Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Helter

Jan 4, 2010
Clear sky here so going to be worse than this morning when it took me half an hour to get my screens cleared for suitable for driving.

Really not looking forward to stepping out my front door at 4.30 tomorrow morning :eek:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Clear sky here so going to be worse than this morning when it took me half an hour to get my screens cleared for suitable for driving.

Really not looking forward to stepping out my front door at 4.30 tomorrow morning :eek:

Half an hour?? Have you not got any heating in your car? Leaving mine alone without any scraping does it in five minutes.

Helter

Jan 4, 2010
Half an hour?? Have you not got any heating in your car? Leaving mine alone without any scraping does it in five minutes.

Of Cause I have but I haven’t a new shiny new car like you rich people, mine takes 15 minutes to warm up before the heater kicks in so I get my credit card out and de-ice the ice inside and out, old fashioned style, mirrors and back.

I have next door to think about and leave my house at Half four in the morning, don’t want to wake them up by me putting my foot on the accelerator and the engine roaring waking the neighbourhood up :(

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Ok... here's the Met Office fax chart for tomorrow night. Notice that the occluded front has a low at the end, which is right over us.

4245865122_42a22ba872_o.jpg

And here's the corresponding GFS precipitation chart for the same period.

4245865128_aaa20155a3_o.jpg

And if you fancy a bit of fun, start here:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=30&mode=2

and step through the Prec Type charts for the next few days. Depending upon which run you're looking at, it might show a lot of snow Friday - Saturday or it just missing to the south.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Papa...you are thew reason why the WeatherCrab retired (remember him?!).

Superb weather reporting!

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
So simples question will we get snow, and if so when?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Of Cause I have but I haven’t a new shiny new car like you rich people, mine takes 15 minutes to warm up before the heater kicks in so I get my credit card out and de-ice the ice inside and out, old fashioned style, mirrors and back.

I have next door to think about and leave my house at Half four in the morning, don’t want to wake them up by me putting my foot on the accelerator and the engine roaring waking the neighbourhood up :(

a VERY lukewarm bottle of water will sort your windscreen out in seconds, never failed me yet. Not hot or your windscreen will probably crack!

Helter

Jan 4, 2010
a VERY lukewarm bottle of water will sort your windscreen out in seconds, never failed me yet. Not hot or your windscreen will probably crack!

Funny you should mention that, I've always thought about tipping hot water over the screen but always thought about what if the window cracked, I’d be up Creek Street.

I’ll take a mellower approach in the morning, Just thought of a cunning plan, I’ll put newspaper all over the car and see if that keeps the nasty frost away, you've got to experiment in the conditions to see what's best :clap2:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Funny you should mention that, I've always thought about tipping hot water over the screen but always thought about what if the window cracked, I’d be up Creek Street.

I’ll take a mellower approach in the morning, Just thought of a cunning plan, I’ll put newspaper all over the car and see if that keeps the nasty frost away, you've got to experiment in the conditions to see what's best :clap2:

newspaper will just stick and be even worse to get off! use an old sheet, that'll come off easy and you can keep it in your boot!

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Sorry Papa, this is all like a foreign language to me!

To simplify it for you, and to answer Gerbil's question.... we will probably get snow overnight Tuesday into Wednesday, and maybe throughout Wednesday... it will be heaviest to the west for a change though. I'd say we could get up to 4-5 inches in places.

After that, in much colder air, snow showers are possible in a much more unstable airstream.

Friday into Saturday and Sunday is when it is possible to get another big batch of snow from the low coming up from the SE... I say possible here, as some model output has it clipping the SE and missing most of the region.

Ok?

Papa

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
To simplify it for you, and to answer Gerbil's question.... we will probably get snow overnight Tuesday into Wednesday, and maybe throughout Wednesday... it will be heaviest to the west for a change though. I'd say we could get up to 4-5 inches in places.

After that, in much colder air, snow showers are possible in a much more unstable airstream.

Friday into Saturday and Sunday is when it is possible to get another big batch of snow from the low coming up from the SE... I say possible here, as some model output has it clipping the SE and missing most of the region.

Ok?

Papa

ahh thanks :thumbsup:, i live in shoreham, do ya reckon there will be enough snow to close my school ?

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
ahh thanks :thumbsup:, i live in shoreham, do ya reckon there will be enough snow to close my school ?

Depends upon whether the teachers can make it in.... as it'll be falling overnight with cold temps I'd say it might be touch and go for many schools.

Alternatively, it may amount to very little down here, if the front doesn't develop the low pressure to the East. Were that to happen I'd guess it would fragment and give little snow.

Please be aware that this is only based upon current forecast output... it can (and will) change before tomorrow night, and even more before the weekend.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Depends upon whether the teachers can make it in.... as it'll be falling overnight with cold temps I'd say it might be touch and go for many schools.

Alternatively, it may amount to very little down here, if the front doesn't develop the low pressure to the East. Were that to happen I'd guess it would fragment and give little snow.

Please be aware that this is only based upon current forecast output... it can (and will) change before tomorrow night, and even more before the weekend.

oh right, thanks :thumbsup:

Helter

Jan 4, 2010
newspaper will just stick and be even worse to get off! use an old sheet, that'll come off easy and you can keep it in your boot!

Oh thanks a bunch, why post now, just been outside and put paper all over now I’ve got to go back outside in the freezing cold and dismantle it all and put a sheet over.

The sheet sounds a better option but if I come back and some smart arse has suggested another option then think again, I’ll not be going back out there :eek:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

Ok?

Papa
:bowdown:

Very interesting indeed, I'm fascinated by all things weather so enjoy reading your posts, also, would you say that the BBC weather forecast is utter shite? (it changes on an hourly basis)

Yoda

English & European
:bowdown:

Very interesting indeed, I'm fascinated by all things weather so enjoy reading your posts, also, would you say that the BBC weather forecast is utter shite? (it changes on an hourly basis)

The BBC tend to mainly use the UKMO short range model's, where as the other sites (UK Weather Forecast - Radar, Alerts, News and More - Netweather.tv & Metcheck.com - UK Weather Forecasts - Live Data - Long Range Weather Forecasts ) tend to use a range of forecasting model's from the UK and Europe.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
We're having loads in W Yorks at the moment. Work from home day today I think

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here