Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WSF. The Origins Of Casuals In Brighton.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
That copper smudger, it wouldn't be a pc bond by any chance? A fat tall fucker who stood at the front of the Northstand in the mid 80's with an older, bald amiable copper.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Does anyone remember Jim Hanaghan, Poulter, Tex and Boris?

Where are they now?

Jimmy H, A legend according to my brother who used to go to football with him ( Bosun )as far as i know he. probrually lives in Eastbourne.

Biggest bust ups i saw oxford(last game of season), chelsea, Birmingham city,southampton (facup)@the goldstone mid 80's also sheff utd when kg got the corner flag and started battering utd fans just looked so funny...

Away Palace(day) Palace (nite) Aldershit,Peterboro (snow cup)Gillingham 1-1 draw( got nicked)Norwich (game b4 cup final rampaging through M+S) ,Ipswich what a massive crew there they went up we went down although i think we would of gonedown if we had won anyhow, then back to Old St to the Spread Eagle fun days.Also Brentford sticks out as encountered Qpr and they couldn't get out the pub cause off the debris
flying in...KB
Also Notts county playoff outside some boozer when scarreb (notts f) tried to take the fruit machine takings to++er then got pummlelled by OB and dogs running loose.

Remember Newcastle are also in birmingham this w/end so lots of ob will be around be safe keep em peeled!

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
That copper smudger, it wouldn't be a pc bond by any chance? A fat tall fucker who stood at the front of the Northstand in the mid 80's with an older, bald amiable copper.

No, Smudger was definitely a Smith, can't remember his first name now. He had dark swept back hair a 'tache. He didn't actually Police inside the ground that much as I can remember. Most of the OB in the ground were from Hove and drafted in from the rest of Sussex for the bigger games in the Old Div 1 days.

First time I went to go into the North Stand, graduating from the West Stand, feeling big and brave with a few mates, who's on duty at the turnstile? Yep, MY DAD!

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
Come on cavern,can't go to bed until i've had my nightly dose of nostalgia from the 80's,keep it coming

Last edited:

sten

sister ray
Jul 14, 2003
eastside
In all the years of run-ins with the fella could never work out his name - Corelli? Crelly? Crelligan? and more have all been suggested but who cares - deserves a spanking on sight!!!

Your not wrong ,had a pure hatred for anything brighton,remember him upsetting another lad at our place who had a soft spot for the albion,soon backed down when he saw the size of 1 of his brothers who came down our work to confront him,years later 1 of my mates from horsham had a tangle with him on the train at gatwick:thumbsup:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I remember Birmingham at home in 84, I brought a train down from Victoria mid morning and it was packed with their Zulus. Thought to myself this is going to be interesting this afternoon and was mental all afternoon and evening.
I can remember them round the back of the West trying to break down the big gates to get in and it carried on down town well into the evening.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Strange that as a colleague at work was in Zulu Dawns mob

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I went then as well .Try again.I also saw your outfit win 4-1 at the old den in about 1978 or so.You had no fans then either.:cry:

We did have a fans there but many had decided to dodge this & watch the cricket final.

I went with a group of lads (including a now Albion director) and we watched with the home fans, giving fake annoyance & polite applause as we thrashed them.

Great to get back to the car and then shout SEAGULLS!

back home in time to see all the fans on the pitch after the cup final win.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What gets me is those that mock this have no idea what is was like and what fun it was.

To this day I have never regretted anything that happened in that era and was lucky to be around at the right time when it all happened.

Happy days to say the least.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Remember being in the Hove Park b4 kick off against Birmingham and around 40 of them came in and only 5 of us sitting down at a table having a pleasent bevvy, when one of them came over and started to EAT his glass,with this my mate who was and is a spurs supporter takes umbridge and stands upp and tells them we f'''ing ran you lot at st andrews i'm pleasently shitting myself as they gather around us when the glass eater tells them shut up and buy the boys a drink.....:eek::eek:

also during the game loads of bits of the east terrace got hurled into there end i think at the end of the game the bit we were in was about 6"lower hasten to add i didn't go back to the Hove park after the game :nono::shrug:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Remember being in the Hove Park b4 kick off against Birmingham and around 40 of them came in and only 5 of us sitting down at a table having a pleasent bevvy, when one of them came over and started to EAT his glass,with this my mate who was and is a spurs supporter takes umbridge and stands upp and tells them we f'''ing ran you lot at st andrews i'm pleasently shitting myself as they gather around us when the glass eater tells them shut up and buy the boys a drink.....:eek::eek:

also during the game loads of bits of the east terrace got hurled into there end i think at the end of the game the bit we were in was about 6"lower hasten to add i didn't go back to the Hove park after the game :nono::shrug:

Was that in 85 ? I believe a 'religious' poster(whom is recently
banned from here) attacked them in the West stand with the contents of a broom cupboard:clap2:

sten

sister ray
Jul 14, 2003
eastside
Was that in 85 ? I believe a 'religious' poster(whom is recently
banned from here) attacked them in the West stand with the contents of a broom cupboard:clap2:

Well they did come in that bit between the lego and the west throwing bags of rubbish at us,never forget the guy leaping off the lego 2 join in:clap:

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Pretty sure it was '85 wookie bet the zulu's nicked or should i say taxed it of the holy man...LOL

Anyone remember Man city when they came down west st all wearing light/dark blue patrick tops and got ran down to the beach? think that was when we beat them in the league game in '82 and someone didn't arf give Joe corrigan some stick in the north stand all game...surprised he came and played for us:dunce:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I remember another Fulham game where we had the battle of Parsons Green.

That was the next stop up the line on our way home from a midweek game and Fulham were waiting to ambush the train. Albion piled out and there was a battle on the platform and one of those big pltform bench seats was hurled down the stairway at the retreating Fulham fans.

bullshit detector

Back in the garage
Nov 18, 2003
Well written stuff from Mr Cavern. Me, I just observed. Not into football violence, though
understand the buzz for those that were.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
think that was when we beat them in the league game in '82 and someone didn't arf give Joe corrigan some stick in the north stand all game...
that was my brother...!

I was a fairly innocent 13 year old and didn't really know what was going on - but he'd come down on the train from Nottingham and had apparently had about 14 pints before the game, resulting in a slightly bizarre and incessant tirade targetted at big Joe... "Joe! Joe! You're rubbish... here comes Robbo again... etc, etc"

happy days :smile:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here