Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
We were basing on max day time obviously. The models are already reversing btw the snowmaggedon

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Yoda

English & European
I think temperatures here will average 8 c this week, 11,10,9,7,6,6,6 so predicted 8-12 c, big thing is next week, said 5 c, may be 3 c for a couple of days but forecast now showing dry days anyway. We will see, it is just a bit of fun really

Who are you and what have you done with the real Uncle Spielberg?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Are they? Which model have you seen that's showing that?

still-more-accurate-than-the-gfs.jpg

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
We were basing on max day time obviously. The models are already reversing btw the snowmaggedon

Are they? I've not seen that.

So are they saying sleet and no snow now?

As I see it, given the temperatures on which there is fairly widespread agreement now, there can only be either dry or snow, no in between.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Are they? I've not seen that.

So are they saying sleet and no snow now?

As I see it, given the temperatures on which there is fairly widespread agreement now, there can only be either dry or snow, no in between.

Yep. That's the one thing that's not clear.

I think I know where Unc is coming from. Today's lunchtime BBC forecast for next week didn't mention snow for next week, just Bitterly Cold and Dry. So, it's possible. However, that is a little odd, when the Met Office (who the BBC don't use anymore) say this:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/long-range-forecast

UK Outlook for Sunday 25 Feb 2018 to Tuesday 6 Mar 2018:

Sunday will be dry but cold for many, with some sunny spells. Snow showers may develop across eastern and southern areas where fresh winds will make it feel bitterly cold. Through next week it is likely to become even colder with strong easterly winds, bringing an increasing threat of snow showers. These will be heaviest and most frequent in central and eastern areas, and some spells of more prolonged snow are possible at times, particularly in the east but also perhaps in parts of the south and southwest. The cold weather will continue through the rest of the period, with the northwest seeing the best of any brighter weather, and here it may be less cold at times, although brisk winds will continue to bring a marked wind chill.

So, the risk is there...

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I think temperatures here will average 8 c this week, 11,10,9,7,6,6,6 so predicted 8-12 c, big thing is next week, said 5 c, may be 3 c for a couple of days but forecast now showing dry days anyway. We will see, it is just a bit of fun really

How are you defining "this week" is it Sun-Sat or something else? Assuming Sun-Sat, Sun = 11, Mon = 10, Tues = 9, and then for Brighton BBC have for the remainder: 7,6,5,5. And their forecast is pretty much the warmest one around. MetOffice has gone for 7, 5, 4, 5. Netweather have 5, 5, 4, 3.

None of those average out above 8 ... they're all below. Besides which, your original statement very much read like you were predicting every day would be in the 8-12 range, not that the week as a whole would average to that. It's all moving towards a very, very cold next week and I'm fully expecting BBC to adjust their temps from Saturday onwards colder than they currently have them.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
How are you defining "this week" is it Sun-Sat or something else? Assuming Sun-Sat, Sun = 11, Mon = 10, Tues = 9, and then for Brighton BBC have for the remainder: 7,6,5,5. And their forecast is pretty much the warmest one around. MetOffice has gone for 7, 5, 4, 5. Netweather have 5, 5, 4, 3.

None of those average out above 8 ... they're all below. Besides which, your original statement very much read like you were predicting every day would be in the 8-12 range, not that the week as a whole would average to that. It's all moving towards a very, very cold next week and I'm fully expecting BBC to adjust their temps from Saturday onwards colder than they currently have them.

Er mon to sun this week

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Lots of sites and videos on twitter saying we are in for it big time. Statements such as "storm of century" "won't see a forecast like this in our life time again".

Could this really be happening......

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Lots of sites and videos on twitter saying we are in for it big time. Statements such as "storm of century" "won't see a forecast like this in our life time again".

Could this really be happening......4

I think some of the synoptic setups are going to be very unusual, but given the lateness of the season I don't think we'll see anything approaching record low temps (but it will be blooming cold). On the snow front it's still too early to make a call, but there is a signal from the ECM particularly for a more organised period of possibly disruptive snow Tuesday into Wednesday.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I think some of the synoptic setups are going to be very unusual, but given the lateness of the season I don't think we'll see anything approaching record low temps (but it will be blooming cold). On the snow front it's still too early to make a call, but there is a signal from the ECM particularly for a more organised period of possibly disruptive snow Tuesday into Wednesday.

Not Sunday Monday now?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
All I’m going to say is that the storm/snow forecasting globe ornament thingy I got given for Christmas that I had until now assumed not to work is now going crazy. I have no measure as to how normal this is other than the fact it has been completely benign since I received on Christmas Day.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
According to the BBC, they are still not sure if the very cold air will drift south of the UK, around south of the country, the whole of the country, or even how far West it will reach.

Basically, they don't want to look bad if they get it wrong.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I don't believe anything until the DAILY EXPRESS says so.

Until they quote AccuWeather telling us how awful it will be (and then add a Met Office spokesman suggesting something far more sedate) I won't accept it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here