Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It’s forecast to be extremely cold in SE England from the 19th Jan, but too early to say whether that include precipitation.

That's the danger of only viewing the GFS Operational run in isolation. It's used by many forecasting sites etc and today's run is at the cold end of possible outcomes. It's the thick black run below.

IMG_20190106_141323.jpg

The overall outlook is showing tantalising signs of possible cold spells, but they're always in week 2 and never develop or remain into the reliable time frame.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
That's the danger of only viewing the GFS Operational run in isolation. It's used by many forecasting sites etc and today's run is at the cold end of possible outcomes. It's the thick black run below.

View attachment 103570

The overall outlook is showing tantalising signs of possible cold spells, but they're always in week 2 and never develop or remain into the reliable time frame.

can you put that in language an idiot like me will understand please?

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
can you put that in language an idiot like me will understand please?

There are many possible outcomes (synoptically) from mid month, and the level of confidence in any particular outcome is low. There is still a chance of colder / snowy weather, but we need to wait a few days to see how the models incorporate the effect on the recent SSW (Sudden Stratospheric Warming) before we can call anything.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

<image removed to save space>

Agreed, and to that I'd add as well that it's the danger of looking at one forecast run in isolation. All of the models are struggling to figure out what's going to happen at the moment, which is being seen in the Op runs flip-flopping between warmer and colder solutions from one run to the next.

Having said that, from what I've seen there's a growing trend towards seeing colder solutions within the range of possibilities ... assuming the SSW and resultant vortex split fall favourably for cold weather in the UK. There's been tantalising hints of significant northerly / nor-easterly events dragging polar air over the UK later this month / early next.

There are many possible outcomes (synoptically) from mid month, and the level of confidence in any particular outcome is low. There is still a chance of colder / snowy weather, but we need to wait a few days to see how the models incorporate the effect on the recent SSW (Sudden Stratospheric Warming) before we can call anything.

Indeed. Last I saw there's a possibility that the Vortex split caused by the SSW could send one of the daughter vortex's into an area that would be bad if you want cold and snow in the UK.

Annoying that it's all still sitting far enough off in the future that the modelling is horribly unreliable (especially the GFS at the ranges we're looking at).

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Re any possible cold weather associated with the result of the SSW, the latest GFS ensemble still is unsure of whether it's cold or mild at the end of the run. Still a wide range of temperatures available.

IMG_20190107_131845.jpg

We DO have a couple of chillier days later in the week (1st circled period), but the later spell is still TBD.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Before Christmas. the Met Office's 4-week forecast was predicting an increasingly likely cold spell, with easterly winds and an increasing likelihood of snow, for mid-January.

Now they're forecasting it for the end of January/beginning of February.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think this particular 'Beast from the East' is going to materialise.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Feeling more and more like yet another warm, wet winter TBH

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I made the mistake of checking the netweather forum about a week ago. The usual goons were calling for snow showers midweek this week opening the door to a new ice age next week.

A check at the weekend and they'd made their clockwork 'push it back a week' and then when I checked yesterday saw a couple of posts talking about '2nd half of February' so didn't bother any further.

I'll wait until I see it on this thread before I start stockpiling food

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I made the mistake of checking the netweather forum about a week ago. The usual goons were calling for snow showers midweek this week opening the door to a new ice age next week.

A check at the weekend and they'd made their clockwork 'push it back a week' and then when I checked yesterday saw a couple of posts talking about '2nd half of February' so didn't bother any further.

I'll wait until I see it on this thread before I start stockpiling food

Still potential 'out there' but nothing sustained showing. Nothing to get excited about yet.

If you're bored of the mild shit, at least tomorrow and Thursday will be cooler.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here