Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I had to defrost the boiler outlet again this morning - the jet of water that emerged once I'd melted the ice was impressive.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I've given up caring about snow now, so here's a photo of a jumping spider wearing a raindrop as a hat. Just because.

jumping-spider-waterdrop-hats-uda-dennie-5.jpg

D

Deleted member 22389

Don't think there will be any more significant snow fall today, regardless of what the met office.

Last edited by a moderator:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've given up on it......modest covering Monday night of an inch or two, nothing else materialised in Mid Sussex. Looks like another 10 year wait for the next chance then...........................

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The big freeze will be over this evening, lasted mon eve - fri eve, a decent spell but a non event for snow down here. See you for 2018/19

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Very light drizzle here in West Worthing, also the temperature has risen to just -1 now so I think that's that.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
It’s been fun.
As cold a spell as I can remember. Some decent snow certainly in comparison to recent years. Been a while since I’ve seen snow in the ground 4 days running. As per normal though we miss out on the big stuff. The fat lady has begun to sing her tune now and I think that it is all over till we get the express newspaper warnings for the coldest winter ever next November

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I had to defrost the boiler outlet again this morning - the jet of water that emerged once I'd melted the ice was impressive.

I had the same issue again, plumber mate told me to pull out the white plastic condensate pipe from under the boiler and stick a bucket under it.

Worked fine since then and can catch the water in the bucket until the external pipe defrosts of its own accord.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s been fun.
As cold a spell as I can remember. Some decent snow certainly in comparison to recent years. Been a while since I’ve seen snow in the ground 4 days running. As per normal though we miss out on the big stuff. The fat lady has begun to sing her tune now and I think that it is all over till we get the express newspaper warnings for the coldest winter ever next November

.....we'll all get to enjoy the barbeque summer and record high temperatures first though, surely ? Bound to be in the Express within the next week.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Drove to see our daughter in Kingston yesterday...it was ok until about 10 o'clock we were driving down the a23, and were hit with freezing rain....that was fun. Drove into Mile Oak and the roads were ok,...turned into graham crescent....slowly. Creeping along, approached the top of the hill( for this of you who know the area) and the car started to slide....luckily there was a gap and the car hit the kerb missing the parked cars by inches.....reversed all the way out and eventually made it home.....looking back on it, if the car had slid down the hill, I have no idea if we would be her now! We certainly would have taken out at least 50 cars on the hill and god knows where we would have ended up. A very scary experience!

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
.....we'll all get to enjoy the barbeque summer and record high temperatures first though, surely ? Bound to be in the Express within the next week.

Very true I’ll look forward to them telling us this summer we will be hotter than Dubai, Greece, Spain, India, Maldives ect ect before the inevitable disappointment of 10 sunny days all summer

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Drove to see our daughter in Kingston yesterday...it was ok until about 10 o'clock we were driving down the a23, and were hit with freezing rain....that was fun. Drove into Mile Oak and the roads were ok,...turned into graham crescent....slowly. Creeping along, approached the top of the hill( for this of you who know the area) and the car started to slide....luckily there was a gap and the car hit the kerb missing the parked cars by inches.....reversed all the way out and eventually made it home.....looking back on it, if the car had slid down the hill, I have no idea if we would be her now! We certainly would have taken out at least 50 cars on the hill and god knows where we would have ended up. A very scary experience!
Considered driving up Graham Crescent this morning and pretty soon changed my mind!! Definitely the worst road in that area.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Freezing rain hurts ! It’s like hail but more pointy it feels like the tattooist is doodling on ones chops , I can’t recommend this as any sort of winter fun , roll on summer

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
They're all just guessing

Yup. Snow is notoriously difficult to forecast accurately. Looking at the radar last night you could see why the met office extended the Amber warning zone east when they did. There was a blob off the coast that looked to have the potential to drop some heavy snow on Brighton and north up to Uckfield area ... except the systems generating the heavier falls off the coast lost volume as they made landfall and we got diddly squat.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Freezing rain hurts ! It’s like hail but more pointy it feels like the tattooist is doodling on ones chops , I can’t recommend this as any sort of winter fun , roll on summer

Ah, that's ice pellets your talking about. Just had a mix of that and freezing rain here.

Ice pellets are literally rain that freezes in the last part of its journey so you get jagged little shards of ice.
Freezing rain is similar, but the rain doesn't have time to freeze BUT the water is super-cooled below zero, and it flashes to ice as soon as it hits a surface.

The area around Folkestone is experiencing freezing rain currently, but had ice pellets earlier.

The reason we're getting this is because although it's cold enough for snow through 95% of the atmosphere at the moment, there's a thin later not too far up where the temps are a couple of degrees above freezing.

That's due to recede later, so it will help turn whatever we get this afternoon back to snow.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Highly appropriate

[tweet]969504655385550848[/tweet]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports