Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Those videos are absolutely brilliant. What a buzz when they were forecast.

The 80's snow as mentioned did seem to hang around for weeks. That snow we had a few years back for me still has to be the deepest even taking into account the 80's. Was absolutely brilliant waking up to that. Over halfway up the wheels of cars

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
And where would this thread be without the week that started this whole thread.... Early Jan 2010.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHwAamQ0b9Y

Love that, but weatherman with jeans on, is nothing sacred.

I would love to see some of the 80's televised snow forecasts by the weathermen of the time, can see those snowy cloud icons, sometimes have 3 snow flakes under the cloud, that was exciting.

How about even before that the claret and blue star badge of snow on the weather maps ??

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Meh... this winter has been better for cold than the last one, at least we've actually seen some snow, but I doubt whether we will see any significant snowfall. I've given up hoping, and I'm fed up with the cold so roll on some unseasonably warm temperatures please.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm not hold out much hope given their track record for weather warnings in our region this winter.

A wise approach. It's pretty and all that, but a thin layer of snow that melts within half an hour has little value in the grand scheme of things.

kip

Aug 2, 2011
Keeping a close eye on the weather for tomorrow evening, doing a bike ride on the mountain bike trails in Stanmer woods, bit of snow should spice things up a bit :thumbsup: What you think papa??? We are setting off about 5pm

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Keeping a close eye on the weather for tomorrow evening, doing a bike ride on the mountain bike trails in Stanmer woods, bit of snow should spice things up a bit :thumbsup: What you think papa??? We are setting off about 5pm

You may have some snow on the ground from earlier in the day, and it'll be breezy and cold with a biting East wind.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

I would love to see some of the 80's televised snow forecasts by the weathermen of the time, can see those snowy cloud icons, sometimes have 3 snow flakes under the cloud, that was exciting.

How about even before that the claret and blue star badge of snow on the weather maps ??

These days they make such a damn fuss over 25mm of rain and a cm of snow it's pathetic.

Remember things like this from 80's when you knew things were bad when they cracked out the 3rd rain drop or snow flake! Remember the 87 one well given I fell headfirst through a snow drift and into a pond up on Ditchling Common. My dad had to fish me out by my ankles and all the other kids groaned because they knew it was the end of the yomp only about ten minutes in!!

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Sadly I don't think many if any of the early 80s forecast exist anymore. There were some memorable cold spells back then. Although reading through the 3-10 Jan 2010 pages on here, even a very cold and snowy spell as it turned out wasn't all snow and wasn't straightforward.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This " cold " snap is going to fizzle out over the weekend so I am putting winter 2014/2015 to bed now. See you next winter

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
This " cold " snap is going to fizzle out over the weekend so I am putting winter 2014/2015 to bed now. See you next winter

But US, weather really doesnt have a memory, there is still time for an evolution of a certain set of synoptics to deliver cold, perhaps snow, I dont think it will happen but you can never tell.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
But US, weather really doesnt have a memory, there is still time for an evolution of a certain set of synoptics to deliver cold, perhaps snow, I dont think it will happen but you can never tell.

The ECM and Meto longer range forecast (that we don't see, but get referenced by Pro forecasters on twitter) is signaling blocking later in Feb. I take that with a pinch of salt though.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
Listen guys, we never get any good snow when it comes from the north.
we always get it after when it comes from ussr. Wr will get a good dumping in about 2 weeks

I promise :moo:

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I wasn't born in 1963, but it's still worth soaking in the snowy nostalgia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DalYSIRU4rQ

That was a winter to remember.

Coast road near Roedean School, west of Rottingdean
Winter_pankhurst_1963-12-30small.jpg

A car stuck on the main road between Eastbourne and Brighton
A-man-peers-into-a-car-to-011.jpg