Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone Ground catering - your memories

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
The only bit of Goldstone catering worth missing a bit of action for was the Beer.Usually from the Hut in the North east corner.
Anyone doing the game properly would be too pissed from the Pre-match pub crawl to want to shove anything down the throat other than another pint off Bass.
It was bad enough having to fight your way out of the crowd for an urgent piss but miss even a second of the match to queue for a Rat burger? You are having a laugh.
But then,in those days,no one f***ed off ten minites early either.

The hot dogs were nice than they are at Withdean. Always got mine from the van on the left as you walked down Newtown Road to go in to the West Stand. Mars bars and programmes came from the Newsagents opposite the ground which I think became an Indian Restaurant, then I got them from the Newsagent over the road near the DIY shop.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Thankfully the smell from the Northstand urinals masked the smell comming from the catering kiosk. And the former was in puking distance of the latter.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
I was introduced to the wonders of alcohol at the Goldstone. In 1974 I was 14 and started going to see The Albion with a mate of my dads. He sometimes had a spare season ticket seat for the West stand when his mate couldn't go - just behind the directors box - and so I would go along with him instead. At half time he would always buy a beer for himself and one for me "Don't tell your dad". I would sit in my seat sipping it very self consciously. The second half usually passed in a bit of a haze. I always wondered what happened to 'Uncle Gadd'. He was so kind......

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
3p portion of chips on the way home, with lashings of salt and vinegar... as a nipper the crush and smells in the chippie combined with the post-match hubbub was a delirious sensory overload.

In my day it was a 3d portion of chips!!!
And a 2d bus ride home on the Number 26
:p

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
The guy who walked around the pitch at half time selling bags of peanuts. 3d [old money for you young 'uns]. You threw the money to him [dangerous?] & he chucked the peanuts to you with unerring accuracy. Terrace was full of peanut shells at end of the game that some poor bugger had to sweep up.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The only bit of Goldstone catering worth missing a bit of action for was the Beer.Usually from the Hut in the North east corner.
Anyone doing the game properly would be too pissed from the Pre-match pub crawl to want to shove anything down the throat other than another pint off Bass.
It was bad enough having to fight your way out of the crowd for an urgent piss but miss even a second of the match to queue for a Rat burger? You are having a laugh.
But then,in those days,no one f***ed off ten minites early either.

THEY SOLD ALCOHOL IN THE GOLDSTONE?!

Why wasn't I told? :wave:Apart from the fact I was 13 I mean...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Thankfully the smell from the Northstand urinals masked the smell comming from the catering kiosk. And the former was in puking distance of the latter.
Excellent point, lunatic. And the catering kiosk was f***ing awful.

The only time I ever used it was to buy a £2 burger during a match against Blackburn. By the time I got served, the second half had kicked off and I missed a goal. :(

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
My late pa used to tell me of the poor guy in front of him who queued through half-time for a cup of tea on a freezing, snowy Saturday in the 50's (anyone remember when footballers used to play on snow!) only to have a snowball land in his cup as he walked away from the queue. Memories are made of this. :smile:

luke17

Oct 9, 2003
I went to about 80 games at the Goldstone and can never remember purchasing anything other than a Mars Bar

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The guy who walked around the pitch at half time selling bags of peanuts. 3d [old money for you young 'uns]. You threw the money to him [dangerous?] & he chucked the peanuts to you with unerring accuracy. Terrace was full of peanut shells at end of the game that some poor bugger had to sweep up.

He would wander around the Chicken Run after half time. One of my sensoral memories of the Goldstone is his cry of "Peeaanuts! Rrroasted Peanuts!". To the extent that I now have my kids shouting "Pienaar! Rrroast 'I'm Pienaar" whenever Everton are on the box.
PG

Last edited:

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
i'm getting the words ... jesus juice

oh the anticipation of that first sip.

jesus_juice.jpg

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
What was the name of the old chap who sold the 'Evenin Argie' around the edge of the pitch? Was it Fred? He was a friend of my grandad (and dad) and used to let us sneak in at the races (...for a couple of bob of course!) when he was selling the 'Post' on the gate.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
What was the name of the old chap who sold the 'Evenin Argie' around the edge of the pitch? Was it Fred? He was a friend of my grandad (and dad) and used to let us sneak in at the races (...for a couple of bob of course!) when he was selling the 'Post' on the gate.

Fred Oliver.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here