Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
9C max today 5C min tonight 8C max tomorrow and then back to double figures again. What a truly AWFUL winter, week after week of sw winds, the worst possible set up for any cold weather and snow, will the wind direction EVER shift to a n, ne or e ?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
9C max today 5C min tonight 8C max tomorrow and then back to double figures again. What a truly AWFUL winter, week after week of sw winds, the worst possible set up for any cold weather and snow, will the wind direction EVER shift to a n, ne or e ?

Well, we've had a lot of NW winds, but they're rubbish for anything but clear days here.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
There is still hope - lots of potential in the model output at the moment - just need that to convert to an agreed output in the 3 day range

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells

You must be a joy to share a beer with Uncle S.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The latest GFS Parallel run (which becomes the Operational tomorrow) which runs at a higher resolution than the other output has snow potential at the weekend here, plus a cold plunge from the North, then east into next week. Plenty of potential. The ECMWF also has a very snowy outlook at medium to longer range.

HOWEVER - there is still to much uncertainty to start to have much confidence... yet

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The 6Z GFS ensembles will make interesting reading when they're complete. Suddenly a lot of Scandi Highs are appearing on the output. The weaker jet stream and a more southerly trajectory (for the jet) is allowing northern blocking to develop.

Worth keeping a close eye on.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The 6Z GFS ensembles will make interesting reading when they're complete. Suddenly a lot of Scandi Highs are appearing on the output. The weaker jet stream and a more southerly trajectory (for the jet) is allowing northern blocking to develop.

Worth keeping a close eye on.

You say that. I prefer to lazily look at the forecast on BBC.co.uk and shout "It won't snow, it never snows, it's too warm for snow" to all and sundry who will listen to me.

Basically, you can stick your reasoned and scientific approach to this.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The ensemble looks more interesting - with 15-30% snow chances throughout next week.

GFS Ensemble Sussex 13-01-15 6Z.png

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Is it ever too cold to snow? I always remember old duffers saying that when I was a lad and I always thought, tell that to the eskimos (sorry, I think that should read Inuits now).

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Is it ever too cold to snow? I always remember old duffers saying that when I was a lad and I always thought, tell that to the eskimos (sorry, I think that should read Inuits now).

Not really, I think it is born from some air that can be extremely cold comes from a very dry source and therefore doesnt deliver much snow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here