outside the ground at the end of April? Why did you not get permission way back just to make absolutely sure?

And even now you're wondering where to leaflet drop (and not co-ordinating who has done what patch). I'm simply staggered that this is now the 9th REMF footie game and yet as late as 6th April someone senior within REMF is asking if anyone has any suggestions on places to hand them out:

North Stand Chat - View Single Post - REMF 2010 - what it's all about, how you can help and links to everything else

As for volunteers, I really don't want to re-open the debate about the REMF team but they HAVE to be the first port of call. And get some sort of commitment from EVERY ONE of the players. Please don't leave it until a week or two before otherwise people tend to make other arrangements.

Surely, you pick your target areas first, calculate how many flyers are needed, how many people are available to hand them out and only then get them printed.

......Don't you?

Genuinely, I really really want the REMF to raise as much money as possible and I don't want to knock all the hard work but it seems to me that it could have been planned earlier and planned more effectively.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Leafleting

Sorry, but this seems (despite Brett and Alan's very hard work) to be a bloody shambles. Let's get this right. You only just, in April, considered asking the club if you could leaflet outside the ground at the end of April? Why did you not get permission way back just to make absolutely sure?

And even now you're wondering where to leaflet drop (and not co-ordinating who has done what patch). I'm simply staggered that this is now the 9th REMF footie game and yet as late as 6th April someone senior within REMF is asking if anyone has any suggestions on places to hand them out:

Its been agreed with Richard Hubbard for tomorrow and 24/4 so its a non issue you raise. Its never been a problem and would not be but its just courteous to let the club now. We have strageic points to distribute the leaflets so again its a non issue.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Surely the only criteria for playing in the team would be how much funds you help to raise and how much help you give i.e. handing out leaflets and that sort of stuff.
If you're not prepared to do the groundwork and helping out then you shouldn't be playing.
The 'honour' of playing should go to those who do most for the REMF.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Its been agreed with Richard Hubbard for tomorrow and 24/4 so its a non issue you raise. Its never been a problem and would not be but its just courteous to let the club now. We have strageic points to distribute the leaflets so again its a non issue.

You're right. It's all a non-issue. The question wasn't asked of the club after the leaflets were printed, and these strategic points to distribute them are all fully manned and no need to ask for volunteers as late as today.

As you were.

Surely the only criteria for playing in the team would be how much funds you help to raise and how much help you give i.e. handing out leaflets and that sort of stuff.
If you're not prepared to do the groundwork and helping out then you shouldn't be playing.

Blimey. It's taken 8 years but I finally agree with you 100%.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Exactly. The whole thing REMF thing does smack of a cottage industry.

I mean I know someone who is running the Brighton marathon and has managed to raise over £600 with a little bit of effort.

Some people cant even raise £60...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My only comment on the organisation, having witnessed more of it this year than before, is how much of it is how much seems to take place via publicly posted posts on NSC.

These can easily be missed or read too late by the intended audience as they slip down the board.

The other issue is that I would imagine these very public organisational discussions could leave a casual reader thinking the whole thing is all a bit 'back of a fag packet', and I'm not sure that is entirely a good thing.

If it would help, I could easily set up an NSC forum for REMF organisational chat for the main protagonists that is hidden to the general masses.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Please chaps. We've been through the sponsorship/who plays thing. This thread isn't about re-opening that wound.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
People are free to PM me at anytime during the year and say " hey Gareth, what can I do to help the next REMF game ? ", however I have had no e mails to that in the last year, oh I lie I had one from Aid the often abused member of REMF who pm's me asking if he could help.

People are free to offer help and ideas anytime they like. Anyway best I step out of this as an organiser I guess this criticises me directly and others and lets not have another binfest as the REMF this year has been dragged through the mud enough as commented before.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
My only comment on the organisation, having witnessed more of it this year than before, is how much of it is how much seems to take place via publicly posted posts on NSC.

These can easily be missed or read too late by the intended audience as they slip down the board.

The other issue is that I would imagine these very public organisational discussions could leave a casual reader thinking the whole thing is all a bit 'back of a fag packet', and I'm not sure that is entirely a good thing.

If it would help, I could easily set up an NSC forum for REMF organisational chat for the main protagonists that is hidden to the general masses.

Spot on, Bozza.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You're right. It's all a non-issue. The question wasn't asked of the club after the leaflets were printed, and these strategic points to distribute them are all fully manned and no need to ask for volunteers as late as today.

As you were.

I don't know what you point is. I got permission from Richard Hebbard BEFORE the flyers were ordered and paid for.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Is the objective this year to destroy all the good work the REMf has done for 9 years and continues to do so ?.

A fag packet, a cottage industry

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
My only comment would be that I think it would be best to get all the prizes, raffles etc sorted before opening them up to NSC and Brighton fans at large.

Looks a bit amatuerish to start something as an auctiont then switch to a raffle.

But a very moot point indeed.

re: flyers. It is pretty irrelevant point. The club has ALWAYS let us flyer outside the ground. Always.

To criticise people for not asking sooner just looks petty.

And ok, some of the planning is done on here. So what? Does it REALLY matter?

I would perhaps suggest that if certain people think the planning would be better served being done privately, the same could also definitely be said for the CRITISICISING and NIT-PICKING from certain posters.

I know which of the two does more harm to the charity - and it isn't people chatting about where best to hand out flyers.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I know REMF gets a lot of stick, and it is no means perfect, but at the end of the day it is made up of volunteers who do things in their spare time and off their own backs. No one gets paid for it. Yes sometimes it looks amaturish, but no one works with REMF full time

From what I think started off as a one off match has turned into an award winning charity that has raised over £70,000.

I see the closed shop thing that people see, and no doubt this could be improved. There are indeed people that do more/less than others involved in REMF but that doesnt mean they are doing a bad job. Working ours, location, family situations all play a part as to how much each member of the REMF team can contribute to it becoming bigger and better.

I agree with a lot of your points Lee, especially with starting things earlier, but there are a lot of factors that need to be sorted before getting the green light to start the next REMF match. The Friends of the Albion thing is something I have never thought of, and if involved next year will certainly be something I suggest we do. Match sponsorship is another great point and should definately be a priority too.

Another thing I think could be a good idea is moving the REMF match to another part of Sussex as it would help spread the road and mean new people can watch the match

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
My only comment would be that I think it would be best to get all the prizes, raffles etc sorted before opening them up to NSC and Brighton fans at large.

Looks a bit amatuerish to start something as an auctiont then switch to a raffle.

But a very moot point indeed.

What do i do then, i get offered prizes all the time, i got offered more today. I look amaturish, but I dont work on REMF full time, when it comes to it, I put my all into it, maybe too much as it is turning out to be. I thought auction would raise loads, but it turns out a raffle works better. I turn it into a raffle and then get flamed for it.

I cant win, I was doing what I thought was best, it doesnt always work, i learn from the mistakes. If I carry on next year I will look to be more professional in what I do. It is hard to put loads of effort into something only for it to be put down within minutes...

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I know REMF gets a lot of stick, and it is no means perfect, but at the end of the day it is made up of volunteers who do things in their spare time and off their own backs. No one gets paid for it. Yes sometimes it looks amaturish, but no one works with REMF full time

From what I think started off as a one off match has turned into an award winning charity that has raised over £70,000.

Exact-a-RUDDY-mundo. People do their best and it raises loads of cash.

I see the closed shop thing that people see, and no doubt this could be improved.

I just don't see it. I had never been involved up until about four years ago. I asked, turned up to a friendly match, got picked. Since then plenty of new players have come and gone. Some people, like yourself, have got more involved in the planning etc, some people have dropped off.

There are indeed people that do more/less than others involved in REMF but that doesnt mean they are doing a bad job. Working hours, location, family situations all play a part as to how much each member of the REMF team can contribute to it becoming bigger and better.

Exactly. As Brett says, not everyone CAN hand out flyers at Withdean. It does not mean they don't care and are not bothered though.

Some people need to just stop moaning.

Easy solution to those kicking off. If you care THAT much and have so many ideas, just ask to get involved in the future. I can promise you that your offer won't be turned down.

It is very easy to criticise from afar but people like Brett and Gareth and others do a great job in their SPARE TIME.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake

...but which of the main protagonists would be allowed exclusive entry to the forum?
For what it's worth, in my little world it seems US, Brett and the others are doing a bloody good job and deserve a bit more credit as all this criticism cannot help but be taken personally by them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here