Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aldershot

captain nobby

Feb 2, 2009
After reading some post from yesterday about aldershot they made me think about a game . Aldershot v bha around 78/79 brighton fans took over the town and the ground anybody remember the score all i can rememberis running onthe pitch andswinging on the crossbar untill they broke' anybody out there guilty:us::us:

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
After reading some post from yesterday about aldershot they made me think about a game . Aldershot v bha around 78/79 brighton fans took over the town and the ground anybody remember the score all i can rememberis running onthe pitch andswinging on the crossbar untill they broke' anybody out there guilty:us::us:

I have vague memories of something similar, definitely earlier though, probably around 75-76. Aldershot was always a good day out.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
was that the game where Lil Fucillo got sent off minutes after coming on as a sub for a rather violent assault on a Shots player? If so that was my first away game, I went with my Dad and we stood up against the fence on the one side - I remember that incident (plus some fans argy bargy up one end) vividly. It may have been earlier than 78/79 though as by then I'd have been 14 and I'm sure I was a lot younger than that....

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
was that the game where Lil Fucillo got sent off minutes after coming on as a sub for a rather violent assault on a Shots player? If so that was my first away game, I went with my Dad and we stood up against the fence on the one side - I remember that incident (plus some fans argy bargy up one end) vividly. It may have been earlier than 78/79 though as by then I'd have been 14 and I'm sure I was a lot younger than that....

Lil Fucillo never played for the Albion - he was the Luton player whose leg Paul Clark broke.

Do you mean Paul Fuscillo? He played a lot earlier than that - around 1974 or 1975. I have no idea whether he got sent off against Aldershot though.

rcf0712

Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Lil Fucillo never played for the Albion - he was the Luton player whose leg Paul Clark broke.

Do you mean Paul Fuscillo? He played a lot earlier than that - around 1974 or 1975. I have no idea whether he got sent off against Aldershot though.
Thanks, that must be it, definitely an Albion player sent off at Aldershot in the early 70's - sorry for the mistake, couldn't be arsed to reasearch it before posting.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Easter Saturday, 1976. We had lost to Millwall the day before, meaning that promotion was unlikely, but not impossible. 1-1 draw. I seem to recall an awful penalty from Sully, which probably wouldn't have gone in even if their goalkeeper had gone off for a beer and a fag after it had been taken. But thousands of Brighton fans there and yes, the crossbar was broken. Rampages through the flowerbeds at one end of the ground, too.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Easter Saturday, 1976. We had lost to Millwall the day before, meaning that promotion was unlikely, but not impossible. 1-1 draw. I seem to recall an awful penalty from Sully, which probably wouldn't have gone in even if their goalkeeper had gone off for a beer and a fag after it had been taken. But thousands of Brighton fans there and yes, the crossbar was broken. Rampages through the flowerbeds at one end of the ground, too.

I was at that match and I don't recall any riots or crossbar breaking. And re the post above, Paul Fuschillo wasn't playing in that game, he'd gone by then - our centrebacks were, I think, Andy Rollings and Dennis Burnett - although Steve Piper also played centre back that season.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
I was at that match and I don't recall any riots or crossbar breaking. And re the post above, Paul Fuschillo wasn't playing in that game, he'd gone by then - our centrebacks were, I think, Andy Rollings and Dennis Burnett - although Steve Piper also played centre back that season.

There weren't any riots. Just thousands of Brighton fans in a sort of milling around after the game mood. I am sure the crossbar was broken. The reference to rampaging through the flowerbeds was purely tongue in cheek.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I'm with 1234 on this. As he said, we had lost a big match at Millwall the day before (Good Friday) and the 1-1 draw at lowly Aldershot just about put the kybosh on promotion for Peter taylor's side.

We had huge support in about at 12,000 crowd and we were not happy at an awful display. At the end of the game, fans swarmed onto the pitch and at least one crossbar was broken.

The 'Shots PA announcer was doing his best in chastising those naughty fans, until something was thrown through his window. As any shots fans were vastly outnumbered, they did the sensible thing and withdrew so it was hardly a riot with any violence, more just a load of very pissed off fans.

2 days later, on Easter Monday, we had another inept display in a 1-1 draw at home to Gillingham. Joe Kinnear, a Tottenham legend but merely a freeloader at Albion, broke his leg and was stretchered off to jeers from the Albion fans. A season that promised so much came crashing down over 3 games in 4 days.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
2 days later, on Easter Monday, we had another inept display in a 1-1 draw at home to Gillingham. Joe Kinnear, a Tottenham legend but merely a freeloader at Albion, broke his leg and was stretchered off to jeers from the Albion fans. A season that promised so much came crashing down over 3 games in 4 days.[/QUOTE]

I've quoted that scene so many times over the years but no-one else can remember it. Thanks FG, I'm not going senile!!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

It DID happen at that game and I know several of the guys who swung on it after the game. Most were from the Clifton pub in Worthing...... no names of course. Vinnicombe was most scathing in his report.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
If my memory serves there was crossbar breaking (there were certainly a few Albion fans on one of the corssbars) after we lost a league cup game there in 1984. It was in the days of 2 legged 2nd round ties for the league cup. We went there with a 3-1 lead from the first leg and lost 3-0 after extra time.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Remember it well, the majority of the Aldershot fans were outside the ground on the hill. I was on the The Clifton coach that day, all were innocent, honest, nicer bunch of lads you could not meet. Also think Peter Ward scored in about his 5th game.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I'm with 1234 on this. As he said, we had lost a big match at Millwall the day before (Good Friday) and the 1-1 draw at lowly Aldershot just about put the kybosh on promotion for Peter taylor's side.

We had huge support in about at 12,000 crowd and we were not happy at an awful display. At the end of the game, fans swarmed onto the pitch and at least one crossbar was broken.

The 'Shots PA announcer was doing his best in chastising those naughty fans, until something was thrown through his window. As any shots fans were vastly outnumbered, they did the sensible thing and withdrew so it was hardly a riot with any violence, more just a load of very pissed off fans.

2 days later, on Easter Monday, we had another inept display in a 1-1 draw at home to Gillingham. Joe Kinnear, a Tottenham legend but merely a freeloader at Albion, broke his leg and was stretchered off to jeers from the Albion fans. A season that promised so much came crashing down over 3 games in 4 days.

Wasn't the crowd about 11,500 ? At least 8,000 Albion fans , the crossbar at the top end of the ground was split in two when too many hung on to it and thousands of Albion fans spilled onto the pitch after the final whistle. I can remember running on and sitting down in the centre circle for a couple of minutes , dejected , as our promotion challenge was over.

rcf0712

Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Thanks, that must be it, definitely an Albion player sent off at Aldershot in the early 70's - sorry for the mistake, couldn't be arsed to reasearch it before posting.
Does anyone remember this sending off incident or is my memory fading faster than I thought?
I haven't had a chance to pull out my old 70's programmes yet and doubt I will tonight either....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here