The REMF team - selection etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Richie

I am talking about taking an hour out and the gritty job of handing them out at Withdean not taking 50 or so to give to friends.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Fair enough Gareth. Although I would defend some of the team is pointing out quite a few live MILES away and don't have season tickets.

Oh, and the players who are playing now know.

So, if they wanted to / found it easier collecting sponsors that way, they can set their own individual pages up as well.

And as far as how much individuals collect - I think people need to ease off a bit. Yes, some people collected loads last year, some didn't. But some people may work in a small office, some may have LOADS of colleagues. Some may have a small family, some may have a large one. Some may have just done another fundraiser or have recently pestered friends etc for sponsorship, others might not.

Ability to raise the most cash has never, as far as I can remember, been the chief criteria for selection. And I don't believe it ever should be.

It never has been the case and the REMF has managed to raise SHED loads and become a much-loved annual event.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Also, last year, the idea of Wardy and Marlowe having their own donate pages and then a random donator winning a signed item was very clever. I imagine a fair few people probably donated to a mate (or their favourite REMF player), and then also donated to either Ward/Marlowe or both hoping to win an item.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No one will have a pop at anyone who raises £ 50 but I believe it will ultimately raise more. Anyway I will leave it now. No offence intended.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I am kind in an awkward position. I put the idea of individual just giving pages last year and that is that. After speaking to a few people during this season, I got a lot of feedback saying that it maybe better sponsoring the team as a whole - due to feeling bad about sponsoring someone and not someone else. I then suggested doing a team page and most people agreed that it was a good idea. I made the page and money has been made.

We as a team haven't pushed it as hard yet because the squad wasn't announced until today. It feels like I have not done the right thing and it has back fired. Anyway, looks like I have got another £100 in the coffers

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?t=172024

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
No one will have a pop at anyone who raises £ 50 but I believe it will ultimately raise more. Anyway I will leave it now. No offence intended.

I agree people should make the effort. I just think we shouldn't panic about fundraising bearing in mind the team only found out the squad today.

If people find it easier they can set up their own pages. It just helped to have a general one to get things moving before the squad was announced.

Ability to raise the most cash has never, as far as I can remember, been the chief criteria for selection. And I don't believe it ever should be.

Eh? I thought this was a charity event? Isn't raising the most money the whole point? If not then what is? Sorry I'm lost here.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I didn't think selection was based on how much was raised, but being captain was.

Regardless no one should play if they can't raise some money, so it should be individual pages.
Or at the very least, you expect some *effort* from the players, such as handing out flyers before the match at Withers, as Lush suggested.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
And as far as how much individuals collect - I think people need to ease off a bit. Yes, some people collected loads last year, some didn't. But some people may work in a small office, some may have LOADS of colleagues. Some may have a small family, some may have a large one. Some may have just done another fundraiser or have recently pestered friends etc for sponsorship, others might not.

i think that is spot on

from a personal point of view, all of my albion supporting friends have a choice of about 10 members of the squad whom they know and could sponsor, so its a 10% chance that i will recieve their money as a personal sponsorship. outside of that, most of my other friends are students, and when they are having to scrimp and save just to eat once the student loan reaches its end, then stumping up a load of cash for sponsorship isnt going to be on the top of their priorities

everybody involved does their best to help out and raise sponsorship, but some people are going to find it a lot lot easier to raise far more than others, and its not through lack of trying!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am kind in an awkward position. I put the idea of individual just giving pages last year and that is that. After speaking to a few people during this season, I got a lot of feedback saying that it maybe better sponsoring the team as a whole - due to feeling bad about sponsoring someone and not someone else. I then suggested doing a team page and most people agreed that it was a good idea. I made the page and money has been made.

We as a team haven't pushed it as hard yet because the squad wasn't announced until today. It feels like I have not done the right thing and it has back fired. Anyway, looks like I have got another £100 in the coffers

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?t=172024

Don't be daft Brett you are an REMF LEGEND. We are just having a sounding board about the way forward. You have been superb AS ALWAYS. Its only an opinion. The players are allowed to raise as they see fit. There is no directive or dictatorship as that is the exact opposite to the spirit of REMF.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
i think that is spot on

from a personal point of view, all of my albion supporting friends have a choice of about 10 members of the squad whom they know and could sponsor, so its a 10% chance that i will recieve their money as a personal sponsorship. outside of that, most of my other friends are students, and when they are having to scrimp and save just to eat once the student loan reaches its end, then stumping up a load of cash for sponsorship isnt going to be on the top of their priorities

everybody involved does their best to help out and raise sponsorship, but some people are going to find it a lot lot easier to raise far more than others, and its not through lack of trying!

Exactly. Also, most of my mates come to the match, spend a few quid on raffle tickets etc as well.

Others who friends might not be able to make it might sponsor more.

It all goes in the same pot though.

I know Andy (the boss) has had a difficult job selecting the team. Whatever people's thoughts, I suggest they keep in mind that the people who organise it go to a lot of trouble and it is far easier to point out what people are doing wrong than actually do stuff yourself.

It is a great occasion and always raises a lot of cash. We shouldn't lose sight of that.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No one is saying anyone has done anything wrong. We are all just discussing the best way to raise the most amount of money. Thats what we all want.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
i think that is spot on

How is that "spot on"?

You've lost sight of the fact that this football match is all about raising as much money for the REMF, which is NSC's unofficial charity. Really, who plays is of neglible importance as long as we don't get utterly trounced.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have read your comments Simster and agree entirely. Lets stop our silly spats and draw a line under it now. Respect.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Well. In my experience of the day, which admitedly has only been the last four years on the playing side, the majority of the cash raised was done so by entry fees, raffle etc.

Players had the responsibility to, once selected, try and raise as much money as they could and pay about £20 each in additional match fees.

That netted a lot of money, kept the game competitive enough to attract the odd floating punter and contributed to what was always a fantastic atmosphere.

Doing it that way raised about £70,000. In less than a decade.

Last year everyone made a special effort - making use of justgiving etc and raised a load more than usual. Brilliant.

But now people seem to be suggesting that SELECTION should now be based on the ability to raise more cash. Take this to its n'th degree and you could end up with a bunch of 60 year olds with loads of rich friends playing in a game nobody wants to watch.

It has worked just fine ever since the night was started.

I don't see why it needs to be changed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here