Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vintage Video - Aston Villa v Brighton (Sept 1971)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
From Villa Park, these are the goals from our first ever appearance on Match of the Day. It's the oldest colour footage I've found yet of the Albion. Of course, the return match at the Goldstone was the one with Willie Irvine's famous goal.

[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rhEoX69rOBo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rhEoX69rOBo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

I hope this clips brings back memories for some NSCers.

Albion side that day was: Powney, Henderson, Spearritt, Templeman, J Napier, Gall, Lutton, K Napier, Irvine, Murray, O'Sullivan. Sub not used: Duffy.

For more vintage Albion footage, go visit Seagulls TV - Relive the Glory Years of 1976-83

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Superb. Thanks for posting that.
The rarity of the Albion being on telly in those days makes this a collectors item, despite the result. I would have bet money we would have played in blue shorts.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Superb. Thanks for posting that.
The rarity of the Albion being on telly in those days makes this a collectors item, despite the result. I would have bet money we would have played in blue shorts.

The blue shorts were worn for the first time at the return game v Villa that season-the 'Willie irvine match'- which was also on Match of the Day. They were actually part of a training kit. Pat Saward decided changes were needed;both in player selection and look that day. It galvanised the team and the rest is,of course, history.

I'd love to see the blue shorts as part of our first chice kit again.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Glad you enjoyed the video. That packed crowd looks awesome.

By the way, who is this 'Braydon' chap that scored Villa's first goal?

He looks a bit useful judging from all the Villa footage from the 1970s that I've seen....

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
The blue shorts were worn for the first time at the return game v Villa that season-the 'Willie irvine match'- which was also on Match of the Day. They were actually part of a training kit. Pat Saward decided changes were needed;both in player selection and look that day. It galvanised the team and the rest is,of course, history.

I'd love to see the blue shorts as part of our first chice kit again.

I second that - we look like Leeds from the back!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
That was my 1st visit to Villa Park & fell in love with the place, a real 'big' footie ground as Villa were a giant who had slipped from 1st to 3rd div within a couple of years. That was unusual then but seems much more common now.

As mentioned above, Ray Graydon was quite a player with Bristol Rovers & villa and spent some years in mamagement, i believe at Villa, Walsall & Rovers

This was fairly early 71/72 and Albion's start was steady but unspectacular. Tucked in behind the leaders, Albion picked them all off after Xmas to go up as 2nd behind Villa. It was my 1st promotion and still one of my fav seasons with many dramatic late goals and 12 away wins.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Ray Graydon was the first player I ever saw 'dive' at the Goldstone. A year or two before that video I think. I remember the East terrace going bananas and me asking my dad, 'why did he do that' as the east terrace gave him a fair bit of abuse.
God if only I`d known what was to come.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I remember the home game mostly for seeing big Andy Lockhead up close - a real celebrity character at the time and a proper old fashioned centre forward.

IKDRF

May 1, 2009
That was my 1st visit to Villa Park & fell in love with the place, a real 'big' footie ground as Villa were a giant who had slipped from 1st to 3rd div within a couple of years. That was unusual then but seems much more common now.

As mentioned above, Ray Graydon was quite a player with Bristol Rovers & villa and spent some years in mamagement, i believe at Villa, Walsall & Rovers

This was fairly early 71/72 and Albion's start was steady but unspectacular. Tucked in behind the leaders, Albion picked them all off after Xmas to go up as 2nd behind Villa. It was my 1st promotion and still one of my fav seasons with many dramatic late goals and 12 away wins.

I uncovered a newspaper from the summer of 1971 at my Dads house that suggested the Albion might struggle that year! How wrong they were!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I uncovered a newspaper from the summer of 1971 at my Dads house that suggested the Albion might struggle that year! How wrong they were!

Could you scan it in, please? I'm thinking of compiling a video of Albion footage from 1971-72 to 1975-76. That would help set the scene, if it's from the summer of 71.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
The previous season was pat sawards 1st and he struggled to put a team together. We were very boring but, in the last few months, the addition of Bert murray & Willie Irvine saw Albion climb away from danger.

I can understand why Albion were not thought of as likely promotion candidates especially as Villa were the big team and then 2 on the promoted teams from Div 4 also had star quality as in bournemouth with mcDougald & Boyer and Notts County with Tony Hateley.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
The previous season was pat sawards 1st and he struggled to put a team together. We were very boring but, in the last few months, the addition of Bert murray & Willie Irvine saw Albion climb away from danger.

I can understand why Albion were not thought of as likely promotion candidates especially as Villa were the big team and then 2 on the promoted teams from Div 4 also had star quality as in bournemouth with mcDougald & Boyer and Notts County with Tony Hateley.

Thanks for the clip, I sat opposite Barry Davies on the tube on the way home. It was Bertie Lutton's first game on loan from Wolves, and until the next morning I had no idea who he was. I remember Tony Hateley very well and I felt very old when I saw a clip of his GRANDSON playing for Motherwell the other day.

UaeGull

Dec 21, 2007
Great stuff, but I think you'll find our first appearance on "Match of the Day" was the bottom of the table clash we had against Halifax Town during the dreadful winter of 1962/3. Kenneth Wolstenholme was the commentator. It was the only football league match played that day, and we had the 'bright idea' to hire a road-tar melter to unfreeze the pitch. We lost 0-1. There was also a 'friendly played against Arsenal. We lost that 2-1, and went straight through the third into the fourth division a season before Bobby Smith arrived. :thumbsup:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Great stuff, but I think you'll find our first appearance on "Match of the Day" was the bottom of the table clash we had against Halifax Town during the dreadful winter of 1962/3. Kenneth Wolstenholme was the commentator. It was the only football league match played that day, and we had the 'bright idea' to hire a road-tar melter to unfreeze the pitch. We lost 0-1. There was also a 'friendly played against Arsenal. We lost that 2-1, and went straight through the third into the fourth division a season before Bobby Smith arrived. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info about TV coverage in the early 1960s. Very much appreciated. At the risk of splitting hairs, the Match of the Day programme began in August 1964, so I used that as the starting point. Nevertheless, it's great to find out that the Albion were on the telly before then! :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here