[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm really hoping that this pans out with
I'm flying in to gatwick....??
Well you mite be in trouble"

This is the 2m temp and snow % chance forecast for roughly where Gatwick is.

Screenshot_2015-01-25-13-44-09.png

So, there is a decent snow percentage from Wednesday night into Thursday.

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This is the latest GFS precipitation type forecast for 6am Thursday. Note, sleet right on the coast

Screenshot_2015-01-25-14-19-14.png

Don't take this as a solid forecast, just yet. Plenty could change

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Looking at the country file forecast...bitingly cold wind from about wednesday and they are seeing the possibility of snow at end of week..but aren't certain

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I did notice a slight dusting of snow about a week ago in lancing about a week ago when I woke up. The only event so far this winter. Cant remember anything last year either. Maybe 2 years ago for the last big snow event in Sussex.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
I did notice a slight dusting of snow about a week ago in lancing about a week ago when I woke up. The only event so far this winter. Cant remember anything last year either. Maybe 2 years ago for the last big snow event in Sussex.

it has to be march 2013 when the last big snow event happened down here, we are due one, and next week is looking good for one at the moment.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
it has to be march 2013 when the last big snow event happened down here, we are due one, and next week is looking good for one at the moment.

This morning's runs maintain the cold theme from Wednesday night through to the weekend. Always bear in mind, down here a Northerly or NW wind isn't ideal for snow.

Let's wait until Wednesday and see how the real synoptics develop.

There is still a lot of variability in the exact details, such as air temps, dew point temp and areas of precipitation.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Ok, so we're a little closer to the 'cold spell' later this week.

It all starts late on Wednesday as much colder air digs in behind a cold front that will clear East during the late afternoon.

Following this there is a chance that Sussex will see a period of snow overnight.

Firstly I need to point out that a Northerly is never ideal for snow down here, and we need disturbances in the flow for snow to penetrate this far South, so please don't treat this as a definitive forecast, more a view onto the current trends and where we might go. It's still perfectly possible that we'll just get cold sunny days and frost at night.

The chart below shows the period overnight into Thursday with upper temps just cold enough across the ensemble suite, (red circles) with decent snow percentages:

GFS Ensemble Sussex 26-01-15 6Z.png

What it also shows is a split in the model predictions from about Feb 2nd (blue circle), where me might get an extended cold spell, or a return to milder conditions

The next 2 pictures show the projected precipitation for the 1am to 7am period. So, there is still lots of potential. We'll know nearer the time if this really does produce snow.

GFS Thursday 1am.png

GFS Thursday 7am.png

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
NYC expecting 12 - 18" of snow tonight / tomorrow. My company has just declared a snow day tomorrow

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So long as it is ok for Saturday...February medal!

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Ok, so we're a little closer to the 'cold spell' later this week.

It all starts late on Wednesday as much colder air digs in behind a cold front that will clear East during the late afternoon.

Following this there is a chance that Sussex will see a period of snow overnight.

Firstly I need to point out that a Northerly is never ideal for snow down here, and we need disturbances in the flow for snow to penetrate this far South, so please don't treat this as a definitive forecast, more a view onto the current trends and where we might go. It's still perfectly possible that we'll just get cold sunny days and frost at night.

The chart below shows the period overnight into Thursday with upper temps just cold enough across the ensemble suite, (red circles) with decent snow percentages:

View attachment 62266

What it also shows is a split in the model predictions from about Feb 2nd (blue circle), where me might get an extended cold spell, or a return to milder conditions

The next 2 pictures show the projected precipitation for the 1am to 7am period. So, there is still lots of potential. We'll know nearer the time if this really does produce snow.

View attachment 62268

View attachment 62269

silly question Papa but is the white in the bottom 2 pics snow? and then the blue and green milder, Rain?

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
silly question Papa but is the white in the bottom 2 pics snow? and then the blue and green milder, Rain?

The background colour represents intensity, and the hatching colours show non-rain. White = snow Red=freezing rain (none shown). Not sure how they show sleet though.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Just enough to not drive to London will be fine

Broadly, as you move away from the Channel the odds of snow in the early hours of Thursday increases, so London has better conditions(as in dewpoint and air temps) with the only caveat being that the little feature that is modelled as causing the precipitation looks like it may pass through Southern England , so there is a northern limit to it's influence.

The latest output still shows a good chance for snow down here early Thursday, diminishing into Friday as a small remnant of a warm sector passes over the UK. If , as some output is suggesting the cold spell continues into next week, we may see colder air drawn into the mix.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here