Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which posters should play in the NEXT REMF game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
As with most things, our not-so-learned friend Withdean Wanderer doesn't have much of a clue.

I can only comment on the background to the questions I asked, but my impression is that others asking questions were doing it for a very similar reason.

In short: there was an interest in understanding the selection process of the Albion's REMF team. This question arose as, this year, there seemed to be two strange omissions. One was the biggest fundraiser from last year, the other seems to be a player very highly rated by all who have played with him and/or seen him play. The manager - Andy, REMF dude - Gareth and chap-closely involved - Richie have since explained how the primary selection criteria is having played REMF football before due to the need for continuity, particularly of in-squad camaraderie. Many, who believed the goal was to raise as much money as possible, were probably slightly surprised about this but at least all now know.

As far as I'm concerned that since explanations have been given, that debate is over and all should now move on to try to raise as much from this year's game as is possible.

So, you've made all the points that I've made above, but decided to have a pop at me anyway.

Nice one, hope you feel gratified. :thumbsup:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Who said you're meant to get into the REMF team after impressing in a warm-up game? It was cited as one example of the REMF team not being a 'closed' shop.

See - this was all debated last week, and it was agreed to knock it on the head until after the match.

You could even argue the fairness of you being able to organise a warm-up game with the mates that only you 'got-together' if you wanted, and that the chance to impress is in fact a 'closed-shop' as well.

But it's pointless, because the team has been picked and justified for this year. Start worrying about next year after this years event, rather than hindering the name of the charity, as well as many of the players and the management, simply in order to make a point that your friend should be in the team.

:thumbsup:

Rather unfair to suggest that Conboy is any way 'hindering the name of the charity' whatever that means.

Just out of interest, what is your link to the REMF team? I assume you are speaking from an impartial perspective or are you friends with a certain amount of players?

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Rather unfair to suggest that Conboy is any way 'hindering the name of the charity' whatever that means.

Just out of interest, what is your link to the REMF team? I assume you are speaking from an impartial perspective or are you friends with a certain amount of players?

Just think he's in the clique..

Jimmy Grimble

was the game you organised against the REMF X1 understood to be a "selection" type game, whereby if you played well against the REMF lot, you would be included in the squad, or was it a warm up game in the same way as the REMF would play against XYZ Rovers?

It was understood to be a friendly game. The people who played are not a team. We are a bunch of posters from NSC (some of whom - shock horror - are also friends in real life, which is why I helped to arrange it).

It was not classified as a 'selection type' game or a game against a 'XYZ Rovers'. It was simply NSC'ers (all Brighton fans except one player) against REMF.

If it was against an 'X Rovers' why would it matter anyway? If the 'impress and you'll play' thing is going to be held-up, surely if someone impresses and is a Brighton fan in a warm-up game, they could be asked to play?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So, you've made all the points that I've made above, but decided to have a pop at me anyway.

Nice one, hope you feel gratified. :thumbsup:

Are you referring to a post I made that was so very obviously posted at the same time as yours? I think you are.

And that, regardless, your whole gist seems to be that people were sticking up for friends which is nothing similar to my post at all.

Do you do this 'thick' act just for laughs?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate

Not Conboy, but petty squabbling in general - this thread included, aren't exactly 'selling' the charity are they.

I know a few of the players, and the manager.

That doesn't mean I agree with how the team has been picked.

It just means I've seen first hand that people (players, and organisers) are understandably upset that the name of the REMF keeps being bashed about in threads arguing the toss about something that has been clarified, for now at least, which can be looked at again in a productive manner once this years game has taken place.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It was understood to be a friendly game. The people who played are not a team. We are a bunch of posters from NSC (some of whom - shock horror - are also friends in real life, which is why I helped to arrange it).

It was not classified as a 'selection type' game or a game against a 'XYZ Rovers'. It was simply NSC'ers (all Brighton fans except one player) against REMF.

If it was against an 'X Rovers' why would it matter anyway? If the 'impress and you'll play' thing is going to be held-up, surely if someone impresses and is a Brighton fan in a warm-up game, they could be asked to play?

totally agree, however in the past, these games have never been..." if you play well then you will play on the day" or at least the couple of years I was involved it wasnt.....we had a nucleus of 20 players and that was it.

BTW As I am the PA for the night, am I in the clique?

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
totally agree, however in the past, these games have never been..." if you play well then you will play on the day" or at least the couple of years I was involved it wasnt.....we had a nucleus of 20 players and that was it.

BTW As I am the PA for the night, am I in the clique?

Is your picture on the 'Crocs on Tour' website?

If so, then YES..

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
sorry chaps - just thought I'd try and make a valid point that the REMF would be benefitted if people gave it a rest and worried about selection next year.

Going to stay out it now as I can't be arsed to take the abuse simply for daring to suggest people focus on raising money for this months game rather than squabbling about who is in the team.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Like last time I'm closing this now as one of our beloved village idiots is trying to stir things up which had since been left behind.

... (plus a handful of others e.g. Bry) who seem to be determined to make an issue out of things
Good grief!

Bry Nylon making an ISSUE out of things? By posting a bit of whimsy about a bunch of ancient never-beens possibly turning out with zimmer frames?

Get a grip. Or a sense of humour.

Edit ... Sorry, Bozza, I hadn't noticed that the thread had been locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here