Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Robert Eaton Giant Flag 2

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Blimey, let's just keep it for home games at Falmer, the away games are just too logistically difficult to oraganise. Do you see that huge Liverpool flag at their away games? I don't think so.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I would agree home games only except for special away games is the way to go. Surely it is not beyond the wit of Man to get funds, buy and hold at Falmer. At least one would hope.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
I would agree home games only except for special away games is the way to go. Surely it is not beyond the wit of Man to get funds, buy and hold at Falmer. At least one would hope.

This time let's set up a special fund raising bank account, a paypal account and do bucket collections at games. The Argus would be very happy to publish the bank details and we'd raise the money, no problem. I'll be happy to help in any way necessary, of course.

Without being too insensitive does it have to have the REMF tag? In the past I have given and supported REMF but never knew the man, some may feel excluded on this basis.
It is not beyond the realms possibility that an untitled supporters flag may attract more donaters and become a reality again. The last thing the flag would need is supporters not being arsed to help raise it at games as they feel no sentiment towards a titled flag.

Just thinking about it.

HCQ

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Err, no. Don't leave it at Falmer. Don't leave it to the club, they're f***ing useless. Don't leave it in any sort of situtation where there isn't one person taking specific responsibility. If you want something done properly, do it yourself (I'll happily keep it at mine if no-one else can be found, would have happily got it out the hut if anyone had bothered talking to me when I wasn't going to home games at Withdean, I only lived round the corner - but hey, six months of my life organising the funding for it, ho fookin' hum.) Bank account and all that is easy to organise, need to be a bit more careful sorting out the flagmaker this time though, I can remember almost sending the heavies round last time, think the bloke had a nervous breakdown halfway through mekkin' it or summat like that...

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Fantazia Flags. I remember it well. Yes, our flag broke the flagmaker.

Sorry about that.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
The original flag was made from the wrong material.
It was just a huge tarpaulin.
The flags you see rippling around Stanford Bridge, Liverpool etc are made from parachute material.
Basically, you can fold them up and put them in you pocket.
It may be worth doing a bit more research on this?

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
That's the most sensible suggestion so far! That and keeping a Giant Flag for home games. We'll have such a superb stadium that it seems quite unnecessary to ask the flag to slum it elsewhere!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
i have emailed a few companies that make giant flags and sent them the type of design required ile wait until all the quotes come in before passing on the info and cost ect,as we dont really know what is wanted on the flag (words ect) ive left that info off for the meantime for pricing purposes,any additional wording design ect will obviously cost more but the quotes may give some idea of the cost.

Those ive emailed ive simply asked for the biggest they do and for the flag to be a light/tough material in blue and white striped design incorperating the words Brighton and hove albion fc and the seagulls and the seagull on the kit badge. There are some mega huge ones to be had i think the biggest i saw was 800ft long and 90ft wide ! ! .

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
i have emailed a few companies that make giant flags and sent them the type of design required ile wait until all the quotes come in before passing on the info and cost ect,as we dont really know what is wanted on the flag (words ect) ive left that info off for the meantime for pricing purposes,any additional wording design ect will obviously cost more but the quotes may give some idea of the cost.

Those ive emailed ive simply asked for the biggest they do and for the flag to be a light/tough material in blue and white striped design incorperating the words Brighton and hove albion fc and the seagulls and the seagull on the kit badge. There are some mega huge ones to be had i think the biggest i saw was 800ft long and 90ft wide ! ! .

Thanks for doing that, let us know if you hear anything :thumbsup:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
This company made this..

big_tie_red_loud_building_no_people.jpg

They are...
email]

It's probably made from what is known as .5 ounce ripstop nylon. It's what boat spinnakers are made from, it's made in different weights but .5 would do the job and be pretty bullet proof.
Along time since I've had a big spinnaker made and I'm out of touch with 2010 prices, the last one I had made was for a 50' racing yacht, so about a 90' triangle. No problem for one man to carry around.
That's a bit bigger than I intended, but it will give you a idea of the size, I think it cost about 2.5 grand, but was a more expensive sail maker and was 20 years ago.
A Flag is easier to make as it's flat. Pm me if you need more help.

Attachments

• Aida 001.jpg
    Aida 001.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 468

Lush

Mods' Pet
Just as another aside, while the stewards and Richard the safety officer are generally supportive, the last thing they want is a big flag going over when everyone is piling in trying to get to their seats minutes before KO.

This meant when it did go over at Withdean it had to go over 10-15 mins before KO, when there was barely anyone there to see it or pass it over. A lot of people who were there didn't want to have their view of the warm-up/Gullys Girls etc blocked for even a minute by a load of canvas, so it tended to race along.

I can't see Falmer being much different.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
this company made this..

big_tie_red_loud_building_no_people.jpg

it's probably made from what is known as .5 ounce ripstop nylon. It's what boat spinnakers are made from, it's made in different weights but .5oz would do the job and be pretty bullet proof.
Along time since i've had a big spinnaker made and i'm out of touch with 2010 prices, the last one i had made was for a 50' racing yacht, so about a 90' triangle. No problem for one man to carry around.

Mr banana has a good point about a safety cert. Though shouldn't be a problem.

A flag is easier to make as it's flat.
Aida 001.jpg

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here