Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Robert Eaton Giant Flag 2

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
After the thread on here and that ridiculous article in the Argus can we consider getting a new Giant Flag to be named the Robert Eaton Memorial Flag in time for the first game at Falmer. This would seem the ideal time to parade the new flag and will give time to raise the funds and select the company. We can also look at the logistics of were it will be stored and who will volunteer to help to transport it in due course.

No one was to blame for the first flag going missing and it got 4 years good service.

Last time this was mentioned around £ 600 was pledged. The first flag cost
£ 2000 and I reckon £ 1000 would get a decent new flag.

What do people think ?.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I'd chip in. Might be worth getting this on the Main Forum?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Can you make your pledges here please.

I will pitch in with £ 20 to get the ball rolling.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I hate to be a pessimist but I cannot see any reason why another Giant Flag won't be as difficult to look after as the first one! It's not the raising of the money that is the issue it is the sheer logistics of how to manage the thing.

Even assuming the club are prepared to find somewhere to store it at Falmer, who will promise to transport it to away matches? It'll need someone who ALWAYS takes a car big enough to contain it and the crew of six needed to carry it. Now perhaps, if asked nicely, the Supporters Club might agree to take it on their coaches but who will commit themselves to take it down to Conway Street and, on the homeward journey, follow the coaches back there in order to take possession of the flag and get it to Falmer? Who will liaise with the Safety Officers at each away ground in order to get permission to take the flag in? Who will organise the gathering up of enough people (without a flouncy binfest developing) to help carry it? And carry it back to whatever form of transport it is going home in.

Will this person be you Gareth? Because someone has to take overall responsibility for all things flag-related BEFORE taking money off anyone. If there's an assumption that it'll sort itself in the end, it won't. And we'll waste another £1000 on a Flag.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
All valid points Roz which need to be ticked off. Of course I would like to think I have shown I have enough savvy to be able to organise things over the years and no money has been or will be taken off anyone until the logistics have all been thoroughly looked into.

I am happy to put myself forward to do that if people want me to.

We have over a year to do that. This thread is just a feeler.

:down:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I agree with Roz (and I said something similar when this was first discussed). The LAST thing we need at the moment is people pledging money, that is doing it arse about face. Initially we need a 100% guaranteed, set in stone, written in blood agreement from a group of about twenty people (you'll always need reserves) that they will act as custodians for any future flag. When you've got that, when the infrastructure is in place, then you can start the fund rasing.

We mustn't make the same mistakes we did last time - and currently it looks like we are. I can't be the only person who contributed to the last one but won't contribute to this one until I know it will be done properly. And I mean properly not just promises that it will be 'looked in to'. So people: stop pledging and start voulunteering.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
All fair points by Roz but the previous flag was a great success and we are only here as a builder decided to not bother looking into the bag and dump it on a landfill site. I know it was hard work getting it too and back from matches so we need people to volunteer for the tasks as Roz stated and a " flag team ".

1. Flag team to cover points raised
2. Decide company and flag/costs
3. Get pledges
4. Order flag

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
All fair points by Roz but the previous flag was a great success and we are only here as a builder decided to not bother looking into the bag and dump it on a landfill site. I know it was hard work getting it too and back from matches so we need people to volunteer for the tasks as Roz stated and a " flag team ".

1. Flag team to cover points raised
2. Decide company and flag/costs
3. Get pledges
4. Order flag

I thought the bag was found? It was just that the flag was missing. Anyway, apart from that, yes, I agree with your list; my only gripe is you should have started off with 'Any volunteers for the flag team?' rather than jump straight in with 'can you make your pledges here'.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Well you've told me haven't you. Consider myself well and truely put in my place. Sorry.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
£20 - On a more positive note if we can have a permanent home for it at Falmer it will probably last longer.

Also suggest the material in looked at as the previous was far too heavy.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
will happily pledge £20, its not the cost thats inhibiting though it is the organization that is the problem.

All fair points by Roz but the previous flag was a great success and we are only here as a builder decided to not bother looking into the bag and dump it on a landfill site.
Sorry ... that's not so.

It was dumped because it was left outside the stewards' hut at Withdean by whoever didn't go to the trouble of finding the keyholder and getting the stewards' hut door opened so that it could be safely returned to its proper, dry storage place.

This might well have been on a Sunday after an away match. Or it could have been after a home game, while the stewards' room was still locked up - because they work long after the fans go home.

Anyway, it stayed outside, wrapped in a not very waterproof bag, for MONTHS - with nobody ever taking the responsibility to get it moved inside - where it would have been safe. It eventually disappeared - at the same time that all the rubble from the Hospitality Suite building works was cleared off the site at Withdean.

It's hardly the whole story to say "a builder decided to not bother looking into the bag". Why should "a builder" inspect every item of junk that is piled up on a building site?

On a more positive note if we can have a permanent home for it at Falmer it will probably last longer.
ONLY if the custodians of the flag can GUARANTEE that they will be able to call out the keyholder to the storage space when they need to collect it or return it.

How easy will that be? What if the keyholder isn't on site at the time? - say, Sunday morning after a big game at Villa Park? Or Saturday morning when all the club staff have already left for Birmingham?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
why not keep it permanently erected/hanging at Falmer Stadium (obviously with the club's/safety officer's permission) in a position where it can't be stolen, damaged, etc? A smaller more portable version could be taken to away matches

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Sorry ... that's not so.

It was dumped because it was left outside the stewards' hut at Withdean by whoever didn't go to the trouble of finding the keyholder and getting the stewards' hut door opened so that it could be safely returned to its proper, dry storage place.

This might well have been on a Sunday after an away match. Or it could have been after a home game, while the stewards' room was still locked up - because they work long after the fans go home.

Anyway, it stayed outside, wrapped in a not very waterproof bag, for MONTHS - with nobody ever taking the responsibility to get it moved inside - where it would have been safe. It eventually disappeared - at the same time that all the rubble from the Hospitality Suite building works was cleared off the site at Withdean.

It's hardly the whole story to say "a builder decided to not bother looking into the bag". Why should "a builder" inspect every item of junk that is piled up on a building site?

This is new news to me Ed. I did not know this history. Anyway this thread is degenerating into a lot of bitching. We can make it happen if we want to but if its too much hassle which seems the jist of it lets just forget it and move on. Thats the long and short of it basically.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here