Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Interestingly, tonights GFS operational run doesn't let the Biscay Low win towards the end of next week. Would be even better if that came off.

Yes. The low just fails to deliver a blizzard to The south coast, but only by about 50 miles. All to play for.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
What's the best weather app to have on your phone? I have the BBC and it doesn't seem that accurate to me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

GypsyKing

Feb 4, 2013
I think you misunderstand why I do this. I'm not here to boast or show off. I enjoy providing people with both data to allow them to make their own decisions when it comes to weather and also to provide informed weather advice where wanted.

This winter has seen a few very near misses and marginal setups down here, whereas further North some places have seen plenty of snow etc.

That's the way winters go at this latitude alongside a warm ocean.

Anyhow, next week promises to be very interesting from a meteorological perspective as despite the lateness in the season we may see some of the coldest air over Sussex in living memory, which will probably generate ice days in places, which is very rare, especially in late Feb.

Conversely U.S. is all about his ego and is now evidently getting frustrated that he is not get the recognition he perceives that he deserves by predicting that it won't snow very often in the south of England... genius.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Conversely U.S. is all about his ego and is now evidently getting frustrated that he is not get the recognition he perceives that he deserves by predicting that it won't snow very often in the south of England... genius.

Bit harsh

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Farmers seem to know more about the weather than most , my village is polluted with them and the general ooooh aaaaarrrh consensus is that it’s going to be bloody cold but no real snow from Sunday through to the following Monday then it warms up again but the day before it does warm up the east coast especially will get a dumpage of epic proportions , I don’t have the GFS model for this info as most of them were blottoed at the time but I don’t think they will be far off the mark pissed or not .

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
BBC on board with this now

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Why does everyone seem to want snow ? Makes it bloody difficult to get around and, in the case of the Albion, could well lead to matches being postponed and more chaos in the form of fixture pile up at the back end of the season. I hate the damn stuff.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
Why does everyone seem to want snow ? Makes it bloody difficult to get around and, in the case of the Albion, could well lead to matches being postponed and more chaos in the form of fixture pile up at the back end of the season. I hate the damn stuff.

This spell will not postpone any Albion fixtures.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The arrival and degree of cold air is now 'fixed', as in all models agree that it will happen.

What needs tweaking is:

1. Exactly when the coldest air arrives - there is still a range from early Sunday to Monday
2. The specifics of the wind direction once the cold flow is established... this is key to determine
3. How much snow we will get - the wind direction is vital to getting snow here. We need something between NE and ENE for convective or stream based snow in an unstable flow. A direct easterly risks giving bone dry and cold air, which can't pick up moisture as it crosses the Straits of Dover.
4. Whether we get any disturbances / low pressure cells in the flow to deliver more widespread snow
5. How long the cold spell lasts - there is some support for an extended cold spell of over a week, but there is still variations available.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
The arrival and degree of cold air is now 'fixed', as in all models agree that it will happen.

What needs tweaking is:

1. Exactly when the coldest air arrives - there is still a range from early Sunday to Monday
2. The specifics of the wind direction once the cold flow is established... this is key to determine
3. How much snow we will get - the wind direction is vital to getting snow here. We need something between NE and ENE for convective or stream based snow in an unstable flow. A direct easterly risks giving bone dry and cold air, which can't pick up moisture as it crosses the Straits of Dover.
4. Whether we get any disturbances / low pressure cells in the flow to deliver more widespread snow
5. How long the cold spell lasts - there is some support for an extended cold spell of over a week, but there is still variations available.

The snow bit is a concern and I guess we won't really have a good view of that until Saturday/Sunday. I fear we (Worthing/Findon) may be a little too far West for this but hopefully not.

Yoda

English & European
Has anyone looked at the GFS' experimental UK Snow Depth charts for the end of next week? :eek:

By the following Monday (I know, I know), it looks like this:
uksnowdepth.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here