Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How to get to Dungeness by public transport

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Just thinking of making the most of my day off tomorrow and heading down to Dungeness, I've heard so much about how interesting it is to go there and see the mixture of wildlife, shingle, old cottages and then a great big power station!

What's the best way to get there via public transport, if anyone knows? I know I should either get the train to Folkstone or Rye(I'm heading down from London) but then I'm not sure what buses are good. It lists some on The RSPB: Dungeness: How to get here but I am struggling to find their timetables online.

I can find buses the Lydd however, if that is much of a walk?

Apologies for this post, I just recalled some NSCers talking about visiting there.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

murraymint

Aug 13, 2008
It's well worth a visit, but might not take up you're whole day. I'd say getting a train to Folkestone would be better. From there you could get a bus to Hythe. A good way to get to Dungeness from there is the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch railway...although it's a little pricey. Would give you a good scenic route along the coast and on to the Marsh though.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
It's well worth a visit, but might not take up you're whole day. I'd say getting a train to Folkestone would be better. From there you could get a bus to Hythe. A good way to get to Dungeness from there is the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch railway...although it's a little pricey. Would give you a good scenic route along the coast and on to the Marsh though.

Yes I had thought about taking in the railway too.

Good, I didn't want it to be all day, I want to be back in London in good time for drinks in the evening.

Cheers for that!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I lived nearby on West Hythe for several years and if I were you I would save my money. There's nothing there except a lighthouse that will take minutes to explore. Go to Dover Castle instead.

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
beat me to it

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Train to Folkestone would be better as there is a better link up to Lydd on Sea, the Pilot Inn, which would be your nearest stop. See
http://www.stagecoachbus.com/timetables/WAVEwef260709A[1].pdf

Just a warning regarding weather, it is very exposed down there particularly regarding wind and rain, no cover at all. Saying that the desolate nature of the place is what attracts me, just miles of shingle and the nuclear power station in permanent view. Unfortunately the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch railway isn't running this time of year except at weekends which also means the cafe at Dungeness station won't be open either, they do decent fish and chips.

What you could do if you are prepared to do a days walking is get off at Greatstone, visit the sound mirrors, which are on an island in the middle of a big lake formed from an old gravel pit. Then walk south down the dismantled railway until you reach Kerton Road, head east along Dungeness Road then follow a footpath south from the coastguard cottages which will take you to the old coastguard cottages and the front of the power station. To head back follow the road past all the old wooden cottages until you reach the coastguard cottages again then head west to the Pilot Inn where you can get some grub and pick up a bus if you wish.

PM me if you want further info, I regularly go walking down there, love the place.

Rafa

May 9, 2011
Hey everyone
My question is...from Rye rail station can I get to Dungeness and see the Derek Jarman's garden by bike? I know it's a long journey, but I am into cycling big time. I am not sure if there are roads/paths along the shore... I suppose the landscape is flat and it would not be very difficult to cycle.

Many thanks

Rafa

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
Rafa,

Easy ride to Dungeness from Rye. The rail station is on the western side of Rye but you can follow the signs for the coast road running east towards Folkestone etc and cross the bridge over the Rother. Turn right off that road just outside Rye. Good views back towards Rye and the old coastal cliffs. That will take you past the golf course and Camber Sands. The Pilot is good for food and popular. Built from the salvaged timber of a ship wrecked thereabouts apparently but difficult to tell now.

Rafa

May 9, 2011
Thank you so much!

Thanks a lot. Really looking forward to this day trip now after all your comments.

Rafa,

Easy ride to Dungeness from Rye. The rail station is on the western side of Rye but you can follow the signs for the coast road running east towards Folkestone etc and cross the bridge over the Rother. Turn right off that road just outside Rye. Good views back towards Rye and the old coastal cliffs. That will take you past the golf course and Camber Sands. The Pilot is good for food and popular. Built from the salvaged timber of a ship wrecked thereabouts apparently but difficult to tell now.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Google 'Rye - Camber loop.' Some of the best cycling in the UK on fantastic, flat, smooth cycle paths and quiet roads. Stunning scenery - the wind turbines off in the distance to your right, Dungeness NP on your left, nature reserves, MOD firing range running along the cycle path for miles (if you like that sort of thing). Dungeness to Folkestone is similary fantastic, taking you into Folkestone either along the edge of the military canal or along the seafront.

There is a cycle path from Rye to Camber sands and as has already been pointed out it is flat everywhere. The other pub in Dungeness - "The Britannia" is also worth a visit for food (or certainly was when I went to it a couple of years back).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here