Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Monitor problem: what does "out of range 27 KHz - 61 Hz" mean?

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Which version of Windows are you using?
It just means the display settings you are using are not compatible with your monitor..
If a PC restart doesnt fix, go into Safe mode (F8 at start up) (Earlier versions of Windows may have a VGA mode)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
first thing, remove the stick of memory. if you've changed the resolution to one that is too high for the monitor you get a message like that. reseat graphics card and reinstall drivers if it persists.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
F8 as soon as you switch it on.. Just tap it a few times.. No offense to beorhthelm, but I would try this first.. His may be the solution, but a bit drastic before you see if my way works...

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
If the machine boots up to the POST screen and you can see what's on the display, and it only goes bad when Windows has booted up, it's possible the video card or monitor driver file has become corrupted and is defaulting to a very high or low scan rate. I'd reccommend that you load Windows into Safe Mode if you can and then try and uninstall both the video and monitor driver and then reboot the machine.

It could be that your machine is incompatible with the new ram, which has caused a problem on bootup, meaning the driver or driver references have become damaged.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
No offense to beorhthelm, but I would try this first..

first rule: if you make a change and get an error, reverse the change. using F8 + safe mode is usfull for s/w diagnostics, but if you just work around a problem it will come come back to bite you. identify and resolve the root cause.

If I remove the RAM I will just get the beeps again. Windows has been taking too much space as virtual memory.

maybe i missed another thread, but what beeps? (how many, you can tell the fault from them if you look it up). why did you increase the memory in the fist place? what memory do you have before/after the addition of memory? what else have you changed recently?

Last edited:

A year or two ago after several months of the “windows is increasing your virtual memory” messages the pc wouldn’t start up at all. The diagnostic beeps emanating from it was a one second beep followed by a three second silence, repeating indefinitely. It’s a Cybercom Medion model PC MT5, type MED MT 132 with an AMD Duron processor.
I replaced the miserly 256 Mb of RAM with a 1Gb stick which immediately cured the problem. So, when the exact same thing happened again, I added back the original stick of RAM to give a total of 1¼ Gb. I then got the monitor problem, however now when trying to start it up again, I find I am just getting those beeps again, with nothing on the monitor. I have checked that both sticks are firmly seated.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Incompatibility between the old 256 Mb RAM and the 1Gb seems likeliest - I don't understand though why Windows increasing virtual memory would cause problems on bootup when surely it wouldn't be an issue, as Windows has not yet loaded. I seem to recall the recommendation for best performance is to set virtual memort manually to 1.5 times the amount of RAM installed, might be an old myth or no longer relevant.

The POST beeps are another matter - you don't know which BIOS you have on the PC, do you?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
as said, the 256MB isnt compatible with 1GB.

to resolve the memory problem find out what is using the memory, either in task manager or download "process explorer" ( i beleive can be found from MS themselves). i suspect a virus or otherwise some malware thats poorly coded and has a memory leak. might need to run spybot and AV to clean up. or think of anything else you've installed recently that might be set to run all the time. theres no way XP should be out of memory with 1GB, should be about half that from boot up with a browser or two running.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here