Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
North East corridor of the States getting hit by Winter Storm Grayson (who comes up with these names, Humphries next?) with NYC expecting 5-8" and cities further north like Boston expecting 12-18" and winds up to 80 mph - nasty

View attachment 92544

Once a storm is large enough to meet naming criteria, a team of meteorologists will alphabetically designate it in the media with a name on the list. The list for winter 2017-2018 is:

Aiden, Benji, Chloe, Dylan, Ethan, Frankie, Grayson, Hunter, Inga, Jaxon, Kalani, Liam, Mateo, Noah, Oliver, Polly, Quinn, Riley, Skylar, Toby, Uma, Violet, Wilbur, Xanto, Yvonne, Zoey.

Sound like a bunch of snowflake names, not bomb cyclones :laugh:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Got a lot worse in the last 4 hours - Snow Day tomorrow

jan 17 6.jpg

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Blimey must be nasty, it’s literally turned the place upside down.

Does my post make any sense to anyone? On my iphone earlier all these pictures of New York were upside down, but now on my laptop they are up the right way. Odd. Anyone else?

Is there a technical thing.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The Award-Winning Official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2017-18 Season]

Once a storm is large enough to meet naming criteria, a team of meteorologists will alphabetically designate it in the media with a name on the list. The list for winter 2017-2018 is:

Aiden, Benji, Chloe, Dylan, Ethan, Frankie, Grayson, Hunter, Inga, Jaxon, Kalani, Liam, Mateo, Noah, Oliver, Polly, Quinn, Riley, Skylar, Toby, Uma, Violet, Wilbur, Xanto, Yvonne, Zoey.

Sound like a bunch of snowflake names, not bomb cyclones [emoji23]

I assume they just screen scraped a couple of parents Facebook groups from Southwick & Portslade to get those names

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Forecast here tomorrow, cold with a max daytime temperature of 9c, that is above normal but now is the new cold, such is the warmth down here since 2010

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
" very cold " tomorrow with a max termperature of only 9 c according to the bbc, only 2 c above normal for the time of year

Yoda

English & European
I totally agrre on the sentiment, but isnt the average for January lower than 7 c ??

Actually, the average High for this day of the year is 9c, with an average Low of 6c. The only anomalies over the next 10 days are a High of 8c on the 14th an Low of 5c on the 11th & 14th.*

*Information provided is for Worthing, although I cannot see Brighton being much different.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Actually, the average High for this day of the year is 9c, with an average Low of 6c. The only anomalies over the next 10 days are a High of 8c on the 14th an Low of 5c on the 11th & 14th.*

*Information provided is for Worthing, although I cannot see Brighton being much different.

No way the average low is 6 c for early January, it is 2 c with a daytime max of 7 c here

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
BBC Weather site shows the January average for London as High 6 c Low 2 c

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I don't mind cold temperatures but today is a bit too much. Apparently it's the coldest Jan 5th ever recorded in Toronto. It's currently -20C with the windchill making it feel more like -30C, with even lower temperatures forecast tonight. I thought my face was going to freeze walking to the subway this morning.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
BBC Weather site shows the January average for London as High 6 c Low 2 c

BBC Weather site is wrong then. Try the Met Office site, which is giving daytime 8.1c and night 3.1c for London (Greenwich Park). For Brighton they give 7.8 / 2.1 (Shoreham). And the nearest station for me in Uckfield gives 7.5 / 2.1 (Herstmonceux West). [Edit to add: these are averages for the 30 years up to and including 2010. We've had warm winters since then, so if Yoda's got access to updated averages through end of 2016 I can see the numbers given being correct.]

Note that these are all full-month averages as well. There's actual daily averages available as well if you know where to get them, and from looking at the Nov-Dec-Jan-Feb graphs it's plausible that the first week or so of Jan is, on average, slightly warmer than the rest of Jan.

Last edited:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I don't mind cold temperatures but today is a bit too much. Apparently it's the coldest Jan 5th ever recorded in Toronto. It's currently -20C with the windchill making it feel more like -30C, with even lower temperatures forecast tonight. I thought my face was going to freeze walking to the subway this morning.

I can imagine the utter carnage conditions like that would cause in England , out of curiosity do the schools close and supermarkets empty with a light dusting or is that just a British thing .

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I can imagine the utter carnage conditions like that would cause in England , out of curiosity do the schools close and supermarkets empty with a light dusting or is that just a British thing .

It's not snowing and all the roads and pavements are absolutely caked in salt, so there's no issue in that respect. It takes quite a big snowstorm to close anything down. There's usually a little bit of travel chaos when it starts snowing heavily, but everything gets cleared pretty quickly.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

Remember visiting friends in Etobicoke and they had a ton of snow overnight, but the place was up and running pretty quickly. New York City had 8-9" of snow yesterday and they were back to normal today - Heathrow gets a dusting of snow and they shut the place

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
People often say look at how other countries deal with snow, but in other countries it is a regular occurrence so they have the infrastructure to cope. Why spend millions on snow ploughs when it snows one day every four years or so.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Does my post make any sense to anyone? On my iphone earlier all these pictures of New York were upside down, but now on my laptop they are up the right way. Odd. Anyone else?

Is there a technical thing.

On my iPhone (using Safari) and yes the pics are upside down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here