Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
ooooo my garden water butt has thawed out and im now able to water the peonys that are buried under 2 ft of snow , spring has sprung

Thats terrible, those poor ponys, i'm gonna report you to the RSPCA

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
there fine look seeeeeee

snow_horse.jpg

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Having just had a look at the models, all of the main ones have a strong Siberian to Scandinavia block (High Pressure) in place by next week, so the building blocks for another very cold outbreak from the East are very much in place. I'm not going to look beyond 5 days yet.

Papa

Thanks for the update. :thumbsup:

You know earlier you said you expect it to get up to around 4C I think you might be wrong, my thermometer says its 0.4C and the Met office latest observation thingy agrees with me.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Thanks for the update. :thumbsup:

You know earlier you said you expect it to get up to around 4C I think you might be wrong, my thermometer says its 0.4C and the Met office latest observation thingy agrees with me.

1.8C here at present.

Yoda

English & European
Having just had a look at the models, all of the main ones have a strong Siberian to Scandinavia block (High Pressure) in place by next week, so the building blocks for another very cold outbreak from the East are very much in place. I'm not going to look beyond 5 days yet.

Papa

Does look like a very brief respite this weekend doesn't it.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
1.8C here at present.

It must be very tedious for you PL, being the weather guru and all, but my lady is due to deliver next week and I was kind of hoping we would'nt be under a foot of snow on the big day..Are you fairly confident we are likely to get another freeze? if so I need to borrow my mates 4X4.
Cheers fella.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It must be very tedious for you PL, being the weather guru and all, but my lady is due to deliver next week and I was kind of hoping we would'nt be under a foot of snow on the big day..Are you fairly confident we are likely to get another freeze? if so I need to borrow my mates 4X4.
Cheers fella.

There's still plenty of uncertainty at this 'range'. The real experts I 'knock about with' online are saying it won't be until Friday before there is enough model agreement to 'call' next week's weather.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
There's still plenty of uncertainty at this 'range'. The real experts I 'knock about with' online are saying it won't be until Friday before there is enough model agreement to 'call' next week's weather.

The BBC are indicating that cold conditions return from Moday after a total thaw this weekend I notice.

I have said on here that no-one seems to be able to predict much until a day or so before it occurs but you have proved your worth before hence my question.

Cheers anyway mate.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The BBC are indicating that cold conditions return from Moday after a total thaw this weekend I notice.

I have said on here that no-one seems to be able to predict much until a day or so before it occurs but you have proved your worth before hence my question.

Cheers anyway mate.

This may seem a cop out, but I feel that the weather is simply different to the norm this winter. Whereas in every winter over the past 20 years the milder weather would always 'win', and possible snowy conditions would eventually disappear from the model output, this winter that has not happened. Forecast models and forecasters seem unable to 'deal' with this, as the default always is a quick return to a mobile Westerly flow, with an active atlantic flow.

Having had a detailed look at the GFS ensemble output, I'd say that we are looking at a colder spell again next week; whether that is accompaned by snow is unsure.

There is also a sign that the milder spell is getting squeezed from both ends, with some models forecasting Saturday's rain to fall as snow in the Midlands and at altitude, which would put paid to a few footy matches. This is a good example of 'a different winter' as the norm would be a 5 day cold spell which eventually gets eroded to a couple of days and then back to the usual.

The usual this winter seems to be cold, with snow.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Bored shitless of this snow now. Fun for a while but it's starting to affect things and stop me doing things I want to do. Selfish, as people are in worse situations but bloody annoying nonetheless!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
fantastic poweder up the downs north of Mile Oak, could only handle a couple of hours due to the lack of decent chair lifts & gondolas though :lolol: thawing quite rapidly back in Shoreham now.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
They give their grid reference as TQ123062, which via Multimap puts it in High Salvington, in fact the OS view puts it pretty much of the 70m contour, so a good 54m higher than here. That's why it's colder!

Papa

Still only 0.5 here IN BN2 at sea level...:shrug:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Having had a detailed look at the GFS ensemble output, I'd say that we are looking at a colder spell again next week; whether that is accompaned by snow is unsure.

There is also a sign that the milder spell is getting squeezed from both ends, with some models forecasting Saturday's rain to fall as snow in the Midlands and at altitude, which would put paid to a few footy matches. This is a good example of 'a different winter' as the norm would be a 5 day cold spell which eventually gets eroded to a couple of days and then back to the usual.

The usual this winter seems to be cold, with snow.

Well I have studied this at length too.

It looks like some black lines and massive arrows are heading out way.
bracka.gif

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Still only 0.5 here IN BN2 at sea level...:shrug:

What are you measuring on?

I've got an Oregon Scientific sensor in the back garden - reading 3C &
a Vion one at 1.8m on the north side of the house - reading 3C

So, they agree that here it's 3C.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here