Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The temperature will peak at 5 degrees c. It will feel bitterly cold.

I assume that the BBC weather folk have decided that in an effort to make themselves understood by the majority of the population, saying that it will be bitterly cold, when that is how it will feel, is more realistic (and likely to lead to fewer complaints) than saying it will be chilly.

Similarly, they will describe conditions as blustery or wild and windy rather than referring to the Beaufort scale.
It's scientifically inaccurate (and doubtless infuriating to weather nerds and amateur meteorologists), but easily understandable for the population at large.

I think it has been mentioned that TV forecasts has in my view shifted towards the media hype rather than the usual terminology, some will agree some wont.

Weather needs a sliding scale of its science, temps, precip, wind etc. it needs and has a clear set of definitions that allows all of us to determine exactly what is happening, otherwise it can never be accurate.

For example if you were to email a colleague which rely's on a weather forecast, it might be unhelpful for you to call todays weather bitterly cold, it would be unlikely he would then interpret that as 5c unless he knew your own nuances and so on.

What term would you use for 'ice day' those days that never reach 0C here in Britain ??

But you cannot just changed the parameters

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
What's the darker patches that don't move,isn't that band shown to early for the snow/rain whatever that we are expecting

I've assumed that is London! Slightly stupid choice of colour for cities.

Flex Your Head

I think it has been mentioned that TV forecasts has in my view shifted towards the media hype rather than the usual terminology, some will agree some wont.

Weather needs a sliding scale of its science, temps, precip, wind etc. it needs and has a clear set of definitions that allows all of us to determine exactly what is happening, otherwise it can never be accurate.

For example if you were to email a colleague which rely's on a weather forecast, it might be unhelpful for you to call todays weather bitterly cold, it would be unlikely he would then interpret that as 5c unless he knew your own nuances and so on.

What term would you use for 'ice day' those days that never reach 0C here in Britain ??

But you cannot just changed the parameters

I don't disagree with you at all; you should see the filthy look I give the missus when she comes in the house and says "it's blimmin' freezing out there!" when it is in fact 5 or 6 degrees.
You should also see her long-suffering expression as she rolls her eyes at my pedantry.

My original post was in response to US asking where all this talk of 'cold weather' is coming from when it isn't particularly cold for January. It's coming from the weather reports on the TV which are aimed at the greater population who just want to know whether to take a brolly, slap on the sunblock, or pack a scarf. Yes it will be 5 degs c, but if you are out and about, it will feel bloody cold because of the strong wind.

If I had to email a colleague who relied on an accurate forecast, I wouldn't write anything other than the facts and he would no doubt be able to work out that a max of 5c with 25mph winds from the north east would be (and feel) entirely different to 5c with a gentle breeze from the south or whatever.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I'm in Derbyshire for work, and there's been some snow showers since about 4:00 today.

ive been reading the forums on netweather, and the models are constantly adjusting between each run and look like extending this cold spell into February. Hark back to the posts of some people writing THE WHOLE WINTER OFF a few weeks back, it makes me realise that no-one can predict the weather, and accurate forecasting beyond a few days is damned nigh impossible in our part of the world, with the various impacts to our weather. But some people never learn eh!!!

Wanna know about the weather? Look outside. Everything else is pure luck :)

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
ive just driven home from work in blizzard conditions, the snow quickly settled to about an inch deep . It could make for an interesting drive to work tomorrow

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Some daft bint posted this, taken from Facebook, on the BBC weather coverage with the excitable caption, "Believe it or not somewhere under this is my car!".

image.jpg

What!? Somewhere under that light dusting of snow is an actual car, that car shaped thing with clearly visible windscreen wipers and wing mirrors! no way, thats unbelievable. :facepalm:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
More importantly is there any need for concern re saturdays game, having rashly decided at the last minute to head up to the frozen northern wastelands.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here