Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WSF. The Origins Of Casuals In Brighton.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Gotta say ' leave the guy alone' you don't have to read it. He may not be the best writer around but it just might be interesting to hear a view of what was happenning in that era and compare it with my/your own memories. If you were not supporting the Albion then it might tell you something about the past. If you were around the Albion scene at the time it could be of interest to you. If it is of no interest to you, don't read it.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I just couldn't help myself, I'm afraid, & popped in to see how things are 'panning out'. I must say I'm enjoying this jog down somebody's memory lane tbh. When's the next instalment due?

*Nips off to find alarm clock in readiness*

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Interesting read

thecavern

Jan 13, 2010
Apologies for any shortcomings in the prose.

I do have to get this down on the fly during work, without scope for lengthy rewriting. Anyone who writes understands the process.

Anyway many thanks to those who have kindly offered support. I hope I will
reward your patience in the end.

cheers.

thecavern

Jan 13, 2010
"Tealeaf’s (shoplifters) have long been a part of the Brighton black economy and more so before the days of cctv and anti-theft tags."

"What an insight. Cracking stuff."

It wasn't meant as an insight. Only a preamble .

Look I appreciate your feedback I genuinely do.

cheers,

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
"Tealeaf’s (shoplifters) have long been a part of the Brighton black economy and more so before the days of cctv and anti-theft tags."

"What an insight. Cracking stuff."

It wasn't meant as an insight. Only a preamble .

Look I appreciate your feedback I genuinely do.

cheers,

Are you some sort of ex-con who has been doing a creative writing course...or are you a total wind-up?

NSC decides.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Cavern, why are you avoiding the question about whether or not you support BHA? You're not ex-ICF per chance? One of Cass Pennant's footsoldiers?

???

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Dan f***ing Brown could write a monologue on here & he'd get criticised, it's just NSC.
Anyway it's a lot better than a large amount of the drivel that normally appears, it's a sub culture tale which is interesting for me because I grew up in Shepherd's Bush not Brighton.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Cavern, why are you avoiding the question about whether or not you support BHA? You're not ex-ICF per chance? One of Cass Pennant's footsoldiers?

???
if he isnt bha,i would think maybe ex headhunter,esp if he drank in the maytree

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
So the casual movement amounts to a collection of mentally unstable blokes whose two interests in life seem to be beating people up and stealing overpriced sports casual wear?
Is that it?

D

Deleted User X18H

if he isnt bha,i would think maybe ex headhunter,esp if he drank in the maytree

Is that the Maytree that used to be along Old Shoreham Road bottom of Stapley Road top of Olive?

thecavern

Jan 13, 2010
An Excerpt From Part 2 which I hope to post on Friday night. By the way I am not condoning
the events described in these recollections nor would I wish to glorify this behavior. I present it merely as a curio of the past.

"One time we invaded a game at Selhurst Park. It was 82 I think Palace at home to Sheffield Wednesday. It was decided this would be an ideal game to infiltrate Selhurst Park and cause mayhem. At Brighton Station we were an easy 100 lads. At Preston Park another forty. It had been planned for weeks in advance I remember an older guy Beaky a local face had been involved with the planning. It was all cloak and dagger nonsense with splitting up diversions at East Croydon and Selhurst Park to confuse the OB. The first kick off was at East Croydon. A firm of Palace boys were spotted on another platform and were called out.. The fight spanned across several platforms with scuffles breaking out everywhere. I saw a distress flare go whizzing across me to a fence where some Palace fans were climbing out. It was pandemonium. A by-stander was pummelled for whacking someone with his briefcase and Women were screaming. Beaky was furious. We had blown our cover already for a flash in the pan. But he need not have worried. What happened next at Selhurst Park would become infamous"

cheers

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here