Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The 18Z Operational run is a bloody delight.. feast your eye while it's stil there... just in case it happens!

We get a first bitter flow from the East from Sunday

Snow 1.gif

And that ends with a cut off low from the NW and heavy snow, then a brief Easterly, and it ends with a proper cold Easterly again.

Snow.gif

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Steady as she goes.

Highlights:

Saturday an occluded front will push in from the West, bring snow / sleet to the north and sleet / rain to the south. This will clear SE, introducing a cold easterly flow in its wake.

Sunday to Wednesday looks nailed on cold, with daytime max temps something like Mon 4C, Tues 3C, Wed 2C with sharp overnight frosts. During this period it's not looking bone dry at all, with precipitation present in the form of showers on Sunday, Monday and a more organised frontal feature on Tuesday and into Wednesday.

I'd expect to see snow at some stage.

Sussex Ensemble
graphe_ens4_kft7.gif

After that, as you'd expect there's more scatter, but there is still a majority going for cold conditions, with no mild weather in sight.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Steady as she goes.

Highlights:

Saturday an occluded front will push in from the West, bring snow / sleet to the north and sleet / rain to the south. This will clear SE, introducing a cold easterly flow in its wake.

Sunday to Wednesday looks nailed on cold, with daytime max temps something like Mon 4C, Tues 3C, Wed 2C with sharp overnight frosts. During this period it's not looking bone dry at all, with precipitation present in the form of showers on Sunday, Monday and a more organised frontal feature on Tuesday and into Wednesday.

I'd expect to see snow at some stage.

Sussex Ensemble
graphe_ens4_kft7.gif

After that, as you'd expect there's more scatter, but there is still a majority going for cold conditions, with no mild weather in sight.

Ooh hello. A nice late burst of winter would be very welcome.

Yoda

English & European
Very little in the way or precipitation, but Monday has 100% currently showing for snow chance on the GFS 12z run. (Oh! In Worthing area)
graphe3_1000_296_178___.gif

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
The 18Z Operational run is a bloody delight.. feast your eye while it's stil there... just in case it happens!

We get a first bitter flow from the East from Sunday

View attachment 93695

And that ends with a cut off low from the NW and heavy snow, then a brief Easterly, and it ends with a proper cold Easterly again.

View attachment 93696
Any update on this Papa?

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Still looking cold from Sunday to Thursday. Showers possible Sunday and Monday and possibly more organised snow on Tuesday (Still uncertain) Showers Wednesday and maybe another organised system Thursday but there's a lot more uncertainty about that, both in terms of precipitation and temperature

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Latest Fax Charts from the Met Office make interesting viewing

fax36s_rdj2.gif

fax60s_zxr1.gif

Bags of potential.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Fax as in Fax?

What does this mean?

I think it means thier fax machine is on a tilt.

They are called Fax charts as they are created by human meteorologists and in the past were designed to be faxed to broadcasters. The significance of them in general is they represent the view of the Met Office taking into account all data.

What these 2 show is firstly an occluded front close to us from the East under cold upper air and 2nd a potential streamer across the South East corner.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
They are called Fax charts as they are created by human meteorologists and in the past were designed to be faxed to broadcasters. The significance of them in general is they represent the view of the Met Office taking into account all data.

What these 2 show is firstly an occluded front close to us from the East under cold upper air and 2nd a potential streamer across the South East corner.

Which means snow?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Is that a Thames streamer?

The local SE news forecast was saying snow at 100 metres in Kent & Sussex on Sunday night.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I follow a few weather experts on Twitter, aswell as keeping an eye on BBC and the Met Office and one thing has struck me as being clear. When it comes to predicting snow in Sussex, no one has the absolute foggiest idea about whether it will snow in our neck of the woods.

We are either too far south or too far west to get snow most of the time which for a snow lover like me is hugely depressing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I follow a few weather experts on Twitter, aswell as keeping an eye on BBC and the Met Office and one thing has struck me as being clear. When it comes to predicting snow in Sussex, no one has the absolute foggiest idea about whether it will snow in our neck of the woods.

We are either too far south or too far west to get snow most of the time which for a snow lover like me is hugely depressing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a different climate either side of the Downs, so Sussex cannot be treated as a whole.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Which means snow?

Possibly - see [MENTION=1877]supaseagull[/MENTION] s comment below

Is that a Thames streamer?

The local SE news forecast was saying snow at 100 metres in Kent & Sussex on Sunday night.

Yep. Pretty much a streamer - with these lots can go wrong for us round here. But if they 'come off' they can be amazing.

It can be, and we DO live in an aea where we shouldn't expect that much snow, but a proper NEly is the exception - being so close to the N Sea across the SE can be very good, but it's a hard setup to get.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There's a different climate either side of the Downs, so Sussex cannot be treated as a whole.

Very true. On Sunday morning a couple of weeks ago it was calm and didn’t feel too cold in Burgess Hill. On the top of the Downs the wind was howling and it snowed (and settled) for a couple of hours.......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here