Page 1159 of 1415 FirstFirst ... 1596591059110911491156115711581159116011611162116912091259 ... LastLast
Results 11,581 to 11,590 of 14146

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't mind cold temperatures but today is a bit too much. Apparently it's the coldest Jan 5th ever recorded in Toronto. It's currently -20C with the windchill making it feel more like -30C, with even lower temperatures forecast tonight. I thought my face was going to freeze walking to the subway this morning.
    I can imagine the utter carnage conditions like that would cause in England , out of curiosity do the schools close and supermarkets empty with a light dusting or is that just a British thing .
    "SOLLY MARCH IS GIVING JOHNATHAN GROUNDS A ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE "

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Taybha View Post
      I can imagine the utter carnage conditions like that would cause in England , out of curiosity do the schools close and supermarkets empty with a light dusting or is that just a British thing .
      It's not snowing and all the roads and pavements are absolutely caked in salt, so there's no issue in that respect. It takes quite a big snowstorm to close anything down. There's usually a little bit of travel chaos when it starts snowing heavily, but everything gets cleared pretty quickly.
      Abso-bloody-exactly

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
      I don't mind cold temperatures but today is a bit too much. Apparently it's the coldest Jan 5th ever recorded in Toronto. It's currently -20C with the windchill making it feel more like -30C, with even lower temperatures forecast tonight. I thought my face was going to freeze walking to the subway this morning.
      Remember visiting friends in Etobicoke and they had a ton of snow overnight, but the place was up and running pretty quickly. New York City had 8-9" of snow yesterday and they were back to normal today - Heathrow gets a dusting of snow and they shut the place
      "It's all bullshit folks, and it's bad for you" George Carlin
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      People often say look at how other countries deal with snow, but in other countries it is a regular occurrence so they have the infrastructure to cope. Why spend millions on snow ploughs when it snows one day every four years or so.
      Every time I think that Gordon Smith will just raise that ball over Gary Bailey - He never does! If only #006600
      Unregistered User

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
      Does my post make any sense to anyone? On my iphone earlier all these pictures of New York were upside down, but now on my laptop they are up the right way. Odd. Anyone else?

Is there a technical thing.
      On my iPhone (using Safari) and yes the pics are upside down.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by CliveWalkerWingWizard View Post
      People often say look at how other countries deal with snow, but in other countries it is a regular occurrence so they have the infrastructure to cope. Why spend millions on snow ploughs when it snows one day every four years or so.
      Indeed. It’s totally understandable why we are not geared up for it.

0 Not allowed!
      Do any of the Michael Fish's on here think there is any faint sniff of a winter and snow 2017/18 still or is it yet another write off ? Not had any real snow for over 7 years, and an Easterly is a once in a lifetime occurrence now. Looking at the forecasts, it seems very benign for at least 2 weeks with no cold weather to be seen and then we have 3-4 week left of any potential winter. Snow in the south of england seems to be a thing of the past now
      Spielberg is GOD.

0 Not allowed!
      The folks on the netweather community aren't giving up yet. Also, for us in the south the real winter is Jan and Feb and even a little into Mar. It's still possible.
      The Disowned Masses

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Audax View Post
      The folks on the netweather community aren't giving up yet. Also, for us in the south the real winter is Jan and Feb and even a little into Mar. It's still possible.
      Once you get into Feb the sun's strength (at least down here) starts to increase quite quickly. I know we've had some memorable snow in Feb and later, but for a lengthy spell with snow on the ground NOW is the prime time for Sussex.

I see nothing too promising in the data, but we certainly aren't in a classic long fetch SW wind, with temps >13C. Once the Atlantic pushes the block and the stagnant air away I expect a NW / SE aligned jet with opportunities for snow for Scotland and N England, and maybe some flakes further south, but they will only be fleeting as colder air is drawn south as each system passes through.

So, if you look at the Ens graph for somewhere in West Sussex, we DO have & chances of snow

But these are associated with short bursts of colder air, as the 2M temp plot supports

Clearly, the GFS is only 1 of the 3 main models, but I would expect to see any possible 'interesting' weather reflected in the ensemble somehow.
      Follow @kmoorman1968 on Twitter
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by CliveWalkerWingWizard View Post
      Which would be fine but we're also not geared up for leaves, sun, wrong type of rain and just about every season we do have. We live in England, leaves are not a major surprise unless you are network rail...