Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thank You REMF and all its supporters

Of course they are. In an ideal world the fund would be able to help everybody who applies - and not every deserving cause does.

It's so difficult to express a opinion without sounding churlish or as if you're undermining the hours and hours of incredible enthusiasm and hard work that the parents of these lads put in. Everyone will also have a different view as to whether "new kits" and "marvellous tea kitchens" are what the REMF should be paying for. The trustees do have to make the ultimate decisions, but I think it's brave of Brovian to express his point of view.
REMF didn't give DaSH the money because it wanted to fund better tea making facilities at South Heighton (although the previous facilities were APPALLING). It made a contribution towards a refurbishment fund that allowed youth football to continue to be played at the ground. If DaSH hadn't found enough money (and most of it came from local fundraising, not from REMF), the place was in serious danger of being shut down. Keeping the ground going has made a major contribution towards ensuring that a very worthwhile local football team could remain in existence and continue to provide facilities for ALL the kids in the area who benefit from the things that football can give.

As to the general point about "points of view" ... yes, of course, these should be debated.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It is not the case as Ed said we are looking to fund superb catering facilities to local clubs and Dash from memory have a kettle and a microwave oven so I am not sure where that comment came from.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
As one of the "originals", I can see where Brovian is coming from.

This is in no way a critisism of gareth, without whome the fund would have not have got the attention it deserved and there was a case where people used the fund and the games to massage their own ego, ( maybe I can be included in that), however I personally have thought for a few years now, that after the initial donation to Los Periditos, the fund should have been wound down as it was originally set out as a vehicle to raise money for children in NYC where Robert was residing and was in some small way to help the development of football/soccer in his name.

I think it has gone beyond that now...Seagulls Specials, Local youth football, local Croydon youth football.....the African thing.

The REMF is certainly not the REMF we originally set up.....perhaps that is a good thing

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Although Robert worked in New York and lived there he was born in Brighton and supported BHAFC all his life and all his family live here so I would like to think he would have supported the help we have given to New York and to the Sussex area.
Well we'll never know will we. Do we know what his favourite charity was when he was alive? Perhaps we should support that.

Anyway, that's it for me. I was annoyed when I first heard that money was being given to DaSH although I never made any derogatory posts about it at the time. But then this morning reading about the 'marvellous tea kitchen' when other local clubs would love even a crappy old tea kitchen upset me again and I spoke my mind. I immediatley regretted it as I didn't want to be critical of the REMF or by implication of all the hard work that goes into it and I tried to delete it - which probably made it worse as by then you'd seen it and said I'd made a 'serious and spiteful' allegation and all people could see was '*Removed*'. Hence my attempts to justify my position.

All the best to you and REMF in the future.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The fund had to evolve. I can think of nothing but positives for the last 8 years and what good what have been achieved with winding the fund down ?. The fund has grown into the recognised NSC charity, Argus Sussex charity of the year, we are an integral part of the BHAFC community, we are known well at CPFC and respected, Peter Ward is now a firm supporter, Ricky Marlowe as well . We have football days, golf days, marathon runs, auctions , donations of all sorts. It has brought huge comfort and solice to the Eaton family and friends for over 8 years now.

If/when the Eatons want to fold the fund down we will respect that and do so but only then as far as I am concerned.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Apologies to Kay as she only referred to the original post. As Ed said of the £ 10000 needed for the new facilities REMF gave £ 1000 for the reasons Ed gave.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
REMF didn't give DaSH the money because it wanted to fund better tea making facilities at South Heighton (although the previous facilities were APPALLING). It made a contribution towards a refurbishment fund that allowed youth football to continue to be played at the ground. If DaSH hadn't found enough money (and most of it came from local fundraising, not from REMF), the place was in serious danger of being shut down. Keeping the ground going has made a major contribution towards ensuring that a very worthwhile local football team could remain in existence and continue to provide facilities for ALL the kids in the area who benefit from the things that football can give.

As to the general point about "points of view" ... yes, of course, these should be debated.
Sorry, I know I said it would be my last post but I can't let that past. Firstly as I mentioned loads of clubs would have loved even APPALLING facilities just to call their own. And secondly I'll accept making a contribution to the refurbishment fund to enable football to be played at South Heighton (a charmning little ground) But why does that have to extend to buying DaSH kit?

That really IS my last word!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
fair enough...I was just expressing an opinion

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Sorry, I know I said it would be my last post but I can't let that past. Firstly as I mentioned loads of clubs would have loved even APPALLING facilities just to call their own. And secondly I'll accept making a contribution to the refurbishment fund to enable football to be played at South Heighton (a charmning little ground) But why does that have to extend to buying DaSH kit?

Why don't you get elected as Trustee so that you can have a say?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
fair enough...I was just expressing an opinion

Fair enough Dave and you know I have huge respect for you with all the stuff you have done but the decision to wind down the fund rests with the Eatons not us.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I don't think I'll bother with my run if the money is going to make sure all the TOFFS at Dash can have tea and cake after the game.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I don't think anyone in REMF need to get defensive but certainly, we should listen carefully to comments like Brovian made. Personally, I think there will come a time when REMF runs out of money and at that point, serious decisions should be made about its sustainability. If we cannot fund teams that meet the objectives of the charity then it should be wound up.

Having said that, I also supported DaSH, wholeheartedly, in their application for funding. I realise that there must be clubs with fewer facilities out there but I hadn't realised we were running a competition.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This may not be the right time or place but I don't feel it is our decision to make to wind the fund down it will cease to be when the Eatons decide to and not before. The fund is named after their Son so its their fund and their decisions. If they do not want to wind it down it will continue will the help of all those who still want to.

However they will listen to people so if the concensus is it should be wound down they would probably agree but it will be a very sad day when that happens as it has been a tremendous success story down the hundreds, if not, thousands of people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here