Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

REMF - My Experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
With all the hoo har being written of late I wanted to comment about my experience. As the other thread is closed, this will have to do.
I did not play in the first game. In fact, I only got involved four years ago. I didn't know anyone on the team - other than in a geeky NSC way. I turned up to a couple of friendlies not expecting a game. Everyone was welcoming, not at all cliquey, and since then I have managed to stay involved.
Some have stopped playing, some new people have got involved, but the welcoming nature remains. I don't see most of the team outside of the odd hello at Withdean, but when you do, everyone involved greets you with a heart smile.
Being a Brighton fan has provided us all with some fantastic experiences. But for me, nothing competes with the REMF.
Not only has it raised £70,00 plus for brilliant causes, but it has brought together a lot of people who otherwise would not have met.
The work done by people like Uncle Spielberg, The Large One, Mendoza et al for me makes me as proud to be a Brighton fan as anything Murray, Zamora et al could manage.
For me, the REMF is about setting aside petty squables to promote footballing inclusion. Yes, first and foremost to raise cash, but also to do so in a manner befitting of such a worthy cause.
I just think it is important we never lose sight of that.
A charity yes, but in a very Albion way.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I thought it has raised more than £70,00

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Oh, and this is not a way of kick-starting the selection row.
The very ethos is to help provide football for people regardless of wealth or ability.
And it is something which the REMF has managed superbly.
The charity is a huge success. An AWARD winning one at that.
Dare I suggest anyone with fresh ideas offer them in a polite, adult, constuctive manner.
In my albeit limited experience the excellent organisational committe will always listen.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why don't we have two different teams for each half?

Double the number of people allowed and (hopefully) double the sponsorship.

Maybe everybody who raises money should get at least some time on the pitch. The money raising thing is the important thing. Maybe some people are fooled into thinking that anybody REALLY gives a f*** about the players or the standard of football on display, but that's due to the football being filmed and given it undue spin as being of any worth whatsoever. Face it, you wouldn't cross the road to watch that game if it wasn't for the REMF. Any squabbling re team selection is beneath being pathetic.

Maybe make both teams play in fancy dress this year, dressed as seagulls or eagles, complete with bird heads. Or David Brent style emu suits. Now that would be a laugh and might cut some of the inflated egos down to size :lol:

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Maybe make both teams play in fancy dress this year, dressed as seagulls or eagles, complete with bird heads. Or David Brent style emu suits. Now that would be a laugh and might cut some of the inflated egos down to size :lol:

:clap2: Make it happen!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The money raising thing is the important thing. Maybe some people are fooled into thinking that anybody REALLY gives a f*** about the players or the standard of football on display, but that's due to the football being filmed and given it undue spin as being of any worth whatsoever. Face it, you wouldn't cross the road to watch that game if it wasn't for the REMF. Any squabbling re team selection is beneath being pathetic.

Absolutely correct.

Having played in the first game with Brovian, Stumpy Tim, Granny Weatherwax, Uncle Speilberg, etc., it was all about acknowledging the life of Robert Eaton, a NSC contributor, and doing something practical about it to benefit the lives of others.

It'll be a sad day if the focus of REMF ever changes into being merely a vehicle for individual egos.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Maybe in a 'Shirt of Hurt' type theme, teams should swap shirts BEFORE the game and Brighton supporters play in Palace shirts and Palace supporters play in Albion shirts?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Absolutely correct.

Having played in the first game with Brovian, Stumpy Tim, Granny Weatherwax, Uncle Speilberg, etc., it was all about acknowledging the life of Robert Eaton, a NSC contributor, and doing something practical about it to benefit the lives of others.

It'll be a sad day if the focus of REMF ever changes into being merely a vehicle for individual egos.

I can assure you that not one of those selected treat this game as an ego boost. Far from it. If anything I think the majority find the experience very humbling, which is perhaps why the accusations thrown round on here lately have stung so.

I would also question why this has suddenly become so much of an issue. In previous years each player was merely expected to get one sponsor and pay a match fee. Nobody complained then. This year will probably be the second or third BEST in terms of team fundraising.

Last edited:

I didnt read most of the 'REMFgate' thread because it seemed a bit silly. The point is, as has been said already, to raise money and it has done so admirably.
Every one who has been involved should be very proud of their efforts and those of you who have put time in to arrange and organise things deserve the largest praise.
So lets all support this latest effort and be proud that in the name of Mr Eaton and Brighton and Hove Albion we have all in whatever small way made a difference.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I didnt read most of the 'REMFgate' thread because it seemed a bit silly. The point is, as has been said already, to raise money and it has done so admirably.
Every one who has been involved should be very proud of their efforts and those of you who have put time in to arrange and organise things deserve the largest praise.
So lets all support this latest effort and be proud that in the name of Mr Eaton and Brighton and Hove Albion we have all in whatever small way made a difference.

Amen to that.

Some of the sniping elsewhere has been not much short of embarrassing.

Lets just focus on making this year's event a success.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Maybe in a 'Shirt of Hurt' type theme, teams should swap shirts BEFORE the game and Brighton supporters play in Palace shirts and Palace supporters play in Albion shirts?

Now that is a magnificent idea and could only succeed in...

1. Massively raising the profile of the event.
2. Boosting sponsorship funds.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Nice effort to get it all going again, Richie.

I'm not dragging it up again but that is horseshit.

What is? The fact quite a lot of the players have been upset by people on here making out we are a bunch of egomaniacs who don't give a toss? As soneone who DOES feel honoured to play, who DOES appreciate the reasons behind the game and who DOES try and do as much as I can to make the night a success AND raise money, I can promise you the binnery on here HAS hurt. Especially coming as it does from people who do not know me or the peopke they are so quick to lay into.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
What is? The fact quite a lot of the players have been upset by people on here making out we are a bunch of egomaniacs who don't give a toss? As soneone who DOES feel honoured to play, who DOES appreciate the reasons behind the game and who DOES try and do as much as I can to make the night a success AND raise money, I can promise you the binnery on here HAS hurt. Especially coming as it does from people who do not know me or the peopke they are so quick to lay into.
I'll have to answer that. Yes, I used the words 'ego trip' to describe the current REMF squad and whilst I accept it was a bit of a general accusation and probably not 100% accurate - by and large I stand by that comment. (And I notice that some of my fellow REMF1 veterans have similar views).

And it's precisely because I/we DON'T know any of you that I made it. Before the last game all I read about on here were comments from people saying how much they were looking forward to playing with Wardie in front of a big crowd at the Dripping Pan, then afterwards people were saying how much they enjoyed the experience and where they went for breakfast. All fair enough, and as I said in another thread (started by Lush) we felt exactly the same way. We were a group of strangers who built up a bond by training together for about two months before the game and, like you say, we knew it was a complete and utter privilige to take part. Playing in that REMF game (although I only played for about twenty minutes and was pretty crap) was THE highlight of my, albeit limited, football 'career'

It's because it IS such a privilege that I feel that squad shouldn't just be an annual reunion of the same old faces. ("Ah, REMF's coming up, yeah, that'll be a laugh, it always is."). Indeed I would say that apart from maybe one or two it should be a bit like a High School Prom - something you only do once. If you've played in a previous game then ideally your place should go to a REMF 'virgin' so that they can enjoy the same experieices that we have.

It won't weaken the team, (if you feel the result is important). A fresh squad every year, training together for two months like we did, will produce a decent team. And without wishing to bring up the sponsorship issue again it also means it won't be the same people asking their same mates to donate to the same charity - again.

All the best for this year.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked

Thank you for your extremely generous donation yesterday, very very kind of you :clap::clap:

Yorkshire-Seagull

Feb 11, 2008
Just a little contribution here.

I'm based in Leeds, so have never had the opportunity to be as involved in a hands-on capacity with REMF as I would like. However, I attended the first four games as a paying spectator, and found it to be a bit disappointing. Yes, the cause is fantastic, and the work that Bozza and NSC do to keep it at the forefront of everyone's minds is amazing. However, the game itself just seems to be a bit 'cliquey', and felt towards the end like it was a members-only group of mates getting the chance to play with Peter Ward, and have their moment of glory. From talking to others at home and away games, it seems like a lot of people feel this way. Indeed, I e-mailed the organiser a couple of years ago to see if I could possibly come to a trial (i'm still a half-decent player...), and simply got a one-word response - "No".

Whilst the headline event of REMF remains such a closed shop to those outside the inner-circle, I feel it will never be as successful as it could (and should) be. So, for now, i'll keep donating from a distance, and wish you all success.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Why not run a few 5 a side games, FA Cup style before picking the squad, and the four best teams get to make up the squad? Or some kind of tournament to see who will represent REMF that year. That adds another sponsership oppertunity and a fair chance for a different team each year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here